cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

**Problems installing Ikonbaord**

N/A

**Problems installing Ikonbaord**

I know this has been posted a few times but I cant seem to find my answer in the posts

Basically all im after is the path to my CGI files and the Non-CGI Files so that I can input them into the installer.cgi script of Ikonboard ver 3.x

I know Ikonboard is just one of the many PHP/CGI forum clients out there but it seems to be the most popular F9, what about putting something on the FAQ page?

Cheers
Matt.
5 REPLIES
N/A

RE: **Problems installing Ikonbaord**

OK, this assumes you've created a folder under your cgi-bin folder called ikonboard and that you've also created a folder called iB_html in the root folder.

Then the paths you want are replace {Username} with your username:

CGI Directory Path: /files/local/home/{Username}/cgi-bin/ikonboard/
Non CGI Directory Path: /files/local/home/{Username}/iB_html/non-cgi/
Uploads Directory /files/local/home/{Username}/iB_html/uploads/
Backups Directory /files/local/home/{Username}/cgi-bin/ikonboard/BACK_UP/
Perl Path /usr/bin/perl

Sorry if that's more info than is required by the installer, but that's the config I had on my old board. I actually run a nice (php) invision board now on another host as ikonboard is in comparison a pig to use, but you can't run invisionboard on crofters as for some god unknown reason you're not given permission to drop tables from your own database (or at least no one has replied to my thread about that).

You should also take note of the fact that you can't run Ikonboard 3.1 as it requires a later version of MySQL than Force9 has on rumpus (Can't remember the exact version but it wants one that supports possibly null values in an index), so you'll have to go with version 3.02a.

Another alternative is PHPBB which although it doesn't have a very good admin CP is PHP and runs faster IMO than ikonboard. But invision boards the one for me, incidentally programmed by a load of people who quit ikonboard to write it.

Anyway rant over, hope the info on paths was what you wanted.
N/A

Thats Excellent, thanks for clearing it up for me.

Cheers
Matt
N/A

> Thats Excellent, thanks for clearing it up for me.
>
> Cheers
> Matt

Well, it still doesnt work! I've raised two high-priorty tickets with Force9 now and it seems they dont have a clue!

Where should I be storing the non-cgi folder and all the images inside it? if its on the homepages.force9.net server, whats the path to it because the paths above seem to work fine for everything else apart from images, which arn't displayed?!?

The path to the board is http://cgi.razorhazor.force9.co.uk/cgi-bin/Ikonboard/ikonboard.cgi

Any help would be most appreciated!

Cheers
Matt
N/A

http://cgi.razorhazor.force9.co.uk/ibHTML
on crofters: /files/local/home/razorhazor/iB_html/

should do the trick, there's no way to reference the homepages server from the cgi server, so you need to put all the non-cgi stuff in the root of the cgi server, that is the first directory you reach when you connect via ftp. Basically ftp in to crofters (cgi.razorhazor.force9.co.uk) as usual and create the iB_html directory there. Then put all the non cgi files in there. If that still doesn't work then you may need to chmod the directory and all its contents to 777 as that seemed to work for me (well for uploads anyway).

Actually to add to my general rant in my last reply the other reason, I changed provider for my forum was that you could only upload images via ikonboard if you were connected to the f9 network.

As for getting any support from f9 about this I wouldn't count on it as they state its an unsupported extra. I personally think they should change their advertising pages which state that you get MYSQL/PHP functionality as they're both basically crippled (you have to run them off another server - there's no guarantee of service, or support and you can't even manually drop tables from MYSQL). Rant over again

N/A

> http://cgi.razorhazor.force9.co.uk/ibHTML
> on crofters: /files/local/home/razorhazor/iB_html/
>
> should do the trick, there's no way to reference the homepages server from the cgi server, so you need to put all the non-cgi stuff in the root of the cgi server, that is the first directory you reach when you connect via ftp. Basically ftp in to crofters (cgi.razorhazor.force9.co.uk) as usual and create the iB_html directory there. Then put all the non cgi files in there. If that still doesn't work then you may need to chmod the directory and all its contents to 777 as that seemed to work for me (well for uploads anyway).
>
> Actually to add to my general rant in my last reply the other reason, I changed provider for my forum was that you could only upload images via ikonboard if you were connected to the f9 network.
>
> As for getting any support from f9 about this I wouldn't count on it as they state its an unsupported extra. I personally think they should change their advertising pages which state that you get MYSQL/PHP functionality as they're both basically crippled (you have to run them off another server - there's no guarantee of service, or support and you can't even manually drop tables from MYSQL). Rant over again
>
>
>
>

Cheers for clearing that up again Al, hopefully that should do it. I've just signed up for a hosting package with Burton Hosting, they seem more than capable of handling sites that use anything other than HTML!

At least I cant complain about the connection. Been on ADSL for more than 13 months with no probs!

Cheers
Matt