cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

REINSTALL OF XP

N/A

REINSTALL OF XP

Cry HI CAN ANYONE PLEASE HELP ME I REINSTALLED WINDOWS XP AND HAVE DONE BEFORE HOWEVER LAST NIGHT I LOST A LOT OF MY FILES MORES SO PHOTOS AND MUSIC CAN ANYONE HELP ME RESOLVE THIS PROBLEM AS I AM REALLY STUCK AND DO NOT KNOW WHAT TO DO IM NOT GREAT WITH COMPUTERS SO PLEASE CAN ANYONE HELP.
KAT
3 REPLIES
N/A

REINSTALL OF XP

Hello KAT,

YES! I can and will happily help you out if I can. I have been using windows for over 10 years now and used to work in the IT industry. OK! look we all have this kind of disaster experience at some point in our computer lives, you know stuff happens.

Qtn 1, (various questions too you) do you have the original microsoft windows XP disk (CD) that came with your machine when it was new. So you can re-install XP from this?

Qtn 2, which version of windows are you running is it any of the following:- Windows 2000, Windows 2000 pro, Windows XP Home or Windows XP Pro.

Qtn 3, Do you have any of your original program (applications) disks, the disk or CD's the programs came on. Again so you can re-install them if required?

Qtn 4, Did you have or make ANY backup's of you data, i.e. music MP3's, video files, image files i.e. jpegs or jpg files, word files, spreadsheet files,etc. Or has it all goneHuh If you didnt make any backup's there is a good chance you may have lost your data, which means all the files or stuff you may have downloaded from the internet etc. (its a hard one but one most of us dont forget in a hurry!!).

**THE WORST CASE!! SENARIO!!
If your computer HAS crashed (gone down) badly & windows XP has been damaged then you only really have one course of action to be honest with you. Your going to have to write off your data (its gone, you wont get it back) especially if your data was saved to the same disk drive on which windows XP was installed.

You will have to re-install windows XP (some people go for a repair of the operating system but this isnt an option I recommend too you!). This means your hard disk drive/s will need to be re-formatted and a full clean copy of wndows XP will need to be installed. After XP is re-installed then you would need to re-install any of your applications from disks you have for them. And after that if you did have any backup's of your data, then restore your data from backups'. As you can see its a complex and long winded process. This is why correctly made backups are so vital to have & save alot of time.

**You will require the XP product key from your original disk (OEM disk) & also may need to re-activate windows XP either over the internet or by having to phone Microsoft. Because with XP your operating system i.e. windows is locked to your hardware & any changes mean you might ( & I stress might?) need to have your copy of XP reactivated again. Depends its not always the case though (not sure!!).

**I have XP Pro and I have created automated system backup's, I make these about every 3 months or so. So if my machine goes down badly, I re-install XP first, secondly I run my ASR set backup and then run my last daily backup set. I can usally have XP completely restored back to yesturdays data set within about 30mins which inst bad considering. **But I do have alot of experience of how too do this, plus this system is based on many years hard won experience of when things like this go wrong.

**You MUST HAVE a good backup stratergy or system so you wont loose any more of your valuable personal data or programs,images etc.

LET ME KNOW if this helps or ask me any other questions you might have, or you can email me at ivan@cyteck.co.uk or PM here at F9, or post me a reply,etc.

Best Regards Ivan
N/A

Further Replying Ivan

Friday 16th June 06
15:06pm
To: Kat
Replying

Dear Kat,

OK!! that's the problem with people who have a little bit of computer experience or being reliant upon well meaning friends. The problem with this kind of situation is it definately requires a VERY technically experienced user like myself to sort it out. Why? I hear you ask, (ans) well because there are definate do's & definate dont's in this circumstance. Only very knowledgable people who have first hand experience with major crashes will know how best to sort the tangled mess that this can be.

Conclusion!!
**It seems from what you have said that after the crash (but before the repair) your important files were probably still in tact on your C: drive, & after the attempted repair the files were also still on C: at that time. However, my diagnosis would be that after the attempted repair which went wrong you've now lost any hope of recovering your files. I'm sorry! to have to tell you this but I'm certain your data is now lost and is NOT recoverable.

**Future Tip,
Always in future try & have a second physical disk drive onto which you only save your important data, why? because if your important data files are on drive E: (for example!) and windows XP home is installed on drive C: if your system drive fails (the drive containing windowsXP) only windows XP is lost and NOT your data.

**For future backup's I strongly suggest that you purchase a second disk drive, you can easily do this by using a USB attached external disk drive. The cost of such drives has come down alot in the last few years but make sure any backup drive is atleast as big as your system drive i.e. the one containing winXP home. (Freecom, La Cie, Gateway all these companies make good external USB drives).

Finally,
Now your data is gone, the best thing you can do is re-format the whole disk drive & re-install windowsXP home as a clean fresh installation. Sadly, this is what I would highly recommend, after XP is re-installed then re-install your programs from disks, drivers,etc. When you have your machine up and working once again make sure you get hold of a second external disk and only save data to this external disk drive. Yes! after this aweful experience you should learn from this and make absolutely certain you make good backup's of any important files you need to keep.

**XP has a very good tool for making backup's. From start button, program menu, accessories, system tools, backup. This backup tool is infact written by seagate who created the famous BackupExec so its very reliable as its NOT written by Microsoft themselves.

Ivan
ivan@cyteck.co.uk
tracyl

Re: REINSTALL OF XP

Cry HI CAN ANYONE PLEASE HELP ME I REINSTALLED WINDOWS XP AND HAVE DONE BEFORE HOWEVER LAST NIGHT I LOST A LOT OF MY FILES MORES SO PHOTOS AND MUSIC CAN ANYONE HELP ME RESOLVE THIS PROBLEM AS I AM REALLY STUCK AND DO NOT KNOW WHAT TO DO IM NOT GREAT WITH COMPUTERS SO PLEASE CAN ANYONE HELP.
KAT

Not sure if this will help but here goes,
I started to have horrible problems with XP (crashing etc) so reinstalled XP. Did not realise that the original files etc (from my Docs and other Folders that I had created) were still in the directory. Found them quit by accident. It would appear that unless you re-format the hard-drive then reinstalling from a XP disc does not over write them. It simply adds the XP software again.
Like I said, hope this helps TL