cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems with connection loss on Netgear 108 Mbps DG834GT

N/A

This is a tricky one. I have installed a Netgear 108 Mbps Modem/Router on a new connection with Force9. The connection comes up ok for around 40 mins then for some reason looses the assigned IP address. The status light stays constant green and the router info page reports its still connected. However when you test the connection the popup connection window reports that its not connected. The router will not re-connect on this line untill it is re-booted. I have done all the usual things with filters etc and even ttried a second router same make and model. I have also connected the router to a different force9 account and there is no loss of connection. (both lines were on the same exchange) I have raised a ticket but as yet no solution and support have even sugested if the green lights on its not thier problem (not too helpfull realy).

I would realy apreciate and help on this one.

Regards

Jim.
2 REPLIES
N/A

it would appear from what others have mentioned in previous topics that an upgrade Force9 did has led to problems with some netgear routers.

i myself am using one and getting constantly DC'd after anythign between 5 minutes and multiple hours. i still have yet to hear a reply on this from the support team after raising a ticket a month ago.
N/A

Hello Jim,

Whilst I'm NOT up on any known issues with Netgear routers as such, however if the data light on your router shows solid (not flickering) and from the symptoms you've described I have a sneaky feeling that your experiencing STALE ADSL Sessions.

Right well stale broadband sessions have very clear & classic signs of a solid light showing on the modem or router, a signal with the BT exchange yet no data can travel over the connection. The solution is pretty simple too, you must take down the router or modem and I suggest you physically disconnect the kit from the actual phone line. You should allow a minimum of 30-45 mins down time before any reconnection/s, why? because the down time will force the line card at your BT exchange to be reset and so when you do reconnect you will receive a fresh ADSL session which should fix the problem hopefully.

**NOTE: Stale ADSL sessions shouldnt as far as I am aware happen very often. For example I have only had 3 or 4 stale sessions in the last 3yrs since I've had BB. I run my system exactly like a server it runs 24/7.

**If your router does have a line stats feature then I also suggest that you log the connection for about the next 7-10 days and so it might be possible to see from the stats if stale sessions or something else is going on.

Ivan