Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Remote connection to MySQL database

CallumW
Grafter

Hi.
I have MySQL databases locally on my home webserver, on webspace in the US and on F9

I can connect to my home webserver and my US SQL databases using a tool called Navicat (http://www.navicat.com). To do this I had to grant access to these databases to allow access from my remote IP address.

I called support who said they can't do this over the phone, but theres a 'how to' in the tools area. I've scoured the site, but cant see it anywhere.

Can you tell me how I can add my external IP so I can connect remotely and have greater control over my DB?

Can you also tell me what IP or hostname I connect to for remote MySQL access (comes through port 3306)

Thanks
2 REPLIES
N/A

I don't know anything about port numbers used by MySQL, so I'll assume the port number you've specified is the standard one it uses.

As far as I'm aware everyone who uses Force9's MySQL platform is using it remotely, even though they may not realise this. The standard setup is to do so from Force9's CGI platform (cgi.force9.net), but the database servers are different machines, either rumpus.force9.net or humbug.force9.net, whichever was notified to you when you activated Force9's MySQL support.

Similarly, you know your database name and the username and password which may be used to access it, so, in theory you have everything you need to access the system remotely, which, as I say, is actually what's happening from the CGI machine. The only snag is that MySQL as a whole may be configured to reject requests from outside Force9 (ie the machine which sends the request has to be within Force9's network) which would preclude requests sent directly from your non-Force9 systems. Whether this is the case, I have no idea, but it would not surprise me if it were. (This is how my own PostgreSQL system at home is set up, and I suspect MySQL can be configured similarly.) If it is, I don't imagine Force9 would be prepared to change the configuration.
CallumW
Grafter

Thanks for the reply.

My problem was the servername - I tried force9.net, but didn't think it ws a subdomain.

I can remotely connect using <server>.force9.net

Many Thanks