cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Replying again

N/A

Re: Replying again

Hi Again,

No of course!! your right when you download & try to install a free peice of software and it goes *rse over *tit and theres no technical support to help you out then your right, what do you expect!! you have no right to complain but you have to admitt its still pretty angry making or absolutely frustrating though. Errrrrrrr!!!!!!!! nashing of teeth!!!!

Ivan :lol:

Very true.
8 REPLIES
N/A

Windows Media Player Version 10 Problem

Hello can anyone help me out here?

I'm not quite sure if this is the best forum for this posting! but anyway. I'm having pretty aweful problem with installing Windows Media Player 10 on a high quality DELL precision workstation. The machine is running windows XP Pro with SP1 (NOT SP2) its running a fully licensed copy of XP, I downloaded windows media player V10 and was logged in as a (local) power user with full installation user rights.

When I ran the installer for WMP10 the files appear to unpacked as expected and files seemed to be copied to the appropriate location on my HDD i.e. C:\program files\windows media palyer. The next screen presents the Microsoft End User License Agreement (supplimentary License agreement) this page has x2 buttons for "I accept the license" or "I decline the license" both buttons are NOT clickable or dont work (NOT greyed out!!) and the installation fails. Whats more cannot rollback or remove WMP10 or 9??

Can anyone kindly offer any helpful advise as I'm completely snookered on this one!! Dont you just love Microsoft when things like this happen and of course DONT expect any help from Uncle Bill & Co, well its free software what do you expect!!

Thanks in advance fingers crossed!
Ivan
N/A

Re: Windows Media Player Version 10 Problem

high quality DELL

Is there such a thing?

I've installed it fine on a laptop running XP home SP1.
I can't remember, but I've noticed with some EULA pages you have to scroll all the way down to the bottom to enable the Accept button, maybe it something like that?

Just a guess.

And as for uninstalling, that shouldn't be a problem because you'll have made a system restore point before you started wont you? Doesn't WMP10 try to do that itself for that matter?

Good luck with finding the solution.
N/A

Windows Media Player Version 10 Problem

Hi Ivan
Scrolling to the bottom of the EULA sounds familiar, now you have to look at the small print before clicking OK Tongue Good ol' Uncle Bill

Graham
N/A

Replying

Hi ,

Thanks for responding but I feel you both missed the point I was trying to make previously. The point is Windows Media Player 9 or 10 has a supplimentary EULA so its not like (like when installing windows OS) I dont recall seing the usual 13 pages of MS legal gobblie gook but just a screen saying you must accept or decline which was what I call a "glass window". i.e. not clickable even though both buttons were both visable, installation fails on this and this alone.

**Considerable searching the web via google, Microsoft.com & TechNet fails to provide even the faintest of useful or helpful information.

**This is just one of those very unusual MS problems that seems to have no logical answer at all, as I said I am an experienced user but I'm at a complete loss on this one.

**PS: You cannot uninstall either Windows Media Player 9 or 10 once installed as MS have said this is a windows componant and its woven into XP's OS. Yes! you can roll back 10 in theory to version 9 if you've managed to install it successfully.

**Theres nothing wrong with Dell Kit as far as my experience goes.

Ivan
N/A

Re: Replying

Hi ,

Thanks for responding but I feel you both missed the point I was trying to make previously. The point is Windows Media Player 9 or 10 has a supplimentary EULA so its not like (like when installing windows OS) I dont recall seing the usual 13 pages of MS legal gobblie gook but just a screen saying you must accept or decline which was what I call a "glass window". i.e. not clickable even though both buttons were both visable, installation fails on this and this alone.

**Considerable searching the web via google, Microsoft.com & TechNet fails to provide even the faintest of useful or helpful information.

**This is just one of those very unusual MS problems that seems to have no logical answer at all, as I said I am an experienced user but I'm at a complete loss on this one.

**PS: You cannot uninstall either Windows Media Player 9 or 10 once installed as MS have said this is a windows componant and its woven into XP's OS. Yes! you can roll back 10 in theory to version 9 if you've managed to install it successfully.

**Theres nothing wrong with Dell Kit as far as my experience goes.

Ivan

Maybe I/we missed the point because you didn't make the point very well.
I've now read both posts at least twice and don't see what you're problem is.

