cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems with CGI activation (or lack of!)

N/A

See this is where F9 get all confused...
I clicked on CGI activate on 21/12/03 at 14:00
I therefore assumed I would be able to use php scripts (and the MySQL database which was "instantly" active) within the "4 days"

However, I have not yet received the "CGI now active" eMail, which includes details of how to access the CGI server
I have tried the settings provided direct from F9, but they do not work
I have already uploaded a set of HTML (which work) and php )which do not work) scripts to /htdocs

Well it is now 30/12/03 and that is now 9 full days, and F9 are still looking into why the CGI service has not yet been activated on my account

Ironically, within the ticket raised I have been advised by several different technicians "active within 24 hours", "active within 7 days", "active within 10 days"
Make up your mind, surely this information is SET and not as fluid as that!
Even if I take the most pessimistic activation of "10 days" that is dreadfully long time for webspace that is being paid for, and would be 14:00 TODAY...
23 REPLIES
N/A

I upgraded from Home Surf to Home Surf, with CGI/php/MySQL on 21/12/03
The MySQL facility was available within a few minutes
The CGI facility was set to activate, then advised it would take "up to 4 days" to activate
That is the longest I have ever heard of for activation of a service, but if that is what they state, then OK
I then sent a ticket, asking due to the holiday period could an estimate be made on this
The reply stated "within 24 hours"
Excellent, I thought
24 hours passed, no eMail with the settings, and the php scripts didn't work
A further ticket query was raised, but the reply advised "up to 10 days"
WHAT!
A technical reply came a few hours later stating that my CGI webspace was indeed active (and had a ping log!)
However, I still had NO eMail with details how to access it
Each and every day I've added further replies, and that is now 8 FULL days...
I have been billed for the upgrade, which was required, and for what?

A MySQL database that I can edit/delete records to/from but can't display in a browser using php
How USELESS!

Even if F9 actiavte the service, and send me the eMail, that is 9 days for an activation that is supposed to take "up to 4 days"

BUYER BEWARE
N/A

If your cgi space were actice then you would be to access cgi.mjkerr.f9.co.uk which you can't at this time so I think there may have been a porky when told it was active. To ftp you would need to use crofters.force9.net as the host address. Username and password are the same as htdocs space although the cgi password expires every 100 days which is supposed to be a security feature, but in reality is a pain in the a*se.

Mark
N/A

I have tried the settings provided direct from F9, but they do not work I have already uploaded a set of HTML (which work) and php )which do not work) scripts to /htdocs

PHP will not work on htdocs (homepages), it is an entirely different server to the cgi server. The address for the cgi server is crofters.force9.net, this is where your cgi-bin will be and this is where you will need to upload your php files. Your cgi webspace will be cgi.mjkerr.f9.co.uk, now www.mjkerr.f9.co.uk.

Mark
N/A

Yes I know that the CGI scripts go onto crofters, but I cannot access it yet...
They are stored there, as they are part of a dynamic image script and form part of the HTML
Had F9 put CGI and HTML all on one server this process would be much easier!

I've been writing php scripts for 2 years, and using nix servers for 5 years, too long!
N/A

Had F9 put CGI and HTML all on one server this process would be much easier!

When they do finally activate your cgi space, why don't you put your site onto crofters? It is now allowable to do this and your whole site will be on one server as you wish.

Mark

(It would appear Ian or Josh are on Xmas holiday or I don't think they would have allowed this thread to go on so long without intervening).
N/A

I've kept the matter off the forum, until 7 days had passed
You should see the Support Ticket for this!

Access to crofters was finally possible within the last 2 hours, and the files are uploaded

cgi.mjkerr.force9.co.uk

Not much to see, access is prohibited!
It was like this before and after uploading the scripts...
N/A

Good to know it's finally activated though.

Regards

Mark
N/A

This URL has been like that since I first signed up in 1998
I have been aware I have CGI webspace all this time, but never used it...
N/A

It looks as if the config for the website has not been setup. I've asked Ian Wild to investigate the CGI setup on the PlusNet boards, so if you don't mind I'll also add your username to the list. I'd suggest raising a Contact Us ticket (or mention on an existing one) that you can not access it through the Web)
N/A

Raise a ticket...
I raised it on 21/12/03 and it's been running ever since!
N/A

There is a response from CS about the regrade to a 1MB line. Not quite the same thing, but I imagine with the same sort of time frame:

Regrades normally take 5 working days to complete (which would usually equate to 7 days with a weekend, but you need to add on a couple of days due to the bank holiday).

Mark
N/A

The upgrade from 512kbps to 1Mbps is quite different, and requires intervention and installtion from BT, over which Force 9 have no control (as this done at your local BT exchange)

The CGI server is totally within Force9 (PlusNet) control...
N/A

The upgrade from 512kbps to 1Mbps is quite different, and requires intervention and installtion from BT, over which Force 9 have no control (as this done at your local BT exchange)

The CGI server is totally within Force9 (PlusNet) control...

I am well aware of that which is why I stated in my previous post, and I quote " I imagine with the same sort of time frame". I appreciate you have the ump, but there is not a lot of point spitting your dummy at me as I can't do anything about it. I am merely looking at it from an outsiders point of view. I will not pretend I have never been dissatisfied with F9 and have never made comments publicly, but when doing so, you have to accept other people have a different perception of what is going on to you.

BT run a 24/7, 365 operation as do F9, but both F9 and BT will have a smaller amount of staff than normal over the Christmas/ New Year period to cover basic CS support. I imagine that most of the techies are on holiday, things WILL take longer with a weekend and 2 bank holidays in succession. F9 will probably adjust your following month's payment to take into account the extended cgi activation time.

Shall we chill now until hopefully someone from CS decides to post in the forum?

Mark
N/A

I've just swapped from one 512kbps service to another
I received an eMail asking me to disconnect then reconnect
When doing so the new connection would take effect

It takes BT up to 7 days to change over your DSL connection at your local exchange (usually within 3 miles of where you live)

This is quite different from the Force 9 server platforms...
I work for Lycos UK and our activation services are script based, so this usually takes no more than a few minutes (as part of the crontab update program)
I was shocked at first to read the CGI activation would take "up to 4 days"
That is why I contacted them and asked for an estimate based on the current workload (allowing for Christmas)
This reply came back, that it would probably be done "next day and within 24 hours"
Whn it wasn't I re-replied, and was advised "up to 10 days"
However, that was re-corrected and advised "by 26/12/03" (which would actually be "5 days")

Noone at Force9 really knew how long it would be or why when the CGI server for my settings is already active it doesn't work!
I've already paid for the upgrade and each day is costing me 39p...