cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: ADSL and the weather

N/A

Re: ADSL and the weather

Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this whilst in a thunder storm -

I had problems with my connection in Leeds from about 2pm onwards yesterday, losing synch, no transfer, etc. I wasn't going to say anything just in case it was because my connection is theoretically "out of limits". Anyway, today is spot on again Cheesy

Regards

Mark
6 REPLIES
N/A

ADSL and the weather

Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this whilst in a thunder storm -

for a couple of hours before, during and for about an hour after my ADSL synched and then dropped within a couple of seconds. Looking at the readouts the SNR for the couple of seconds it was on, it varied very wildly. Also, when it did eventually connect it was still varying a lot (between 7 and 16 dB).

Its now stable at 15-16 dB with no signal loss since, however is this normal behaviour for an electrical storm?

I do realise that I'm on the limit of 2mbits anyway, did this just push it over the edge?

Cheers,

Jarv
N/A

SRN & Storm conditions? Ivan

Hi Jarv,

Well when people ask about internet use and why connection quality, connection speeds, and general internet traffic conditions. I often say that the wheather can be a significant factor, dampness or wet getting into BT cables or into connectors, EMR (electo-magnetic radiation), RFI (radio frequency interference) such as passing taxi's, aircraft, & other local radion sources, and finally solar radiation (yes! lots of people laugh at this one but believe me solar flares give out huge amounts of gamma radiation which can affect electrical systems like satellites etc).

**Theres no such thing as "normal" electrical conditions generated by thunder storms. But Yes! I do believe the electrical activity of intense thurder storms can and does affect communications systems and so yes! ADSL signal to noise ratio's could well be upset by this, & as you said could be enough to tip the connection over the edge "thus dropped connections" might be possible. Especially if your connection is stable otherwise and only dropped during the passing electrical storm. Its NOT a silly concept at all, just logical.

Ivan
--------------------------------------------------
F9 FOL Forum Moderator
F9 Broadband Premier 2MB User
Your Forum Your Voice,Get Involved!
N/A

ADSL and the weather

Thanks for the reply cyteck - it was a very large storm by my accounts, and I could see the clouds rolling in and building up for quite a while before it occurred. Blaming the highly charged air was my logical conclusion.

P.S. I don't laugh at the suggestion of solar flares at all! They have been known to knock out entire power grids in some countries (though that intensity of flare doesnt happen very often) - so I dont think my ADSL would stand much of a chance if one hit us Smiley The only thing with solar flares is that the sun fires them out in all directions, and for us to get hit its the equivalent of a 1cm diameter circle at nearly 120m distance - so luckily we dont get hit too often Smiley

Thanks again cyteck!

Jarv
N/A

ADSL & storms replying Ivan

Hi Mark,

Thats very Ironic as I had downed my system over the weekend as I was out of Leeds. So I have no idea what effect the thunder storm might have had on my ADSL connection?

**Thunder storms do definately cause huge atmospheric electrical charges to build up and of course these charges are releases via lightening and then the sound of the thunder. So as the charges are earthed into the ground and as many telecoms cables are buried into the ground, its not a silly concept that phone lines might well be affected, after all phone lines do carry some electrical current even if thats pretty small.

Ivan
--------------------------------------------------
F9 FOL Forum Moderator
F9 Broadband Premier 2MB User
Your Forum Your Voice,Get Involved!

[double posting removed by moderator]
N/A

ADSL and the weather

I am based just east of Leeds. In last weekends storm there was a lightning strike very close to our house - felt and sounded like a bomb going off in the garden! All lights and power blew. After that my Belkin router wouldnt ever sync - but luckily it's being replaced under warranty - phew!

Adam
Community Veteran

ADSL and the weather

I don't know if the storms knocked out my connection but I do know they caused sufficent power dips to reboot my un-UPS'd servers.
I saw the storms through a skylight, but a friend said that they were awesome, with the lightening striking the sea :shock:
F9 member since 4 Sep 1999
F9 ADSL customer since 27 Aug 2004
DLM manages your line the same way DRM manages your rights.
Look at all the pretty graphs! (now with uptime logging!)