cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Running sites on FOL

N/A

Running sites on FOL

OK - in this respect, I am a bit of a newb Wink

Can I run a PHP public forum etc here - or a mirror for a warez clan (with no warez obviously), or is that against the ToC in some way?

How much do I pay to increase my webspace allowance?

Does the size of the mSQL DB count towards the webspace limit?

So many questions - lol Smiley

Vic
4 REPLIES
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Running sites on FOL

Hi Vic,

There's no problem in setting up a PHP forum, we've got a tutorial here on setting up phpBB, although you can of course use any other you like.

The only way to increase the amount of webspace is to upgrade to one of the ADSL Office accounts.

The size of the MySQL database doesn't count towards the webspace usage, you have a seperate 50MB for this.
N/A

Running sites on FOL

Thanks Dave,

The bit about the MySQL is OK, although I now have 2 important quieries......

The only way to increase the amount of webspace is to upgrade to one of the ADSL Office accounts.

I assume that the same appies for increased DB capacity - 50MB doesnt go far these days and you arent going to get much into 300MB for a forum/FAQ system.

Would FOL consider putting into place upgrades for users web/DB space, the same way it has now done for BW on private DSL accounts?
Space is dirt cheap to buy these days, but it would be nice to buy with your own provider rather than some remote US provider.

It would certainly put another marketing feather in your cap - if you offered the same cheap scaleable space to people who where connectivity customers only Wink

Just a thought, (trying to same having to change ISP too )

Vic
N/A

Running sites on FOL

IIRC thats been suggested before, but nothing has happened on it.

Incidently, this is the first time I've heard of a 50MB cap on mySQL usage, as every other figure i've seen quoted was that there were actually no limits on it... but if you started using 500MB (random figure, plucked from thin air )you'd be told to cut it. I woudl, however, listen to Dave's figure.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Running sites on FOL

Hi,

I guess it depends on the usage as to how far 50MB would go. These figures are taken from the PlusNet forum

Number of posts: 112942 Posts per day: 237.73
Number of topics: 19018 Topics per day: 40.03
Number of users: 22945 Users per day: 48.30
Board started: 09 Apr 2003 02:39 pm Avatar directory size: Not available
Database size: 170.64 MB Gzip compression: OFF

So 50MB would get you around 35000 posts in phpBB.

As Colin says if you get to 500MB we would be contacting you, but a few MB over isn't going to bother anyone.