cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rubbish Speed Query

okmbok
Grafter

Rubbish Speed Query

I have 512kbps connection and using the f9 speed test I usually get 460-480kbps. Reading other posts my speed is sloow compared to othe f9 customers. Some ppl are getting 560+kbps but I thought the service is "512k"??.

Anyway, a few months ago, I looked up the BT site to find out if I could get 1Mb+ service and it said not likely. But I heard BT have increased the allowable copper distance from the exchange for 1Mb so who/how do I find out if I am now capable for 1Mb service?Huh
8 REPLIES
N/A

Mis-leading figures!!

Hi,

If nobody has told you this already then you should have been!!

You NEVER get the full speed quoted even if thats a dialup modem 56K, ADSL 512K, or even 1MB. There are several very good reasons for all this

1) the figures quoted for things like this ie. 512K at NOT to be taken literally these figures are the genrally accepted THEORETICAL maximum NOT what you will actually get in reality when you use the connection.

2) Any connection to your ISP over a TCP/IP protocol will incurr whats called an "overhead", the overhead is a small amount of the total bandwidth (usually only about 2/3% but sometimes more)and this is used the administer or manage the actual connection itself, it ensures the accurate delivery of datagrams or data packets from point A to point B,etc. TCP/IP is a connection orientated protocol and thus ensures accurate data delivery and it has error checking as part of this overhead.

So when considering a 1MB connection please realise the visable performance or visable speed of the connection or visable speed of using the internet WONT be any different from 512K (nor will you gain any advantage in uploading speed it will still have a maximum of 256K) on a 1MB you only gain when downloading VERY large files such as a complete DVD movie of several GB's.

Its for the above reasons I havent upgraded my own 512K connection as I cannot justify the extra hassle of regrading and the extra monthly fee's for very little advantage. There has been alot a hype about regrading to 1MB and also alot of misleading rubbish talked about it.

Ivan
N/A

Yet More

Yet More on the above,

The speed you experience on the internet is dependant on a whole range of variable factors such as how far you live physicaly from your nearest BT exchange, how far away you are from your ISP's point of presence such as F9, how much general traffic there is on your part of the web (local traffic), wider web traffic conditions, stellar conditions YES! the amount of solar radiation (Yes! really ), the amont of packet loss on your part of the web, how many hops (routers or networks) your requested web pages have to travel over,etc,etc.

Ivan
okmbok
Grafter

Rubbish Speed Query

Yeah I get what ur saying ...but how are ppl quoting speed test results of 560kbpsHuh
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Rubbish Speed Query

Hi,

Your line will sync at 576kbps, which includes the ATM level overheads, then you also have the TCP/IP overheads to take off.

On a speed test 480kbps is about as fast as it gets on a 512kbps service.
okmbok
Grafter

Ok whats this guy telling?...Porkies?

Since you work for f9 can you please answer my question on how to find out if I can now get 1Mb service from BT or not??

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

shaunwilson wrote:
Does anyone else feel the same or am i just being over critical??

I have been with F9 for ages now, although only on ADSL for just under 1 year. I was told by BT that I could not get ADSL because I was too far from the exchange and the noise level was too high. Between F9 and myself, we managed to "force" BT to provide me with 512k ADSL. Whenever I try a speed test, 9/10 times my results are above 550kbps and a majority show over 600!! I am happy with the speed I get, although I only have my mate on NTL to compare with

N/A

Rubbish Speed Query

I don't work for Force9, but I can tell you the answer to your question: order an upgrade to 1Mbps. (Or if you don't have an ADSL service already, request the 1Mbps service.)

You will have to pay the upgrade fee (or activation fee), but if your line is not suitable, this will be refunded.
N/A

Rubbish Speed Query

Myt order for the 1M upgrade was rejected becasue my line isnt suitable.
N/A

kep trying

i do abit of freelance pc repair etc and have found alot in my rural area who either cannet get or have been told recently they cannot get dsl their area.
that said,i have still made enquires for 5-6 people and of those,all who have tried in the last 8 weeks or less to get it and been told NO way, I have found 3 of them CAN now get dsl due to recent line upgrades their area's(and by rural i mean farm houses mid nowhere-heh)
anyway point is,theres usualy a postcode check or simular web page for assessing if you can get it your area,along with requests you can submit and add self to the numbers asking for it to be implimented,so keep trying/nagging BT and eventualy it will be available Smiley

(personaly i was nagging my people 3yrs before it was eventualy available-hopefully you wont have to wait that long - heh