cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Setting up a Netowrk with new Solwise Router

Fixes: 142

Re: Setting up a Netowrk with new Solwise Router

Hi

Some time ago I asked about networking the 3COM router with two PCs but I never got round to it. Now we've all got these new Solwise routers I wonder if anyone could offer help in networking two PCs with this.

My setu is thus;

Two PCs both running w2k.
fast ethernet card in each
Router
5 port fast ethernet switch.

Basically I need to know how I can take care of all the IP addresses for each PC and the router and have both PCs being able to have access to the internet at the same time.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

20 REPLIES
N/A

RE: Re: Setting up a Netowrk with new Solwise Router

> Hi
>
> Some time ago I asked about networking the 3COM router with two PCs but I never got round to it. Now we've all got these new Solwise routers I wonder if anyone could offer help in networking two PCs with this.
>
> My setu is thus;
>
> Two PCs both running w2k.
> fast ethernet card in each
> Router
> 5 port fast ethernet switch.
>
> Basically I need to know how I can take care of all the IP addresses for each PC and the router and have both PCs being able to have access to the internet at the same time.
>
> Any help greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks

pc1 = 192.168.10.2
pc2 = 192.168.10.3
router/pc gateway = 192.168.10.1

router (via uplink port or crossover cable) to switch
pc1 and pc2 (via straightthru cable) to switch

192.168.10.1 is the gateway for both your pc's tcp/ip settings

you don't have to give them static ip address but I always prefer to - doesn't really matter either way.

> pc1 = 192.168.10.2
> pc2 = 192.168.10.3
> router/pc gateway = 192.168.10.1
>
> router (via uplink port or crossover cable) to switch
> pc1 and pc2 (via straightthru cable) to switch
>
> 192.168.10.1 is the gateway for both your pc's tcp/ip settings
>
> you don't have to give them static ip address but I always prefer to - doesn't really matter either way.

My router's IP is 192.168.7.1 (at least, that is what I type into OE to access the setup.

Do I ssume I replace the 10 with a 7 in my setup or am I still barking up the wrong tree.

So many IP addresses, subnet masks, etc I get confused:-)

How would each PC know when it's accessing the other or the Router? Could anyone please give a brief description of how it works as that may help me to get my head round it all.

Maybe some pointers to reading material would be helpful. Thanks again in advance.

--
Mike

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

N/A

Put simply if you ask for www.plus.net the pc requesting this looks for the ip in DNS to get to the dns it looks to the default gateway having got the ip it again goes via the default gateway.

If you think of the gateway as your front door, if you want a paper you may shout to see if anyone in the house has one(ie broadcast on your subnet) if no one answers then you know you must go through your front door to the paper shop.

> > pc1 = 192.168.10.2
> > pc2 = 192.168.10.3
> > router/pc gateway = 192.168.10.1
> >
> > router (via uplink port or crossover cable) to switch
> > pc1 and pc2 (via straightthru cable) to switch
> >
> > 192.168.10.1 is the gateway for both your pc's tcp/ip settings
> >
> > you don't have to give them static ip address but I always prefer to - doesn't really matter either way.
>
> My router's IP is 192.168.7.1 (at least, that is what I type into OE to access the setup.
>
> Do I ssume I replace the 10 with a 7 in my setup or am I still barking up the wrong tree.
>
> So many IP addresses, subnet masks, etc I get confused:-)
>
> How would each PC know when it's accessing the other or the Router? Could anyone please give a brief description of how it works as that may help me to get my head round it all.
>
> Maybe some pointers to reading material would be helpful. Thanks again in advance.
>
>
> --
> Mike

> Put simply if you ask for www.plus.net the pc requesting this looks for the ip in DNS to get to the dns it looks to the default gateway having got the ip it again goes via the default gateway.
>
> If you think of the gateway as your front door, if you want a paper you may shout to see if anyone in the house has one(ie broadcast on your subnet) if no one answers then you know you must go through your front door to the paper shop.

OK - that makes it easier to understand the concept - thanks:-)

Now, bacjk to the technical bit;

I did have my two PCs connected directly to each other via a crossover wire and fast Ethernetr port. Apprently this same crossover wire can be usedd through the 5-Port Ethernet Switch box I bought.

Both PCs were given a Network name and, within Network and Dial-up Connections - Local Area Connection - Properties - Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) - Use the following IP Address I had both PCs set to 192.168.0.21 & 192.168.0.22 respectively.

On the PC that currently has teh router connected this is now set to the router's IP address of 192.168.7.1. MY question is ths. What IP Address has to be entered in the above dialogue box - it can't be both the router;s and the PC's.

Any further help greatly appreciated.

Thanks
--
Mike

N/A

pc one ip 192.168.0.21 default gate set to 192.168.7.1 pc two 192.168.0.22 gateway set to 192.168.7.1 make sure the subnet is the same on all. both pc have a straight cable into the hub. normaly you then connect another straight cable from the hub/switch to the router via the uplinks socket, some switchs/hubs have a switch on them so you can switch it to use the cross over cable. You will have to read the instructions with the switch but as I say normaly its a straight cable.

