cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Removing AOL

N/A

Removing AOL

We recently joined Plus Net having been with AOL for several years. We migrated from AOL 4, 5, 6 to 7. On finishing our account and uninstalling AOL we found the web browser would not work come what may. We have discovered that this was because AOL over writes several key files and removing the product they are not re-instated. In the end we had to re-install the operating system by over laying. This was after many hours of frustration and £75 spent on an expert.

Hope this helps.
Roy Price
--
2 REPLIES
N/A

RE: Removing AOL

Oh yes, AOL has proven to be a real nightmare. They overwrite your settings for a number of things and you will find a lot of their garbage all over the place on your computer; it is heavily embedded. The only way to get rid of everything is to search for all files called “ aol “, delete them and then wipe your windows directory and re-install windows.
What I found also is that they kept my personal details including credit card data and that they continued to junkmail me by post and nuisance phone calls on top. Another one of their tricks is to call you and if you show the slightest bit of interest (that means if you don’t tell them immediately to get lost and hang up), you run the risk of being subscribed to a service and you will be billed automatically if you don’t cancel after the trial period. I had to threaten them with court action and exposure in the media to get rid of them. They are the biggest ISP and that is not because of their great product but becasue of their very aggressive marketing. AOL is a nasty lot.
N/A

RE: Removing AOL

> We recently joined Plus Net having been with AOL for several years. We migrated from AOL 4, 5, 6 to 7. On finishing our account and uninstalling AOL we found the web browser would not work come what may. We have discovered that this was because AOL over writes several key files and removing the product they are not re-instated. In the end we had to re-install the operating system by over laying. This was after many hours of frustration and £75 spent on an expert.
>
> Hope this helps.
> Roy Price
>
> --
>

---------------------
The thing that AOL hooks into is your networking properties. It removes the 'dial-up adapter' required for most ISPs and loads its own AOL Adapter. This isn't removed when you uuninstall. I have ecently spent about 1½ hours removing this from my boss's laptop - and I consider myself an expert!

The best method I have found is after uninstalling, then manually delete the AOL directory (either in C:\ or C:\Program Files), then delete all networking components, then search the registry for *aol* and delete that.

--
Come on Boro!
http://www.waynessa.co.uk/boro.htm