cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SDSL

astarsolutions
Grafter

SDSL

Force9 recently announced that they were reducing their SDSL prices down to an almost reasonable monthly amount.
250k - £125
500k - £155
1M - £185
2M - £215

I have considered moving to SDSL for a while as I need a faster upload speed but there is one think that has always confused me.
Why would anyone pay £350 for the line setup and then £125 a month for a ¼ Meg connection that you would get with even the cheapest broadband connection.
Does any one know what is the difference between ADSL’s 256k upload and the 250k SDSL service?

And am I right in thinking that LLU will give 600k upload, in which case I should just wait for easynet to install their equipment at my exchange.
6 REPLIES
N/A

SDSL

Hi astarsolutions,

As far as I aware the main differences between the two technologies are that with ADSL (asymetric digital subscriber line) if you for example you have a 2MB connection like the service I have at present on premier F9.

Then the downlink is said to be a maximum of 2MB but the uplink will only ever be 256K. On BB the fastest uplink is limited by the broadband technology itself at the moment but I have heard that when MAXDSL arrives in 2006 with speeds above the current 2MB's then upload speeds would or could increase upto 1MB.

**SDSL (symetric digital subscriber line) 1) tends to be a business or teleworker type of service due mainly to the costs involved. 2) On a SDSL service of 2MB for example your uplink would be 2MB's and your downlink would also be 2MB's (same each way up or down) thats one of the main advantages really.

**you would also be wise to check any equipement is compatible with a SDSL service but it should be by now though.

**SDSL, you can only receive this service if your local BT exchange IS SDSL enabled (my BT exchange is headingley and is SDSL enabled) and to state the obvious NOT all exchanges have been SDSL enabled yet so check first if your serious about taking up this service.

**I also think that with SDSL the type of line card installed into your BT exchange is different from the nornal type used for BB and that has cost implications too.

Beyond all the above I dont know why its MUCH more costly, but perhaps its becuase the take up has been lower and that its also a young technology and not many people know about it with ADSL being so popular now.

Ivan
N/A

SDSL

Hi astarsolutions,

As far as I aware the main differences between the two technologies are that with ADSL (asymetric digital subscriber line) if you for example you have a 2MB connection like the service I have at present on premier F9.

I think you missed the original point astarsolutions was making, which was:

Why anyone would spend 125 a month on a 256k/256k SDSL service when for 14.99 a month you can get 512k/256k or even 2048k/256k ADSL which offers the same upload speed. The advantage of SDSL is supposed to be that you get faster uplinks than ADSL.

Beyond all the above I dont know why its MUCH more costly, but perhaps its becuase the take up has been lower and that its also a young technology and not many people know about it with ADSL being so popular now.

Ivan

I think SDSL technology is no newer or different than ADSL, it was simply a telecoms buisiness decision back in the early days not to widely deploy it so as not to harm BT's existing expensive and lucrative leased line buisiness model for organisatins that want to run servers.
N/A

SDSL

Hi glasstower,

Hum!! point taken.
I think SDSL technology is no newer or different than ADSL, it was simply a telecoms buisiness decision back in the early days not to widely deploy it so as not to harm BT's existing expensive and lucrative leased line buisiness model for organisatins that want to run servers.

Your probably right about that too, I meant SDSL being new in terms of 1) implementation and 2) availability to ordinary users if they wanted to buy into it.**NOT new as in just invented though.

Ivan
astarsolutions
Grafter

SDSL

Thanks for the replies
At least it isn't just me that thinks a 250k connection for £125 a month is a little strange, the SDSL lines do have a 10:1 contention ratio but this isn't worth an extra £110 a month.
Can someone from F9 comment on this!

Can someone confirm or deny the upload speeds with LLU will be 600k or even with MaxDSL (or DSLMax as I now think BT have renamed it)
N/A

SDSL

Can someone confirm or deny the upload speeds with LLU will be 600k or even with MaxDSL (or DSLMax as I now think BT have renamed it)

This is not just for LLU, but for all account types that run at 8Mbit or faster will *have to* have faster upload pipes because 256k is simply not fast enough to cope with all the acknowledgement packets that get sent back during a maxed out download.

I've seen upload speeds of 768kbit being realistically quoted for 8Mbit lines, others have quoted as high as 1Mbit uploads... not sure what it will be, but that's the ball park we are looking at, they can't leave it at 256k uploads on these new higher speed products.

For me personally, I'm waiting for 8Mbit only because I want faster uploads, I don't really need 8Mbit download speeds, I'm quite happy with 2Mbit. It's uploading that's too restrictive at 256k, especially when I'm trying to remotely access my home desktop from work.
N/A

256K limit!

At last Glasstower has said what I have been saying for years, we need faster connections that 256, I too remote access my machine from work, also if you are doing video chat with somebody, the 256K limit is too restrictive, I'd be more than happy with a 512K SDSL line, but there is no way I'm paying the price F9 at wanting to charge for it.