> > Put simply if you ask for www.plus.net the pc requesting this looks for the ip in DNS to get to the dns it looks to the default gateway having got the ip it again goes via the default gateway.
> >
> > If you think of the gateway as your front door, if you want a paper you may shout to see if anyone in the house has one(ie broadcast on your subnet) if no one answers then you know you must go through your front door to the paper shop.
>
> OK - that makes it easier to understand the concept - thanks:-)
>
> Now, bacjk to the technical bit;
>
> I did have my two PCs connected directly to each other via a crossover wire and fast Ethernetr port. Apprently this same crossover wire can be usedd through the 5-Port Ethernet Switch box I bought.
>
> Both PCs were given a Network name and, within Network and Dial-up Connections - Local Area Connection - Properties - Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) - Use the following IP Address I had both PCs set to 192.168.0.21 & 192.168.0.22 respectively.
>
> On the PC that currently has teh router connected this is now set to the router's IP address of 192.168.7.1. MY question is ths. What IP Address has to be entered in the above dialogue box - it can't be both the router;s and the PC's.
>
> Any further help greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks
>
> --
> Mike

> pc one ip 192.168.0.21 default gate set to 192.168.7.1 pc two 192.168.0.22 gateway set to 192.168.7.1 make sure the subnet is the same on all. both pc have a straight cable into the hub. normaly you then connect another straight cable from the hub/switch to the router via the uplinks socket, some switchs/hubs have a switch on them so you can switch it to use the cross over cable. You will have to read the instructions with the switch but as I say normaly its a straight cable.

I've done all the above but, unfortunately PC1 can only see PC1's Computers Near me & the same with PC2.

Also, I immeditaely lose internet access on PC1 - haven't tested it out on PC2 as yet.

Re-entering the IP address as the routers (192.168.7.2 gives me back the Internet access on PC2.

Any ideas?

Cheers

--
Mike

> pc one ip 192.168.0.21 default gate set to 192.168.7.1 pc two 192.168.0.22 gateway set to 192.168.7.1 make sure the subnet is the same on all. both pc have a straight cable into the hub. normaly you then connect another straight cable from the hub/switch to the router via the uplinks socket, some switchs/hubs have a switch on them so you can switch it to use the cross over cable. You will have to read the instructions with the switch but as I say normaly its a straight cable.

I've done all the above but, unfortunately PC1 can only see PC1's Computers Near me & the same with PC2.

Also, I immeditaely lose internet access on PC1 - haven't tested it out on PC2 as yet.

Re-entering the IP address as the routers (192.168.7.2 gives me back the Internet access on PC2.

Any ideas?

Cheers

--
Mike

Hi

I've also cxecked on PC2 and that isn't able to view even it's own folders over the newtowrk. This is becoming a nightmare now:-(

If anyone has any urther advice I'd be greatful.

cheers
--
Mike

I've been reading the manual (PDF formate) that came on the Solwise disc.

perhaps some kind person would set me straight.

It appears that if you go into the Router's Configuration Manager then the LAN configuraton page it tells you that you can set the LAN IP Address to that of your Network.

Does this mean that if I set it to the IP address of PC1 (192,168,0,21 - PC2 is 192.168.0.22) but substituting 23 for 21 then all will work as expected. I'm loath to make such change at present in case something goes seriously wrong.

Cheers
--
Mike

N/A

> > pc one ip 192.168.0.21 default gate set to >192.168.7.1 pc two 192.168.0.22 gateway set to >192.168.7.1 make sure the subnet is the same on >all.

This won't work unless you do something really funky with the subnet mask. They are on different networks and will not speak to each other without each network being connected to 2 routable ports.

Set pc1 to 192.168.10.2 subnet mask 255.255.255.0
set pc2 to 192.168.10.3 subnet mask 255.255.255.0
Set the LAN ip on your router to 192.168.10.1 subnet mask 255.255.255.0
Connect pc1 and pc2 to you hub/switch via straight through cable
connect your router to the hub/switch
Set the default gateway of both pc1 and pc2 to 192.168.10.1. Thats it - thats all you need to do.

192.168.10.* can be replaced by anything 192.168.7.* for example. As long as the first three portions (between the .'s) are the same or if they are different you have to be able to configure sub/supernets which can be a pain to the beginner.
N/A

> I've been reading the manual (PDF formate) that came on the Solwise disc.
>
> perhaps some kind person would set me straight.
>
> It appears that if you go into the Router's Configuration Manager then the LAN configuraton page it tells you that you can set the LAN IP Address to that of your Network.
>
> Does this mean that if I set it to the IP address of PC1 (192,168,0,21 - PC2 is 192.168.0.22) but substituting 23 for 21 then all will work as expected. I'm loath to make such change at present in case something goes seriously wrong.
>
> Cheers
>
> --
> Mike

erm - check the above post of mine - these forums are stupid - they never put anything in chronological order.

Hi

I've tried all the previous suggestions but all to no avail.

I either lose Internet access on PC1 (haven't even got it on PC2 yet) or the two PCs aren't talking to each other:-(

I'm at a total loss.
--
Mike

N/A

> Hi
>
> I've tried all the previous suggestions but all to no avail.
>
> I either lose Internet access on PC1 (haven't even got it on PC2 yet) or the two PCs aren't talking to each other:-(
>
> I'm at a total loss.
>
> --
> Mike

You can't ping one machines ip address from the other?
If thats the case then either your switch isn't working, you cable is broken or you haven't set something up like I said in the post.
You are connecting the pc's to the switch via straight through cable aren't you? The switch is turned on?

N/A

> Hi
>
> I've tried all the previous suggestions but all to no avail.
>
> I either lose Internet access on PC1 (haven't even got it on PC2 yet) or the two PCs aren't talking to each other:-(
>
> I'm at a total loss.
>
> --
> Mike

and switch to router is straight through cable not crossover