cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Request for Tsunami donations

N/A

Myself and 5 other volunteers from Pitney Bowes in Harlow are going out to Sri Lanka in October 2005 in conjunction with Habitat for Humanity (registered charity no. 1043641) to work alongside the local community to build essential homes for those most in need after the 26th December 2004 tsunami disaster. Please help us raise our target of £9,570 by sponsoring us at our web site http://www.hhfh.co.uk

Your contribution is most appreciated and greatly needed, Thank you.
9 REPLIES
N/A

Hi Peter, could you tell me exactly how the donations towards you trip will be spent please?
N/A

reply to towill

towill

The sponsorship money raised, will go towards covering the cost of the trip, enabling us to build a house, and at least £3,000 of this money will go towards the building materials in Sri Lanka. The more money we can raise, the more houses that can be built.
- £50 can repair a damaged house where the foundations remain
- £250 will build a basic 'core' house with an existing foundation
- £2000 will build a small community

By raising £1,595 each, our team of 6 will have built 1 house during our 1 week visit to Sri Lanka and raised sufficient funds to build at least 12 new homes or rebuild 60 damaged ones.

Peter
N/A

Have I got this right Peter, if you raise £9,570, £3,000 will go to help the victims and £6,570 towards your costs?

Cheers
John
N/A

reply to John

John

Yes, this is correct. The cost of this trip is expensive so the more money that we can raise over and above our target then the more money that can go towards the building of more homes.

The 6 of us have already paid £500 each towards the cost of the trip and have given up a 9 days holiday from work to go out to Sri Lanka. If we can't get there, then there will be no house that will be built by our team.

I am only asking people to sponsor us £1.00 as to most people this is an insignificant amount, and the more £1's we can get the more help we can give. Using gift aid for each £1.00 donated, Habitat will receive £1.28 directly from www.Justgiving.com/hhfh, we do not get any of this money.

Believe me, this trip will be a lot of hard work and effort and it is under no circumstances a holiday.

This trip is being organised through Habitat for Humanity and I assure you that the charity are making every effort to keep the cost of the trips as low as possible.

Thanks for your valuable questions.
Peter
N/A

I'll tell you a story.

I cannot remember exactly how but I got in email touch with a Sri Lankan born lady living in the USA. I have a Sri Lankan friend from way back in the 1950s when we were RAF apprentices together.

After the tsunami I tried to get in touch with him to no avail. By happen chance this ladiy's father lived in the next village to my friend. Because they knew of my concern her father made not one but two trips to look for my friend, who he found the second time. I guess that is worth a donation.
N/A

John

Thanks very much for your doantion, it is greatly appreciated.

Peter
www.hhfh.co.uk
N/A

£1.00 donation

If you are reading this chat thread than it shows that you care.

Please can you make a donation from our website. If we can get everyone to donate £2.00 (which is a fairly insignificant amount to most people) then just think of how many £2's we can raise.

Using gift aid for each £1.00 donated, Habitat for Humanity will receive £1.28 directly from www.Justgiving.com/hhfh.

THANK YOU IN ADVANCE FOR YOUR CONTINUED SUPPORT AND DONATIONS.
N/A

Is it only Towill that cares about the Tsunami victims? Cry
N/A

I'm sure everyone cares about the Tsunami, but I believe that most of the major disaster funds people were actually asking ppl to stop donating money to their causes as they had already got more than enough. Also because people switched their generosity from the places they were originally giving it - other charities were suffering due to lack of funds.

I went and donated two weeks of my own time (a few years ago) to work in Romania and still regularly donate to some family friends who do work there. They gave up their careers and lives to move there and work year after year tirelessly to help others.

I hope you do well in your fund raise; however regret to tell you I won't be donating to your cause. I think goading people by trying to apply a guilt trip isn't the way to raise funds properly.

All the best.