cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems and puzzles with installing a PCTV card

N/A

Problems and puzzles with installing a PCTV card

Hoping someone can help with my puzzle.I bought a Pinnacle PCTV card last week,and trying to set it up is rapidly becoming a nightmare.According to "device manager" in Win98SE it installs ok and can find no conlicts,but when I try to run it:it stops with the warning "failed hardware initialization",and the reason given is that another application is using the PCTV drivers.This happens even though I have re-formated the HD,re-installed the OS and the PCTV card is the only one in the machine.However if I install differnt drivers and let it appear as "Conexant's BiPCI WDM video capture" it seems to work fine,using "Dscaler" to view the video which is inputed via the composite video from a rather elderly camcorder.which was one of the reasons for getting the card:to enable simple video editing,and perhaps to use the camera as a webcam.Which brings me to my second question,"Netmeeting" apparently does not work with WDM drivers.So is anyone anyone of an alternative to "Netmeeting",or a way to find some VFW drivers? So the bottom line is I have managed to get it to work as a video capture device,but am stuck at the conferencing stage.

Any help or ideas would be much appreciated.

Ian & Linda Jordan
5 REPLIES
Brickinit
Grafter

RE: Problems and puzzles with installing a PCTV card

> Hoping someone can help with my puzzle.I bought a Pinnacle PCTV card last week,and trying to set it up is rapidly becoming a nightmare.According to "device manager" in Win98SE it installs ok and can find no conlicts,but when I try to run it:it stops with the warning "failed hardware initialization",and the reason given is that another application is using the PCTV drivers.This happens even though I have re-formated the HD,re-installed the OS and the PCTV card is the only one in the machine.However if I install differnt drivers and let it appear as "Conexant's BiPCI WDM video capture" it seems to work fine,using "Dscaler" to view the video which is inputed via the composite video from a rather elderly camcorder.which was one of the reasons for getting the card:to enable simple video editing,and perhaps to use the camera as a webcam.Which brings me to my second question,"Netmeeting" apparently does not work with WDM drivers.So is anyone anyone of an alternative to "Netmeeting",or a way to find some VFW drivers? So the bottom line is I have managed to get it to work as a video capture device,but am stuck at the conferencing stage.
>
> Any help or ideas would be much appreciated.
>

hi Ian/Linda
can't help you with your drivers but other programs you can use instead of Netmeeting are ICQ or even yahoo messanger which uses web-cam.
hope this helps

Malc

ps. both can be down loaded free of charge yahoo from www.yahoo.co.uk ICQ you can get from many places but www.cnet.com is as good as any

N/A

> hi Ian/Linda
> can't help you with your drivers but other programs you can use instead of Netmeeting are ICQ or even yahoo messanger which uses web-cam.
> hope this helps

Hi Malc

Thanks for the reply,I did manage to get a video onto Netmeeting once then everything locked up.So I am not able to try your suggested alternatives.I could go and buy another card but cannot be sure that I would have the same problems,a webcam would the easiest solution but then I lose the editing feature that I wanted the card for,which unless I nail the installation problem down I am somewhat reluctant to purchase a new card unless I could find one that is sure to work.Just as a matter of interest would I experience these problems if I went the USB route? and is it possable to put a USB 2.0 card into a machine that has 1.x USB?

Ian & Linda Jordan

Brickinit
Grafter

>
> Hi Malc
>
> Thanks for the reply,I did manage to get a video onto Netmeeting once then everything locked up.So I am not able to try your suggested alternatives.I could go and buy another card but cannot be sure that I would have the same problems,a webcam would the easiest solution but then I lose the editing feature that I wanted the card for,which unless I nail the installation problem down I am somewhat reluctant to purchase a new card unless I could find one that is sure to work.Just as a matter of interest would I experience these problems if I went the USB route? and is it possable to put a USB 2.0 card into a machine that has 1.x USB?

hi Ian & Linda
i think you might run into a problem with USB on a machine running win 98. i have just built a machine with USB 2 ports but it struggles a little bit running win ME. i have had a bit of feedback in as much as some people seem to think XP is really needed. the other thing is how much memory are you using i ask as using a video is very power hungry, you need loads of CPU power and loads of RAM.

malc

ps. sorry took so long to get back to you suffering lock-ups know it's down to graphics now

N/A

> ps. sorry took so long to get back to you suffering lock-ups know it's down to graphics now

No problems.I have sorted the problem out,quite strange really when the programme installed;for reason known only to itself twain drivers,and then complained that they were running,so I bit the bullet and deleted the folder it placed in c:\windows,and everthing worked.A factor not mentioned in the rather sparse instruction sheet,and something the support helpline knew nothing about.The only problem hen was finding an old version of Netmeeting as the current v3.01 does not work with the card but v2.11 does; which I find quite wierd really.But thanks for the feedback it is appreciated,and good luck sorting your problems out.

Ian & Linda Jordan

phillight
Grafter

Up until the latest release of the drivers I had problems with an error message saying the hardware is already in use. To use the TV I had to untick the 'start with windows' option in webtext, and reboot the computer.

However, the latest driver release has fixed that, and the WDM driver it uses works fine with netmeeting.

You can get the driver from ftp://ftp.pinnaclesys.de/driver/pc/beta/PCTV/PinnaclePCTVUpdate520.exe

Phil