cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reverse DNS on IP address

N/A

Just performed a ShieldsUP!! port probe on Steve Gibson's security site at grc.com. All ports are in stealth thanks to my Draytek router, but the site gave me the following warning message:

The text below might uniquely identify you on the Internet
Your Internet connection's IP address is uniquely associated with the following "machine name": motion.force9.co.uk
The string of text above is known as your Internet connection's "reverse DNS."
The end of the string is probably a domain name related to your ISP. This will be common to all customers of this ISP. But the beginning of the string uniquely identifies your Internet connection.

Is this something I should be worried about? I'm not up to anything dodgy, but at the same time I would've thought it better if this information *wasn't* available. Is it a result of my broadband connection having a fixed IP address (which can be traced) or is it Force 9 policy to make this information available??

Just wondered.....
10 REPLIES
N/A

You can request the Reverse DNS (your ip resolving to motion.force9.co.uk) to be changed. The options are either:

username.force9.co.uk (Default)
your_static_ip.force9.co.uk (ie 212_159_0_2.force9.co.uk)
any_host_name.domain.co.uk* (the Domain needs to be on your account)

I'm also under the impression it can be removed totally so it just shows as the ip (212.159.0.2 for example)

If you wish it changed, you can use link:Contact Us and follow the root Technical Support -> Static IP / Reverse DNS Setup -> Change my Reverse DNS (PTR) configuration
N/A

Colin- thanks for your swift response- have requested the changes.

Mike Coe (motion.********.**.**)
N/A

Know abit more

Hi,
I'm of a very similar opinion to the user "motion", I've known about the reverse DNS to IP address against my ADSL F9 connection for sometime. I would like to remove this totally or if possible just hide this information so that it cannot be seen by other websites. I feel pretty certain that the reverse DNS to IP is used by websites & spammers to spam me. How can I hide this information so that websites a visit cannot use this data for newsletters,spamming & viruses,etc. Any comments or help would be most appreciated. Is hiding this possible? (I dont just want to change it)

Ivan
N/A

You can only hide it by having no rDNS - this means that sites will only see the IP - this also means that username.force9.co.uk iwll not point to your IP. If you think that people are spamming you because of the rDNS - you could get it changed as I posted above to IP.force9.co.uk - this will stop people finding out your username, but as above username.force9.co.uk won't point to your IP. There is no way to hide you use Force9 as the RIPE record for your IP will show it as assigned to Force9 Technology.
N/A

Hiding NOT waving

Hi csogilvie
Many Thanks for your reply it is most helpful, Yes! changing the rDNS to just IP.force9.co.uk would be a very acceptable starting point if nothing else. As I'm sure it would have a first line of defence against spammers & websites. So Please can you help me further & explain how the rDNS can be implemented?
Presumably this change would need to be done by F9 support or Not? do you know?

Thanks once again. Much appreciated Ivan Cool
N/A

From my initial reply to this thread:

If you wish it changed, you can use link:Contact Us and follow the root Technical Support -> Static IP / Reverse DNS Setup -> Change my Reverse DNS (PTR) configuration

A box will be there in which you can enter what you want (eg: "I wish to change my rDNS to be IP.force9.co.uk")
N/A

Having started this thread I got in first and requested the change yesterday. This morning they've already done it, and I now seem to be [IP_address].plus.com
I think this is quite a good compromise, given that anyone who *really* wants to can trace you anyway- realistically all you can do is make it difficult for them.

Mike Coe
(Mr. Motion)
N/A

Replying

Hi Mike,
I have to say a thank you for starting this thread & this subject as I have been meaning to make this change to the rNDS for some time but just didnt know how too do it. Like you I have now had this change made but am waiting for 24hrs so I wont know what its been changed to until I test it. But its my belief that this should help reduce the volume of spam I receive as I am sure many sites I visit use the rDNS for spamming,newsletters etc. Like you say its not that I have anything to hide but I would like to make it more difficult for the spammers etc to spam me. Every little change I can make in order to make it that much harder for them is worth doing in my book.

Cheers Ivan Cool
N/A

Ivan,

If you already have a spam problem, have you tried using a screening program? I've used K9 for some time now, and it's excellent- currently achieving 99.5% accuracy, and although you have to 'train' it initially it isn't too difficult.

http://keir.net/k9.html

is where you can get it- it's tiny, and it's absolutely free!

Mike.
N/A

I wouldn't think spammers would use the rDNS for spamming, mainly because a lot of them are of the form user-****.l3.c2.dsl.pol.co.uk which won't work in email.

Also, I find it odd that you now have a plus.com rDNS as you are on F9 but never mind Smiley