cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Router problems

clairesdog
Grafter

Router problems

I have a LINKSYS wireless router and since moving to f9 from freeserve my connection keeps dropping, I am aware that with now having a static ip address I should change the router settings, it's just whenever I do this i am asked for the following:
IP Address: . . .
Subnet Mask: . . .
Default Gateway: . . .
Primary DNS: . . .
Secondary DNS: . . .

I have managed to find out all above settings apart from the default gateway. what is this and where do I find out what setting Network Setup to use.

Please go easy with me I am a complete novice with no technical understanding LOL :lol:

Now do I keep the PPP0A settings or change to RFC 1483 bridged??

I just want to kow what I should change my setting too really, I see a few topics further down the boards having same problems as me, so I know it is my router, it's just I have read through the replies and have not a clue what anyone is talking about.

Would be grateful if anyone could help, at the moment if the conncetion drops we are having to turn off router leave for 20 mins or so then turn it back on, we get another hour or so doing that. my partners laptop goes off at same time too.

Thanks
Claire.
3 REPLIES
N/A

Router problems

I hope the following will give you some help

1) You've managed to connect to web to post, so you should be able to check connection settings under your account.

As for router configuration.

Ideally you'll be using nat (192.16Cool range on local pcs, so best would be to setup router to act as a DHCP Server. This means that all internal pc's will get ip address from router, and can't be seen from the net. Your router will obtain its WAN Address from F9, doesn't matter if using static or not.

You also shouldn't need bridging as you'll be using PPOA.

Remember to stealth your router, and also ensure that your wireless part of the network is encrypted if it isn't you'll leave yourself wide open.

regards
Mike
clairesdog
Grafter

Router problems

Thanks for the reply. I have put the setting back to how they were originally as it was set up as you instructed. The only thing that is left to change is the connect on demand or always connected option.

How do I encrypt my networkHuh as for everyhting else i really don't know what to try next, I used to just be able to leave my router turned on and i just used the internet as and when I needed to. This is really only a recent thing of maybe a few weeks or so, but has definitely got worse.
N/A

Router problems

I leave mine on always connected - i cant function properly knowing I have no internet connection Smiley

The wireless options will have some settings in there to configure your network using wep, or mac address authentication etc. You need to think about making sure that your network is secure by placing encryption on there. Most of the time, a wep key will do, but if people want to break into your network, then will do.

At this point its time to start thinking how secure you want to be - bear in mind, that if you start putting security on your wireless network, you have to configure all of your wireless clients so that they can connect to this network.