cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Running a LAN

N/A

Running a LAN

Heya guys, was hoping you could help me out with a wee problem im having... I've got myself a lovely (old) PC that runs linux, alonside my winXP PC. Both run the net fine through the router simultaneously, having assigned IP's from the DHCP server. Is their a way of getting one to connect to the other to swap files through the LAN?

thanks a lot for your help guys!

GAZ B

www.krazygaz.co.uk
5 REPLIES
deepfatfrier
Grafter

Running a LAN

Well, you most certainly can (I have, and I'm not exactly brill with linux etc).
Firstly, what distro are you using? A distro with KDE or GNOME (KDE especially) makes this much easier.

The easiest way with KDE is to go into the Control Center, go to Internet & Network, and Samba Configuration. Change the workgroup name to the one on your Windows PC, and maybe make some shares from the Shares tab.
Then run "smb4k" at a bash prompt. The app should load, and you should see the name of your workgroup in the left hand pane. Expand the workgroup etc, and you should be able to see the name of your Windows PC, and be able to mount the shares on it. The shares by default mount to ~/smb4k/computername/sharename, and I've just left them as they are.

If you don't have KDE (I've never used GNOME) then you need to log in as root, type "mount -t smbfs //computername/sharename /mnt/mountpoint", and the share should mount OK. Just umount it as if it were a normal mount (umount /mnt/mountpoint).

Warning: Always umount an SMB share before you turn the Windows PC off, especially if you use smb4k to mount it, otherwise it really plays havoc with the program, and you have to edit the /etc/mtab as root, and remove the line. Not good practice Evil

Anyway, good luck! It seems to me that it's easier to get a Windows-Linux LAN share going than a Windows-Windows one! :lol:
N/A

Running a LAN

I highly recommend getting Webmin. It'll provide a nice web interface for all the administration you need including Samba configuration.

Once you're all set up you'll be able to use it remotely from any pc with a web client to quickly carry out common tasks.
N/A

Running a LAN

hey that sounds very cool. as soon as my KVM switch arrives i'll give it a go, and let you know how it works out Shocked)
G.
deepfatfrier
Grafter

Running a LAN

Ooh, cheers for that link caruth, I'll have a quick looksie myself!
N/A

Running a LAN

You will need to do a few things here.

a) install samba clients and server. This will enable unix to share out folders on the network so that windows can see it. it also does printer sharing using LPR or CUPS. When this is installed, you should be able to see the configuration file in /etc/samba/smb.conf or /etc/smb.conf

b) in /etc/fstab you will need to assign a mount to a folder which will be your share on your other computer

c) edit /etc/hosts with the permenent ip information of your machine. Make sure each machine can ping each other by hostname

more information on http://us2.samba.org/samba/