cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems downloading news

digitl
Grafter

Problems downloading news

I use Hamster to download news but since transferring to ADSL it regularly stops working with errors:
'2002/08/15 17:37:58 Exception connecting to usenet.force9.net:'
and
'2002/08/15 17:37:58 Exception[ESocketError] Windows socket error: A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond (10060), on API 'connect''.

Does anyone else who uses Hamster experience this?

Is there another application similar to Hamster which will run on Win XP which I can try?

I am using a Netgear DG814 router and nothing at this end of my ADSL connection has changed since I last successfully downloaded news.
6 REPLIES
digitl
Grafter

RE: Problems downloading news

Just to follow up my own posting...

I've set up a dialup connection and have immediately been able to download news using the currently configured Hamster. It would appear, therefore, that the problem lies with connecting through ADSL.

Could the fact that I use a Netgear DG814 router have a bearing on this as the router deals with the 'connection' and Hamster might be looking to the computer for the connection? Just a thought!
digitl
Grafter

Looks like I'm talking to myself here...

Has anyone else got/had problems with connecting to usenet on the £20.99 ADSL?

As of tonight I've been without access for a week and have been given no idea of when it will be restored.

Trying very hard to continue to be patient...
N/A

> Looks like I'm talking to myself here...
>
> Has anyone else got/had problems with connecting to usenet on the £20.99 ADSL?
>
> As of tonight I've been without access for a week and have been given no idea of when it will be restored.
>
> Trying very hard to continue to be patient...

Hi,

Access to Usenet binaries is not permitted on the ADSL Home Surf account. If you require this you can upgrade to ADSL Home Self-install at £22.99 per month via our website.

Regards,
Rob
--
| Robert Kelly...............Unmetered & ADSL solutions
| Technical Support......................for Home & Business
| PlusNet Technologies Ltd............@ http://www.plus.net
+ ----- My Referrals - It pays to recommend PlusNet ----- +

digitl
Grafter

> Access to Usenet binaries is not permitted on the ADSL Home Surf account.

I am aware of that and I am not trying to download binaries, just plain old text. I have no access to news of any description and it is now one week since I had. My patience is fast becoming exhausted.
digitl
Grafter

As of 6pm today, no response to my request for further information or to my earlier requests regarding transfer to the full ADSL, or an alternative fully functioning IP address, or a refund on my subscription consequent upon your inability to deliver the full ADSL service I have contracted for.

Only when I have telephoned, as I have had to do this evening, have I been able to elicit the vaguest of responses.

I am annoyed that my request to speak to the office manager was refused, especially when he was seated within a couple of metres of the person to whom I was speaking. This is unforgiveable - from what does he have to hide?

I will have no alternative but to refer this matter to West Yorkshire Trading Standards at midday tomorrow if I do not have a fully functioning account by then. I have waited patiently for 8 days.
N/A

> > Looks like I'm talking to myself here...
> >
> > Has anyone else got/had problems with connecting to usenet on the £20.99 ADSL?
> >
> > As of tonight I've been without access for a week and have been given no idea of when it will be restored.
> >
> > Trying very hard to continue to be patient...
>
> Hi,
>
> Access to Usenet binaries is not permitted on the ADSL Home Surf account. If you require this you can upgrade to ADSL Home Self-install at £22.99 per month via our website.
>
> Regards,
> Rob
> --
> | Robert Kelly...............Unmetered & ADSL solutions
> | Technical Support......................for Home & Business
> | PlusNet Technologies Ltd............@ http://www.plus.net
> + ----- My Referrals - It pays to recommend PlusNet ----- +
>
>
>
I went for the £22.99 package but as of yet im still unable to download the newsgroups? I tried using outlook express what the hell im I doing wrong guys give me some idea !!
Russell

--