cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Router D-Link 614+ - will this work using PPPoa?

N/A

Router D-Link 614+ - will this work using PPPoa?

I also have a D-Link 300G modem that works fine as a direct cable link modem - but trying to use it via the 614+ router is getting me nowhere - can this be done? Factory setting is for PPPoe...
1 REPLY
N/A

RE: Router D-Link 614+ - will this work using PPPoa?

> I also have a D-Link 300G modem that works fine as a direct cable link modem - but trying to use it via the 614+ router is getting me nowhere - can this be done? Factory setting is for PPPoe...

Hi,

I have the same setup as you and and everything works 100%. You need to use the following settings with the 614+ router:

Connection protocol = PPP0A
Encapsulation mode = VC MUX
Authorization method = CHAP

Before you start the installation process make sure you have updated the firmware for both the 300G+ and 614+ from the Dlink UK site (not from the US site). If you read the Dlink installation guides, you must change the IP address of the 614+ to 10.0.0.1 (both the 300G+ modem and the 614+ router have the same default IP address).

The way I set up my network was as follows:

The first step was to get a link established with the 300G+ modem and my computer. I configured my computer network adaptor card to have an IP address of 10.0.0.2. Upgraded the 300G+ firmware using the utility program from the Dlink UK site and configure the connection IP address of the 300G+ to be 10.0.0.1 (the same as the 614+ router).

The next step is to insert the 614+ router between the 300G+ modem and the computer network adaptor card. I re-configured the network adaptor card to have have an automatic configurable IP address. Configured the 614+ router with the settings given above and set the 614+ IP address to 10.0.0.1.

This set up procedure has worked for me and I have both the "wired" and "wireless" download connection links of 470/508kbs.

Dlink have a number of useful installation guides for the 614+ and the 614+/300G+ which are worth downloading.

Regards

Rover