cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Running IIS?

N/A

Running IIS?

I've been given a static IP from F9, and I'm having trouble routing that through my alcatel router to IIS on XP - can anybody point me in the right direction please?

I've tried loads of settings for the router to allow through TCP connections on port 80 from the static IP to my NIC IP address, but nothing seems to get through.

I've got the NIC IP setup in the DMZ, and I've also specified port forwarding from the router's IP to the NIC IP, and also creating an entry in the NAT table.....

What am I doing wrong?

Regards,
Mark
4 REPLIES
N/A

RE: Running IIS?REPLY

> I've been given a static IP from F9, and I'm having trouble routing that through my alcatel router to IIS on XP - can anybody point me in the right direction please?
>
> I've tried loads of settings for the router to allow through TCP connections on port 80 from the static IP to my NIC IP address, but nothing seems to get through.
>
> I've got the NIC IP setup in the DMZ, and I've also specified port forwarding from the router's IP to the NIC IP, and also creating an entry in the NAT table.....
>
> What am I doing wrong?
>
> Regards,
> Mark

Hi Mark,
Heres a realy dumb question where are you using the static IP on your NIC or on the router? Where is your router situated? within your setup (physically that is).

My guess is that you need to give the router a static IP and give your NIC a completely different IP but within the same network ID range (say 169.122.56.99 and say 169.122.56.101,etc). Also I am wondering why you need to use a NAT as I think this may be making life far more complicated than is required?

Also IIS on XP are you sure this is a good combination? As far as I am aware IIS is a server based product and is not really designed to run on a client machine (desktop). Im not saying its not possible but it might not be a good combination thats all.

Ivan

--
N/A

RE: Running IIS?

I'd just like to point out that IIS is a potential huge security risk.

I would recommend using the NAT or NAPT as it offers obvious security features, i don't know what's going wrong with your setup, but i recommend setting up the dns/dhcp side of things in the router if possible, as it will deal with any ip problems you may have. - Just make sure you assign a class C network IP, as i dont believe the ip's Ivan gave are! But i could be wrong...

Liam
N/A

RE: Running IIS? The IP's Ivan

> I'd just like to point out that IIS is a potential huge security risk.
>
> I would recommend using the NAT or NAPT as it offers obvious security features, i don't know what's going wrong with your setup, but i recommend setting up the dns/dhcp side of things in the router if possible, as it will deal with any ip problems you may have. - Just make sure you assign a class C network IP, as i dont believe the ip's Ivan gave are! But i could be wrong...
>
> Liam

Hi,
In response the IP's I gave are fictional and where meant only as examples!just to clarify that one.

Ivan

--
N/A

RE: Running IIS? I Agree totally Re: IIS

> I'd just like to point out that IIS is a potential huge security risk.
>
> I would recommend using the NAT or NAPT as it offers obvious security features, i don't know what's going wrong with your setup, but i recommend setting up the dns/dhcp side of things in the router if possible, as it will deal with any ip problems you may have. - Just make sure you assign a class C network IP, as i dont believe the ip's Ivan gave are! But i could be wrong...
>
> Liam

Hi,
Yes! I totally agree with Liam here IIS is notorious
for its security notes and if you are going to patch it all the patches have to care extremely carefully applied and in a specific order. I think you might be better off looking at other web server software. I only meant that if you remove the NAT from the picture you might be able to pin point the cause or causes of your troubles. Yes!dont forget security in the end its vital of course.

Best Regards
Ivan

--