Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Router "Negotiating" - No Service

Kyuuketsuki
Dabbler

Hi,

I've just come to Force 9 from Demon (supposed to be 27th April but an admin screw up brought me across on the 19th, a pain but one I can live with).

Demon's service was 512K, static IP, £24.99 with no capping and occasionally the service would screw up. Force 9's is 2Mb, static, £21.99 with capping ... since speed was largely what I'm after, that's fine! Currently the service is still at 512 and is awaiting upgrade to 2Mb.

The Demon service had a few problems from time to time but, broadly speaking, it worked. Since I've been with Force 9 (just over 2 days) the router, which does pick up its static IP has spent something like 50% of it's useable time (by which I mean daytime) "negotiating" and no one on my home network can get on to the net. I've called the helpdesk several times and in each case they tell me it looks fine, advise me to switch the router off for 15 minutes to half an hour and it should be fine again ... mostly that worked but yesterday afternoon (Wed 20th) I wasn't able to get in from around 1:30 p.m. to 5:30 p.m. This morning, before I went to work (about 5 a.m.) the service was down again (my router yet again "negotiating") ... it's very frustrating.

My network continues to work internally fine (DHCP, file shares, network printing all seem fine) and I can access my router without issue. That I can log on sometimes pretty much proves that the router is correctly configured ... I just can't get outside of my network much of the time. All I seem to have done is move from a relatively stable service (with equipment and an internal home network setup that worked fine) to one that doesn't seem to work very well at all.

I have a Belkin Wireless router which I plan to try when I get home and my USR router has USB capability so I could, conceivably, attach it via USB to my (permanent on) Windows 2003 server however, if anyone can offer any suggestions at this point I'd love to hear them.

Thanks

James
4 REPLIES
N/A

Get a line test

Hi James,

I've read your thread and what I thought was that if F9 Plusnet are saying everything looks fine with your connection at their end and yet your convinced its NOT a problem with your routers configuration then my thought would be the problem might well be with your phoneline. I would contact BT (if its a BT line of course?) and get the providor to perform a line test, too see if you have a problem with line quality such as exsessive noise etc.

**Normally you can contact them through the ordinary operator and by explaining you want a line test performed (its a faults dept issue).

Ivan
N/A

I had 2 of my friends which had exactly the same problem. I am logged into IRC for most of the day, and they are on and off multiple servers there at least 300-400 times a day, nicely filling up my irc logs Smiley

I was there when one of the guys called the helpdesk, and they suggested that everything was fine etc etc. I even took my router down to his place and the problem was the same.

He is connected to a different exchange to me, even though he lives about 30 seconds down the road, my exchange is within a stones throw, his is about 2km out of the way Smiley

We went through the same BT line tests, I am assuming they just do jitter tests or something, not working for BT, I am not quite sure, but how this proves that there is not a routing problem, or a switch fault, or even an ethernet > ATM LANE translation is beyond me.

Anyway, seems to be ok now, think it was something to do with the Redback router which had some work done on it. I believe this was happening for a few days at least, but everything is working ok now I hope.
N/A

I too have this problem with my router a D link 504t. It seems to be fine if using the internet for any length of time but if left overnight either downloading or just connected then the router would require a restart.

Sometimes a router restart is not neccessary as I never lose the router settings just the same as rocksquad doesn't.

Would be interested in a solution or a likely cause if anyone has any ideas.
Kyuuketsuki
Dabbler

Early Days But ...

... I just tried out the Belkin wireless router and not only did it connect like a flash once I'd configured the settings but it resolved another issue I believed had nothing to do with this issue (my server's DNS had died, simply would not connect to the Internet even when the router was working). What's more all of my tested machines are walloping around the Internet at a fast & furious pace (and I'm still on 512K), a pace that feels good, feels like I'd like it to!

Like I say it's early days yet but it looks suspiciously like my USR router may have been the problem.

Thanks for the input everybody :-)