cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems with the DG814 Netgear router

N/A

Problems with the DG814 Netgear router

Hi all

I have adsl switched on through Force9.net and I went ahead and bought the connection hardware for a self install.

I bought a Netgear DG814 modem/router, and some network cables and I have a reasonably large problem Sad

All the lights come on the router fine, the 1 light for the PC network connection (green, meaning 100mbit), one light for power (green, always a good sign Smiley and one light for the internet connection through the RJ11 cable into the splitter into the phone socket.

I have set my PC to use the ip address 192.168.0.2 and can ping the router on 192.168.0.1 no problems at all but when I try and connect to the control panel http://192.168.0.1/ i get a 403/Forbidden error in the web browser when entering the correct user/password.

I have manually configured my tcp/ip settings as follows:

IP: 192.168.0.2
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Gateway: 192.160.0.1

If I set tcp/ip to assign me a default IP address, it puts me on a completely different subnet (169.something.something) with a subnet mask of 255.255.0.0 and no gateway. Obviously, I cannot even ping the router or anything when I am in this situation so I switched to a manually assigned IP.

The really strange thing is that when asked for a username/password, if i enter an invalid user/pass combination the router does not give me an error, just resets the password box and asks again. Yet when I supply the correct user/password ('admin' and 'password'), it goes away and thinks about it for a few seconds and then gives me a 403/Forbidden error. I only get this error when i supply the correct password.

This makes me think that its an IP address problem and that somehow it thinks my IP address is forbidden from accesing the router control panel.

Any help would be gratefully received!
2 REPLIES
N/A

RE: Problems with the DG814 Netgear router

>
> Any help would be gratefully received!

(Since you did say *any help* would be gratefully received, here's my contribution.)

Have you been able to bring up the Router's web server at all? (How did you configure the router?). I'd be inclined to reset the router back to its factory settings, and start again from scratch, with just one PC connected to it - presumably the router acts as a DHCP server by default, so the connected PC can be configured as a DHCP client ("Obtain IP address automatically" or some similar option on Windows). You should be able to access the router's web server even if the router has no connection to the Internet. If it won't accept the factory-provided user-ID and password (check your Caps Lock button!) you should report it as a fault to your supplier.

Not being a DG814 user myself, I found these setup parameters in the uk.telecom.broadband newsgroup:

System Name: <Leave Blank>
Domain Name: <Leave Blank>

Multiplexing Method: VC-BASED
VPI: 0
VCI: 38

Encapsulation: PPP over ATM
Username: <Your Force9 username>@f9.co.uk
Password: <Your Force9 Password>
Idle Timeout: 0

WAN IP: Get Automatically from ISP
DNS Server: Get Automatically from ISP

That's it. Power Cycle the Router and away it should go!
N/A

RE: Problems with the DG814 Netgear router

Have you been able to bring up the Router's web server at all? (How did you configure the router?).

---

As far as I can get to the router is to ping it, I have never been able to get to the router control panel.

---

I'd be inclined to reset the router back to its factory settings, and start again from scratch,

---

Done, tried factory reset after I had this problem several times last night, nothing changed

---

check your Caps Lock button!

---

Smiley Yup, checked that Wink

---

You should report it as a fault to your supplier.

---

I phoned netgear this morning and they were as stumped as I was, no idea what was wrong so I am returning it as faulty Sad

Thanks very much for the help.