cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Router and modem connection

N/A

Router and modem connection

Hi,

was wondering if anyone could help me out here. i have an SMC broadband router (model:SMC7004AWBR)and a d-link ethernet dsl modem (model:dsl-300G+). Need to know how to connect the two together for my home network. Can get the network up.. but cannot connect to the internet. Connecting to the modem directly, i have no problems connecting to the internet. Any ideas?
8 REPLIES
N/A

RE: Router and modem connection

> Hi,
>
> was wondering if anyone could help me out here. i have an SMC broadband router (model:SMC7004AWBR)and a d-link ethernet dsl modem (model:dsl-300G+). Need to know how to connect the two together for my home network. Can get the network up.. but cannot connect to the internet. Connecting to the modem directly, i have no problems connecting to the internet. Any ideas?

Well ya haven't really told us what you've tried and what didn't work. Have you set up the Gateway and DNS servers for the clients, or does it use DHCP to assign IP addresses, gateway and DNS settings? Are you using the right cable and socket to connect the router and modem?
N/A

> > Hi,
> >
> > was wondering if anyone could help me out here. i have an SMC broadband router (model:SMC7004AWBR)and a d-link ethernet dsl modem (model:dsl-300G+). Need to know how to connect the two together for my home network. Can get the network up.. but cannot connect to the internet. Connecting to the modem directly, i have no problems connecting to the internet. Any ideas?
>
> Well ya haven't really told us what you've tried and what didn't work. Have you set up the Gateway and DNS servers for the clients, or does it use DHCP to assign IP addresses, gateway and DNS settings? Are you using the right cable and socket to connect the router and modem?

erm.. i'm pretty lost at all these stuff.. first time doing this. have followed the supplied instructions. and pretty sure i'm using the right cables. i got the network done alright, networked printer working fine so i guess that part should be fine. i'm stuck at what kind of WAN settings; whether it should be static ip, dynamic ip, PPPoE, PPTP etc..?

this information better? cos i really dont know what else to tell..
N/A

RE: Router and modem connectionREPLY

> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > was wondering if anyone could help me out here. i have an SMC broadband router (model:SMC7004AWBR)and a d-link ethernet dsl modem (model:dsl-300G+). Need to know how to connect the two together for my home network. Can get the network up.. but cannot connect to the internet. Connecting to the modem directly, i have no problems connecting to the internet. Any ideas?
> >
> > Well ya haven't really told us what you've tried and what didn't work. Have you set up the Gateway and DNS servers for the clients, or does it use DHCP to assign IP addresses, gateway and DNS settings? Are you using the right cable and socket to connect the router and modem?
>
> erm.. i'm pretty lost at all these stuff.. first time doing this. have followed the supplied instructions. and pretty sure i'm using the right cables. i got the network done alright, networked printer working fine so i guess that part should be fine. i'm stuck at what kind of WAN settings; whether it should be static ip, dynamic ip, PPPoE, PPTP etc..?
>
> this information better? cos i really dont know what else to tell..

Hi,
I think your missing some basic concepts here, the router usually has a fixed IP address, (same goes for any servers on your network)and your modem I am assuming is USB ADSL type also must have a fixed IP address. Your default gateway is the device (usually a modem or router)that defines a boundary physically between your home network and the public facing internet.

Its common if you have a network to have a DNS server that defines your specific name space such as .com or .org or .net etc.

DHCP is dynamic host configuration protocol and if you have a DHCP server installed on your network,your desktop client machines can be given IP addresses automatically from a pool of IP addresses that are defined (called a scope)on your DHCP server.

**You will need to define a default gateway before your network can have/gain internet access other wise you'll be chasing your own tail my friend.

The router should most likely be located inside your own network behined your Default gateway device,then clients behined that usually connected to a switch or hub that allows you to connect 12 or 24 machines to your network (as an example).

Hope this might help, if you need any more help then dont hesitate to email me:ivan@cyteck.co.uk

Best Regards
Ivan

--
N/A

RE: Router and modem connectionREPLY

I really am getting fed up with the short time outs on this site, I've just lost my whole reply.

Anyway I had a scout round on google for the two products you mentioned. Basically the SMC router seems to be a bit of a lemon (in that it doesn't work to well.) To be honest I think your best option is to connect your D-Link modem to you ethernet card, then fit a second ethernet card to connect to your local network. Then you have a choice of a proxy server, connection sharing to share the DSL with other machines.

Sorry I can't be of much more help, despite my years of networking/sys admin experience, I've only ever touched a BT (badged) ADSL router, which is a much simpler kettle of fish.
N/A

RE: Router and modem connectionREPLY YES! Timeouts!!

> I really am getting fed up with the short time outs on this site, I've just lost my whole reply.
>
> Anyway I had a scout round on google for the two products you mentioned. Basically the SMC router seems to be a bit of a lemon (in that it doesn't work to well.) To be honest I think your best option is to connect your D-Link modem to you ethernet card, then fit a second ethernet card to connect to your local network. Then you have a choice of a proxy server, connection sharing to share the DSL with other machines.
>
> Sorry I can't be of much more help, despite my years of networking/sys admin experience, I've only ever touched a BT (badged) ADSL router, which is a much simpler kettle of fish.

BIG AL,
Try copying your text before you committ the reply if its taken you a while to write. I've been caute short like you. I just paste the reply back when I am forced to log back in. But your right the timeout is far to short,probably deliberate me thinks!!

Ivan
--
stevecon
Grafter

> Hi,
>
> was wondering if anyone could help me out here. i have an SMC broadband router (model:SMC7004AWBR)and a d-link ethernet dsl modem (model:dsl-300G+). Need to know how to connect the two together for my home network. Can get the network up.. but cannot connect to the internet. Connecting to the modem directly, i have no problems connecting to the internet. Any ideas?

Is that a wireless router? I would guess that you are using the wrong cable to connect the modem to the router. If you are using a straight through Cat5 cable, try a crosswired one, and vice versa. HTH

SteveC

N/A

Hi,

In respect of setting up a wirelss access point to a existing DSL network I would imagine that you will need to eniure that the WAP is on the same IP range as your LAN i.e. 192.168.xxx.xxx or 10.xxx.xxx.xxx. If the hardware is the same range you will then need to know if you can ping the IP address in a DSO/Command prompt.

If there are any further settings that need to be checked I would probably say that you will have to specify the gateway IP address of the existing DSL router in the WAP.

I would say this should be enough to enable your WAP internet connectivity.

Best Regards,

Dave.

--
| David Watson. Unmetered & ADSL solutions
| Technical Support. for Home & Business
| PlusNet Technologies Ltd. @ http://www.plus.net
+ ----- My Referrals - It pays to recommend PlusNet ----- +
N/A

> Hi,
>

Thanks for all the help! i've got it working already.. somehow the router must be set on dynamic ip address for the wan port althought i have a static ip address. Thanks yet again!