cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Random name spam

N/A

Random name spam

Help I'm Reciving buckets of spam selling me software from what appears to be random names like "outpost b. chipend". I block each one as they arrive but they don't stop any tips? I'm running outlook express via pop3
4 REPLIES
N/A

Spam Ivan

Hello,

Sadly this tends to happen to most of us at some point in time, I've had this experience many many times. This is just one of those spammers techniques the random scatter gun effect as it were, if you can open the headers of one of these emails and try and see if they are all coming from the same domain?

**Dont expect much as even the domain names are spoofed (not real).

**you could try reporting this junk to spamcop if you wanted too, its free to register and by copying & pasting the full headers into the spamcop service their program "Parses" the headers and then identifies the domain or networks which it travelled across and spamcop reports can be sent to network admins to try and stop any more. It has some degree of success when i tried this.

http://www.spamcop.net

Ivan
--------------------------------------------------
F9 FOL Forum Moderator
F9 Broadband Premier 2MB User
Your Forum Your Voice,Get Involved!
N/A

Random name spam

the only other tip I can offer is get some smtp filtering software which looks at the X-Header and other levels around that area. These usually work out a spam based on a rule and point set, and will delete, quarrentine, forward or whatever over a certain amount of points.

Its the mail which are spoofed and relayed which are the ones.. such as a mail from a.b.com from server c.d.com and the orginating message being created at x.y.com which has bene relayed across the entire internet.... or those emails with no sender are usually a little suspicious
N/A

Dont you mean POP3 filters? Ivan

Hi Spink,

I'm sure the point your making is a valid one but dont you mean POP3 filtering software (SMTP would only apply to out going email i.e. sending emails? from his machine) sure what he wants is software that filters incoming POP3 emails based on its headers? i.e. filter out the spam & junk based on some rule as you say setup by the user themsleves.

**SMTP =simple mail transfer protocol its purpose is the sending or transportation of outgoing mail thats all it does.

**POP3= Post Office Protocol three used solely for the inbound / receiving of email and nothing more.

**Both of the above email protocols are very old and were created more than 30years ago now with the birth of the internet back in the last sixties and early seventies. But remain essential elements for the web & its use.

Ivan
--------------------------------------------------
F9 FOL Forum Moderator
F9 Broadband Premier 2MB User
Your Forum Your Voice,Get Involved!
N/A

Random name spam

I don't see any mention of the black hole facility. Go to the member centre and make mailboxes that you know you will use. You can then raise a ticket to CS and ask them to send to blackhole any address which is not listed in your mailboxes. Cuts it down overnight, except for the trickle you will always get.

Mark