cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RE: www.mydomain.com & mydomain.com HOW?

N/A

Hello ,

I need a little help.
How can I set the DNS to recognise both

www.mydomain.com & mydomain.com ?

I want to point both to the same space just to be able to set the DNS so that both are useable.

Please can someone shed some light on the subject for me .

Thanks

6 REPLIES
N/A

DNS needs to point to something so www.mydoamin.com is fine its a webserver. mydomain.com is what? You need to know what record to point to it ie MX.

if you have Xp win2k or nt if you type nslookup when online you will get the details first type set q=all and then your domain name.
I have done this on plus.net and you can see it shows the dns servers,mail etc. Generaly you set the dns to a www address and the MX record to a mail server, you can see plus net has 3 each one with a priority so if the first fails it goes to the next.

Do you want to host your own DNS?

C:\Documents and Settings\mwright>nslookup
Default Server: ns-cache1.plus.net
Address: 212.159.11.150

> set q=all
> plus.net
Server: ns-cache1.plus.net
Address: 212.159.11.150

plus.net
primary name server = ns1.force9.net
responsible mail addr = hostmaster.plus.net.uk
serial = 2840180981
refresh = 43200 (12 hours)
retry = 1800 (30 mins)
expire = 3600000 (41 days 16 hours)
default TTL = 86400 (1 day)
plus.net nameserver = ns2.force9.net
plus.net nameserver = ns1.force9.net
plus.net MX preference = 75, mail exchanger = mx.last.plus
plus.net MX preference = 5, mail exchanger = gatekeeper.fo
ns1.force9.net internet address = 195.166.128.16
ns2.force9.net internet address = 195.166.128.17
gatekeeper.force9.net internet address = 195.166.135.195
mx.last.plus.net internet address = 212.159.3.230
>

> Hello ,
>
> I need a little help.
> How can I set the DNS to recognise both
>
> www.mydomain.com & mydomain.com ?
>
> I want to point both to the same space just to be able to set the DNS so that both are useable.
>
> Please can someone shed some light on the subject for me .
>
> Thanks
>
>

fonejacker
Grafter

Hi Neil,

This would be the default configuration if you hosted both domains with us (You can seperate them to different directories in yoru FTP space if you prefer).

Other than that, I'm not sure what it is you are looking to do?

Regards,

Ian Wild
PlusNet Customer Support
N/A

Hello sorry I think I need to clarify my question a bit thanks for the info on nslookup though.

Ok, I have a domain www.mydomain.co.uk I want users to be able to type in www.mydomain.co.uk or mydomain.co.uk into the address bar and to be sent to www.mydomain.co.uk, an example of what I mean is google.co.uk.

If you type google.co.uk you get redirected to
http://www.google.co.uk and if you type in all the w's you go to the same place.

Please could some one help me out on this topic.

N/A

> If you type google.co.uk you get redirected to
> http://www.google.co.uk and if you type in all the w's you go to the same place.
>
> Please could some one help me out on this topic.
>

Hi,

To do this requires the webservers to be configured very specifically for your domain. This is not something we, or most other ISPs / Hosting companies can offer due to the extra technical difficulties this configuration presents.

Regards,

Ian Wild
PlusNet Customer Support

N/A

Most hosting ISP's would do this without a single problem, and 99% offer it as default.

Additionaly, most will offer many other services that +Net will not, though you may have to pay a small admin fee to do so (hosted subdomains for one (no, not pointed/framed sub-domains, I mean web-server answered queries as if it was another domain)).

While I think the way +net do it is shoddy, at the same time, I see the problems it involves for them.

Before they even do hosting for customer domains, they allready have a mass configuration of ordinary customer web-space.

Years before I moved to +net (now my ISP), I had domains hosted with a company (that are going down the pan I might add).

Many of the customers that hosted with +net, moved there domains to this company (no names, +net know who though). It usualy involved a lot of hastle to get it done, but it eventualy happened.

Most of the customers stated, this is because they would configure to there needs, without hastle, and mostly with active encoragment, what +net sais was either impossible, or was "technicaly dificult".

The main point I would state is, +net are good as a connection providers, but are diddly squat at hosting.
N/A

Thanks anyway !