cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems with iPAQ access?

N/A

Problems with iPAQ access?

Can anyone help me wth some problems I am having accessing my account on plusnet using a Compaq iPAQ and a Nokia 6210 using bluetooth?

I am configured to dial in on the correct number but 9 times out of 10 it connects, appears to handshake, and then disconnects again with no apparent reason. If this was happening 100% of the time I would exoect my config to be incorrect (maybe wrong password for example) but I do occasionally get through!

Unusually, Plusnet support have not been too helpful on this one.

Any help gratefully received

--
Grimmy
6 REPLIES
N/A

RE: Problems with iPAQ access?

Considering most ISPs are in the market for land lines, it isn't a suprise.

I can only sugest trying to turn the speed down a little more.

Do you have issues with other free access ISPs
N/A

> Any help gratefully received
>
>
>
> --
> Grimmy

I have found Nokia(unusually :lol: ) helpful when it comes to setting up mobile data. But maybe as Phillip said, reducing the timeout speed on the Ipaq will help. Have you tried connecting over Infra Red, just to make sure it's not a Bluetooth problem? Nokia's early Bluetooth is not well known for reliablity! Roll eyes

Hmmm might be worth me setting up a dial-up connection on my laptop now just to make sure it works..sometimes need net access in the field even if it is only at 9.6kps!

Regards
Steve
N/A

Thanks for all your advice.

I have tried setting up a new service to a different ISP and it works perfectly! - I have also tried reducing the speed and also using infrared.... but no change on the Plusnet front.

I can only assume then that the problem is with Plus net.

I think I will have to consider changing ISP as this type of access is essential for me.

Thanks again for your help

If you have any more ideas please let me know.
--
Grimmy
N/A

> If you have any more ideas please let me know.
>
> --
> Grimmy

Hi there, sorry weekend away resulted in a slow reply!

Have you tried connecting over IR? I have connected my 6310 to my laptop to dial-up and it all worked fine using plusnet. I don't have a bluetooth option (or an ipaq!) at the moment.
But if you can dial-in using the IR then this would narrow down where the problem lies!
Regards
Steve
N/A

In theory, Bluetooth shouldn't bleed into the mobile spectrum, however, with radio waves, it happens regardless, but these technologies are designed with this in mine, and address it as such.

The fact you state it happens with +net does throw a spanner in the works. However, without trials to other ISPs, and using alternate connection technologies, you are poot out of luck to proove it as only +net.

It is very true about Nokia and the bluetooth standards. I can't remember model numbers, software versions or revision codes, but Nokia started follwing there own standard at first.

This was know to cause all sorts of issues, though thes mainly concered connection to Bluetooth PC dongles.
N/A

>Thanks for your response.

I have tried with IR and have the same problems. I have also tried with a different ISP (NET Communications)and found that I have no problems at all (connect and retrieve mail every time.) I have reset up myconnection and my mailbox on the iPAQ... all to no avail.

I am pretty confident that this is a problem from a NET+ perpective but can't seem to get to the bottom it.

If you have any more thoughts please let me know.

Thanks
--
Grimmy