WMP10 install works just fine, I've done it twice.
From what you're saying your problem isn't that you can't click the buttons as that's what our suggestions were regarding. So are you complaining about the fact that there is an additional license agreement page when you try to install it? If so, then don't install it, it's that simple, it was your choice to try to in the first place.

Otherwise I'm assuming you're complaining that this isn't the behaviour you were expecting and so you think there might be a bug in the software. Software has bugs, get used to it. If you'd paid for it I'd understand (e.g. the Oracle DBMS, although they do release a lot of fixes or workarounds). So find another piece of free software that does exactly the same thing without any bugs and use that.

As I expect I've probably missed the point again, maybe you could explain it in more simple terms so that those of us that aren't experienced users might understand. Although I doubt I'll have any suggestions you haven't already tried.

Good luck with the problem in the meantime.

P.S. Have you tried re-downloading it?
N/A

WMP10 Replying

Hello,

Thanks for your second reply! Yes! you missed the point I was attempting to explain and Yes! OK perhps I could have tried to explain the problem more clearly. The problem is a very weird one which in many years of dealing with Microsoft products I've never encountered. Yes! lots of people have complained about how buggy WMP10 has been but I have it working perfectly on x2 of my own machines.

I was attempting to install WMP10 on my friend Dave's machine. On my friends machine each time we attempted to install either WMP9 or WMP10 the install fails (falls over) on the screen which asks the user to click on "yes! I accept" or "no! I decline" the license. THIS screen froze (a glass window) and the installation stopped dead with both versions (no error mesages). Thus No! WMP at all.

The problem has now been solved more by sheer perversity than anything else, we found that instead of clicking with the mouse when the glass window appeared with the license accept decline hitting enter or return on the keyboard moved it forwards and solved the problem. My friend now has WMP10 working fine.

**He didnt want another media player and sometimes in IT espcially in business you cannot just go off and download another peice of software. You are forced to try and resolve the problem your faced with & sometimes this is because of financial reasons or sometimes for other company reasons so you have to make do with what your given and not take the easy way out.

But Thanks for your interest anyway, Cheers Ivan Cool
N/A

Re: WMP10 Replying

Hello,

Thanks for your second reply! Yes! you missed the point I was attempting to explain and Yes! OK perhps I could have tried to explain the problem more clearly. The problem is a very weird one which in many years of dealing with Microsoft products I've never encountered. Yes! lots of people have complained about how buggy WMP10 has been but I have it working perfectly on x2 of my own machines.

I was attempting to install WMP10 on my friend Dave's machine. On my friends machine each time we attempted to install either WMP9 or WMP10 the install fails (falls over) on the screen which asks the user to click on "yes! I accept" or "no! I decline" the license. THIS screen froze (a glass window) and the installation stopped dead with both versions (no error mesages). Thus No! WMP at all.

The problem has now been solved more by sheer perversity than anything else, we found that instead of clicking with the mouse when the glass window appeared with the license accept decline hitting enter or return on the keyboard moved it forwards and solved the problem. My friend now has WMP10 working fine.

**He didnt want another media player and sometimes in IT espcially in business you cannot just go off and download another peice of software. You are forced to try and resolve the problem your faced with & sometimes this is because of financial reasons or sometimes for other company reasons so you have to make do with what your given and not take the easy way out.

But Thanks for your interest anyway, Cheers Ivan Cool

Ah, I now see the problem!
I probably wouldn't have had any suggestions for it anyway.

Glad you got it sorted.

* My remark about using another free media player was more aimed at your quip about Microsoft not support their free piece of software. I was basically saying you get what you pay for, and in my opinion WMP10 is pretty good value. Complaining about no support for a free product just seemed like you were expecting a bit much. I'm sure there are many other things you could of had a stab at MS with other than not supporting a free piece of software (that you didn't have to get/install).
N/A

Replying again

Hi Again,

No of course!! your right when you download & try to install a free peice of software and it goes *rse over *tit and theres no technical support to help you out then your right, what do you expect!! you have no right to complain but you have to admitt its still pretty angry making or absolutely frustrating though. Errrrrrrr!!!!!!!! nashing of teeth!!!!

Ivan :lol: