cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re-Direction of email to an email address?

N/A

Hi,
Here's a problem that I am trying to find a solution to (so far no success!), does any knowledge-able person know how (or if its possible) to redirect an email from an ordinary PC to a single email address. I use Outlook as my email client in combination with Mailwasher Pro (mailwasher tech support say this isnt possible from mailwasher which is a huge shame!).

Here's what I'd really like to be able to do, for every email spam or junk which I add to mailwasher's blacklist (which is only a simple text file) once added to this list I'd like all future spam & junk to be automatically redirected to force9's blackhole email address i.e. send the spam into the email void never to return.

I feel certain that there must be away or a means to make this a reality not just for me but for anyone. I'm sure it might be simple or it might involve some form of programming which is beyond my skillset. Still I am an optimist, & maye somebody out there knows exactly how to do this?

Yours Hopefully!! :lol: Ivan
14 REPLIES
N/A

Ivan

It sounds like you want something similar to this Hotmail feature:

Block messages from specific senders
To reduce unwanted e-mail, you can block messages from specific e-mail addresses or from entire domains (a domain is the part of an e-mail address that follows the @ sign). Blocked messages never reach your account.

Hotmail users manage this from a web page. F9 I guess could do the same sort of thing. Perhaps F9 could add a feature that allowed you to forward the email you want blocked to a special F9 address, it would automatically add the address to your blocked list.

Neil
N/A

Thanks Narrs

Hi Narrs,
Many Thanks for your comments but F9 have already said that they are unable to do what you've rightly suggested. I contacted Mailwasher tech support and they also confirmed that their software cannot yet do such a thing as re-direct junk/spam to an individual email address. It just seems one of those aweful limitations of the email system/technology on the one hand and the software I use on the other.

I dont think what I want to achieve here is rocket science? and if I was a programmer I would write a routine or program that would solve this but hey!! I'm not so no point in worrying about it further for now. I'll just have to keep deleting the dam stuff from my mail box the old fashioned way. Cheers anyway my friend.

Ivan Cool
N/A

Well lets hope it's a feature of the new email re-vamp. Smiley

Cheers

Neil
N/A

I have recently downloaded the IncrediMail programme for my Wife to use (albeit reluctantly), that has a feature similar to Mailwasher in that you can bounce, not sure about re-directing to delete though.

Mark
N/A

Thanks

Hi guys,
Thanks for your comments but non of the suggestions really come close to helping me achieve specificaly what I want to do. But appreciated your comments very much, cheers Ivan
N/A

re-direct

You can do what you want by using Microsoft Outlook. Not sure about outlook express but they are very similar. To do this in Microsoft Outlook follow the steps bellow;

1. Add the address you want to send all your junk mail to into your contacts
2. Turn on junk Mail by going to Tools > Organise > Junk Mail: then click the "Turn On" button
3. Now go to the rules by going to Tools > Rules Wizard
a) Click New
b) make sure "Check messages when they arrive" is highlighted and click Next
c) On this next screen "Which conditions do you want to check?" go down to the bottom of the list and tick the box next to "Suspected to be junk e-mail from junk senders" and click next

d) On the "What do you want to do with the message?" tick the box next to "Forward it to people or distribution list" Dont click next yet.

e) After you ticked box on step 3(d) it will add a new line into the "Rule Description" you will find this under the "What do you want to do with the message?" The new line should say "Forward it to people or distribution list" where the "People or distribution list" is underlined. Click that"
f) This has now brought up your contacts, select from the list the contact where you want to send all your junk email (the address that you set up earlier)
g) after you have selected your contact click next
h) ignore this screen and click next again
i) Name your rule, by typing somthing into the "Please specify a name for this rule"
j) Make sure the "Turn on this rule" is ticked
k) and click finish
L) Click ok

Now every time you recieve an email thats you have added to your junk list (this can be done by right clicking on the email and selecting Junk mail from the list then press add to junk senders list.
If you have any question please feel free to contact me.
Hope this is what you wanted
sion@coolshots.co.uk
N/A

Re-dir email

regarding my last post i just had another look at your question, instead of selecting the forward option instead you could also just delete the emails. After this all the mail that comes through that has an address in your junk mail should be auto deleted and you shouldnt even notice it. The only reason i can understand why you would want to forward it would be to add it to another blocking address.
N/A

Thanks for constructive idea

Hi sion3000
Thank you for your very helpful /constructive ideas, fortunately I do use Outlook and not OE. I will have a close look at the points you've made. This sounds very useful & is very close to what I'm trying for.

Thanks Once again, Best Regards Ivan Cool
N/A

Perhaps 'bouncing' will do what you want.

:idea: Go to http://www.bouncebully.com/ and see what they offer.

Apparently you can redirect spam through them which tells the spammer that your account no longer exists. This will get you removed from their list since they don`t want to be handling lots of 'bounces' Tongue
N/A

but as most spam has spoofed from addresses it is of little use

Darren
N/A

Replying

Hi Darren,

Ahhh!!! Yes!! theres the rub!! as you so rightly point out most spam has spoofed return address's which is exactly why I want to re-direct into the F9 black hole, so the flipping things dont come back. Its amazing that I still dont have an easy to configure or setup solution to this. I feel certain that IF and Yes! its probably a BIG IF?? this was possible there would be alot of money to be made from this idea. Frankly the spammers would be almost completely defeated for as quickly as they spammed us equally quickly we could bin them into a black hole. I think they would give up pretty dam quick if every ISP in the UK provided ways to re-direct spam & junk into a black hole. I think blackholes have a real future when it comes to defeating the spammers (but they dont know it yet of course!!).

Cheers Ivan
N/A

Ivan,

from my expierience of ISP's (i have used many) having a blackhole seems tio be unique Spam filtering is much more robust than redirecting, alot of ISP's are now spam filtering for free even to pay as you go customers. and unlike F9's spam filter seem to work very well, With my virgin email account i have gone from over 200 spams a week, to around half a dozen since they introduced free spam filtering, on the other hand the force9 spam filter during the month i tried it, only ever marked 2 items as spam, and unfortunateley they were genuiun email that i wanted, and not 1 bt of spam was caught Sad

anyway back to your point i can't see anyone making a program as you require as the system seems to be unique to F9. although i can't see how it will benefit you as opposed to just deleting as you will still need to manually filter your emails like you do with mailwasher, then redirect them. once they reach the blackhole F9 delete them, so all you are doing is adding another step into your spam filtering.

or am i misunderstandingHuh

Darren
N/A

You can redirect email to blackhole@abuse.plus.com and the mail just magically disappears...
N/A

Replying

Hi csogilvie

No! I carn't THATS the whole point!! or havent you read all my previous threads in this discussion. You can bounce email to a known email server or IP address of a known email server but I cannot at the moment re-direct or bounce my unwanted email's (spam & junk) to a specific email address which IS precisely what I would like to do but without any loss to my legit emails.

Both Mailwasher & Outlook DONT allow for this process otherwise I would be using it NOT writting or discussing it like here.

Ivan