cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Project1 Sleep.exe

N/A

Project1 Sleep.exe

Hi, does anyone know what project1 sleep.exe is?

ZoneAlarm was asking permission for sleep.exe to access the net, i denied it, as i don't know what thats for.

I checked the details and it says its for a program project1 (which i dont have)
and it is in my windows/system folder named Sleep.exe 44 kb in size, and created on 10/11/2003 @ 00.26 Says its API, (sleep) file version 1.0.0.0 Im a bit woried i scanned the pc, but its clear, this isnt a trojan or something is it?. Anyone know.
13 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Project1 Sleep.exe

Have you tried running the Adaware and spybot programs that seek out any spyware that may have sneeked onto your PC?

If not you can download them and you may be amazed what they find. Shocked
N/A

Project1 Sleep.exe

Hi John how you doing.

Ok I had webroot SpySweeper on my computer, but hadn't ran it for a very long time, as it only comes free with some 'spyware' known, and you have to subscribe yearly to them (like norton anti-virus) to keep it up-to-date.

But I just did a full sweep of the pc there, it found 88 odd Backweb, and 2 other spyware, I deleted the spyware and I've got rid of an annoying HTTP 404 search engine page that always came on the browser when I get a dead url. so glad for that!.

But the other 88 Backweb, it says backweb is used for programs aswell as spying so I'm unsure just to delete 88 files without first looking at them, and sadly it doesn't break them down so you can see what you're deleting in that category. Thing like Windows Update and Norton anti-virus I have buggered up in the past by removing the backweb and they don't update automatically, have to do it manually now.

Do you know where I can get other spy sweepers that don't charge a subscription rate and give you a detail on what you are deleting?.

Thanks John.
N/A

Project1 Sleep.exe

The two best alternatives are SpyBot S&D or the more user friendly AdAware
N/A

Project1 Sleep.exe

Ok thanks alot for the links Eurotrain4 im off to download one! Cheesy
N/A

Project1 Sleep.exe

One thing I forgot to mention, when using SpyBoy be careful!. Only remove things which you are sure are spyware. Also, use the "Backup" feature within the program before doing anything.

If you're not confident or not entirely sure what you're looking for, I would recommend AdAware. Some say it's not as thorough, but it's certainly safer and more user friendly.
Community Veteran

Project1 Sleep.exe

Yes I agree with the above coments by eurotrain4.
The two programs do each find things the other doesn't so you need to run them both, but yes be a bit more carefull with spybot and just check that what it finds is really spyware.
I always run Adaware first as that finds the majority of things in a safe manner. Then follow up with Spybot to find the few that are left.
CJC1942
Grafter

Spyware

Hi,
You definitely need to run both Ad-aware & Spybot to be sure, they both have "restore" options so you can get yourself out of trouble.
I've also installed "Spywareblaster", this stops the vast majority of spyware being installed in the first place.
Search "Google" for "Spywareblaster" to download it.
Obviously you have to remember to update all three programs and to run Adaware and Spybot regularly, but "Spywareblaster" does it's own thing all of the time.
N/A

Project1 Sleep.exe

Hi lads,

I installed Ad-aware 6 yesterday, and it found 8 spies which the other program I have webroot's 'SpySweeper' didn't. ad-aware 6 found a registry spy and the others were cookies I think, cant recall the name now as I deleted the quarantine.

I haven't got 'SpyBot' yet, or 'Spywareblaster' but will have a look shortly,
as you said it's a bit un-safe if you were to delete everything it found,
for example I downloaded a newer version of 'Spy Sweeper' the other day too, you have to subscribe to keep it up-to-date. but the sample version was more up-to-date than the version I got back in March. the older version took some spyware off my computer but also said I had 88 backweb files, which could be spies, but also might be part of a program and cause it not to work!, I think I did delete some files by mistake a long time back, as my Windows XP auto update never works auto now, and same for Norton Antvirus 2003, I have to keep scanning for updates manually.

Anyway I got the newer version of Spy sweeper (www.webroot.com) and now it says I have 1200 backweb files, asks me to delete them then warns me I might stop programs working.. So I just left it. I only delete the ones which come up as Spy ware, the backweb I wont touch now, and 1200 is alot of time to go through manually.

One of the scans from Spy Sweeper even tells me 'Ispy Webcam software' is spyware and to delete it, which it isn't! as i bought it and installed that myself a year or so back.

Sorry to keep editing this but i forgot, another that it tells me to get rid of, is 'WildTangent' it says they collect all information from people who use this software and sell it on to third parties, it says it's running in my pc's memory, btw 'WildTangent' is like a driver to play games, i have a pinball game which needs it to work. BlasterBall2. see http://www.wildtangent.com

Anyway I will give the others a go and see what comes up!.

Thanks again for your help. Cheesy
N/A

Project1 Sleep.exe

I used adaware for a while and found that I lost the ability to rename folders.

I had to reinstall W98 to fix the problem and stop using adaware to stop it from happening again.
N/A

Project1 Sleep.exe

I would bet sleep.exe is from the nt res kit or simliar and is just used in batch files to wait for x mins. Run sleep /? and it should tell you. Anything with a project1 is normaly Vb or some development system.
N/A

Project1 Sleep.exe

Hi i would have agreed with you up till around an hour ago as i has looked 'sleep.exe. up on google and it said as you have, But i looked at the API file on notepad when i first wrote this thread and seen a POST command line thats why i thought it was a trojan, plus it was something that wasnt there before in my system folder.

Norton antivirus didnt dectect anthing before, but....
i have just updated my virus defs second time since Wednesday, snd scanned my PC afterwards, it WAS a trojan!, and im glad i told Zonealarm to refuse it internet acess when it tried to gain it.

Read this from my scan an hour ago.

Source: C:\WINDOWS\system\Sleep.exe
Description: The file C:\WINDOWS\system\Sleep.exe is infected with the Download.Trojan virus.
Click for more information about this virus : Download.Trojan

Download.Trojan connects to the Internet and downloads other Trojans or components.

Variants: Trojan Horse
Type: Trojan Horse
Infection Length: varies

Systems Affected: Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows NT, Windows 2000, Windows XP, Windows Me
Systems Not Affected: Macintosh, UNIX, Linux

Download.Trojan does the following:

Goes to a specific Web or FTP site that its author created and attempts to download new Trojans, viruses, worms, or their components.
After the Trojan downloads the files, it executes them.

etc.......

I just turned off my system restore and re-booted, checked for anymore updates, which there was none, then done another scan to make sure it was deleted off quarantine and gone before i rebooted and switched resystem restore back on and created a point (after sleep.exe trojan was removed)

Sorry to go on! I havent been to sleep yet im loaded with the flu and feel awful,
but im away now just wanted to show you what that sleep.exe really was!

Thanks again Cheesy
N/A

Project1 Sleep.exe

I overlooked a very important question; have you updated your AV before scanning. Glad to see it's fixed though (good call on the ZA blocking Smiley)
Community Veteran

Project1 Sleep.exe

Great. Glad you have found it and shared the information on the forums here.
It just shows what nasties are lurking out there in cyberspace :twisted:
It certainly re-enforces the need to have up to date virus protection and a firewall.