cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restore Alcatel router from disk hasn't worked

N/A

Restore Alcatel router from disk hasn't worked

I've restored my Alcatel router from the floppy disk supplied, but now I can't see http://192.168.8.1 from my browser. I guess it's a router/firewall issue.

Can anyone help please?

THanks,
Mark

2 REPLIES
N/A

RE: Restore Alcatel router from disk hasn't worked

> I've restored my Alcatel router from the floppy disk supplied, but now I can't see http://192.168.8.1 from my browser. I guess it's a router/firewall issue.

Which Alcatel Router are you using?

I have an Alcatel SpeedTouch 510 (the original one, not the new one), and I received a CD with it, not a floppy disk, so I'm a bit mystified. Also, if you want to "restore" (I would have used the word "reset" myself) there's a button on the back of the unit which restores the original factory settings... which means it will have an IP Address of 10.0.0.138, so I don't understand your 192.168.8.1 reference.

If you do a reset, you can then go through the initial setup process which, in effect, results in a configuration file being loaded from an attached PC (from a CD, a hard disk, or even from a floppy). Since the Alcatel will have an IP Address of 10.0.0.138 from the rest operation, the PC you use for this configuration exercise must either have an appropriate IP Address so it can communicate, or should temporarily be configured as a DHCP client, and restarted (or you could do an ipconfig /renew on Windows, I suppose) so that it obtains network parameters from the Alcatel.
N/A

RE: Restore Alcatel router from disk hasn't worked

> > I've restored my Alcatel router from the floppy disk supplied, but now I can't see http://192.168.8.1 from my browser. I guess it's a router/firewall issue.
>
> Which Alcatel Router are you using?
>
> I have an Alcatel SpeedTouch 510 (the original one, not the new one), and I received a CD with it, not a floppy disk, so I'm a bit mystified. Also, if you want to "restore" (I would have used the word "reset" myself) there's a button on the back of the unit which restores the original factory settings... which means it will have an IP Address of 10.0.0.138, so I don't understand your 192.168.8.1 reference.
>
> If you do a reset, you can then go through the initial setup process which, in effect, results in a configuration file being loaded from an attached PC (from a CD, a hard disk, or even from a floppy). Since the Alcatel will have an IP Address of 10.0.0.138 from the rest operation, the PC you use for this configuration exercise must either have an appropriate IP Address so it can communicate, or should temporarily be configured as a DHCP client, and restarted (or you could do an ipconfig /renew on Windows, I suppose) so that it obtains network parameters from the Alcatel.

The floppy restores it back to factory settings, which I thought meant would restore it back to the same settings it had when I received the product from Plusnet - sorry F9. However this isn't the case. I've discovered that the default setting is for DHCP disabled amongst other things.
The IP 192.x.y.z. allows you to configure the router via a browser front end, and this doesn't work either as per the Plusnet - sorry F9 instructions.