Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Repeated Critical Update 823559

Mol2000
Dabbler

Critical Windows Update 823559

I had problems with my work computer that every time I start up this update is asking to be installed. I have it downloaded about 20+ Times.

Today at home my computer alerted me to a critical update and it is the same one 823559 and is on my downloaded update list 8 times.

Am I the only person receiving this?
How can I prevent this from being alerted to me each time I start the computer -without losing other update information?

Regards Michael
mol2000@mol2000.f9.co.uk
8 REPLIES
N/A

MS Updates

Hi,

I dont know if this will answer your question fully, but it is completely possible to switch off windows automatic update service (you dont have to have this turned on, its just another one of those extremely annoying things from Microsoft which they dont tell most users about. They assume for you!! that you want it and of course MS encourage everyone to have these updates).

**To turn off automatic windows update service, in Windows 2000 or WindowsXP (home or pro) you must log into your computer with administrator privilages (permissions) other wise this might not work.

From the start button, goto the start menu, next to settings and control panel, see adminstrative tools, inside administrative tools, see "services" when you open this you will see a long list of system services. When windows is first installed many of these services are turned on bye default & this of course includes windows automatic update service. (a word of warning though be very careful NOT to change any of the other services unless your confident about what your doing and what impact it will have on your system). Turning off just the windows update service is completely safe though, but leave the rest alone if I was you.

Find the service, windows automatic updates and highlight it with the mouse, next click or double click on the highlighted item, this should show you a page or dialogue screen with several tabs on it. There is a drop down box usually on the first tab which allows you to set how this service will behave. The settings here are 1) Automatic i.e. allow windows to manage this 2) Manual (i.e. turn it on or off as I want, or 3) disable the service completely (no I dont want it ever again.

**I suggest that you set the service for updates to a) manual b) stop the service if its already started.

OK doing all this prevents windows automatically downloading MS updates and installing them without any control or choice from you.

Hope this might help, the only other thing I can think of is that someone has very cleverly hijacked MS windows update service and sent you a worm, or virus and whilst this is unlikely its NOT completely impossible either.

NOTE: NOT all MS updates are worth having, as an experienced computer user I'm only concerned with critical or system updates even then its extremely important to find out if you REALLY need such and such an update for your system.

Ivan Cool
N/A

This update is for Win98 SE

Hi,

Here is a detailled description of the update your talking about See Below:-

Windows 98 Security Update (823559), July 2003

Applies to:
Windows 98 and Windows 98 Second Edition

Requirements
Windows 98 and Windows 98 Second Edition

File Size
0.3MB

File Name
823559USA8.EXE

Author/Supplier
Microsoft

Description
This patch for Windows 98 and Windows 98 SE fixes an important security hole that could allow an attacker to take a variety of actions on your PC. For example, an attacker could run software, hacks and other nasty software. By installing this update, you can help protect your computer. This issue is quite severe because all you have to do is visit a Web site that is designed to take advantage of this problem and they could conceivably get into your PC. Remember it is very easy to accidentally type the wrong Web site address or follow a dodgy link from another site, so don’t think a simple solution is to stay away from suspicious sites. Plus, the issue also affects email.

For the more technically minded, this issue has the geeky Microsoft description of ‘Buffer Overrun in the HTML Converter Could Allow Code Execution’. This means that there is a flaw in the way the HTML converter for Microsoft Windows handles a conversion request during a cut-and-paste operation. A vulnerability exists because a specially crafted request to the HTML converter could cause the converter to fail in such a way that it could run code in the context of the currently logged-on user. Because Microsoft Internet Explorer uses this functionality, an attacker could craft a specially formed Web page or HTML e-mail that would cause the HTML converter to run arbitrary code on a user's computer. When a user visits an attacker’s Web site, the attacker could exploit the vulnerability without any other user action. Patch released: July 2003.

**I'm abit rusty now on Win98 as I havent used it for sometime, however I've just had a look through my Win98 system and its very hard if not impossible to turn off the updates (different from win2000 & XP), sorry!!

Ivan

Ivan
N/A

Yet More??

Hello again,

I've just also found that if you go into the windows98 help files, and go into the index and look for the topic "Update Wizard Uninstall" if you've installed this update patch or fix but nolonger want it or it has been installed against your wishes you can unistall the item (provided its been installed in the first place of course!). There is a helpful link on the page in the help system which takes you to the uninstall updates wizard.

**Dont know if this helps you or not??

Ivan :?
N/A

mol2000,

You might also want to try this.

Go into Control Panel, Select Automatic Updates, and change the option to download but I will install them.

When the update icon next appears on the task bar, you should be able to click the icon. A box will pop up and ask you whether you want to install or not. At the very bottom should a little tick box, saying "Ignore this update", tick this and you shouldn't have any more problems.

I'm not 100% sure this will work with 98, but it's worth a try.
Mol2000
Dabbler

have tried the changes to download setting and trust this will solve problem.

However - if this update is on my computer - how come MS does not recocgnise this and keeps telling me to download it - is there a fault on my computer? :?:
N/A

Replying

Hi Mol2000,

No! its unlikely to be an actual fault with your computer as such, however as far as my knowledge of how MS update works. Each version of windows and the update software which allows you to download and install these patches & fixes.

Windows keeps a catalogue (which is in effect just a little kind of database) of what has been updated and patches and what installed OK and which patches have failed to install correctly, as my guess is that its this catalogue thats gone wrong some how and your machine keeps think you dont have this patch installed. In other words it sounds like the windows catalogue hasnt updated correctly for some unknown reason.

**I think this whole process of updates was only started with windows98 anyway so perhpas the technology wasnt so well developed as it is now and so downloads are not as error free as with other versions of windows but I really dont know. I'm guessing.

Ivan Cool
Mol2000
Dabbler

Turned update info off - I now check for myself what to download.

Many thanks to all - Michael
N/A

No! Problem

Hi Michael,

Glad you managed to turn off the automatic updates, I know exactly how you feel I find such things pretty annoying too. Yes! its best to check for updates when you choose (NOT when MS chooses for you!).

**Also its worth mentioning that many novice or inexperienced computer users that run MS update often just tend to install ALL the suggested available updates from the MS update website. This is NOT a good idea at all, the only updates I personally download and install are the system or critical windows updates in other words those that actually affect either the windows OS or security of windows itself.

**The remaining optional updates are mostly not worth having unless they relate to a specific issue on your computer, OK then fair enough. But the vast majority of the optional updates are a complete waste of space & time.

GLAD to be of assistance my friend!! :-)

Ivan