cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem with Hyperlinking

N/A

Problem with Hyperlinking

(I have been told by PlusNet support that my page links on my webspace are NOT pointing to a HTML file, they are just pointing to a web folder.

All links need to point to a file of some discription not just a folder.)

Maybe someone can help me with this as PlusNet support do not wish to support me in this.

I am a complete beginner so please explain in lay mans terms. HELP!!!!!

Robert
3 REPLIES
N/A

RE: Problem with Hyperlinking

Your first page should be called index.htm
Any page you link to from that page should be the file name or full url.

So if you have a index.hm that will load on it sown when someone hits your page. If you have another page called hobby.htm then you would put a link on the first(index.htm) page to hobby.htm or http://www.yourdoaminname.plus.com/hobby.htm

Both of these will work make sure you get the right case for your file as Hobby.htm isnt the same as hobby.htm and it catchs most people out, most ftps let you force lowercase when you copy them.

You have to watch as some programs name the file on the local hard drive and when you uploa dit you can see it ok as it sees your hard drive but none else can

Jan
> (I have been told by PlusNet support that my page links on my webspace are NOT pointing to a HTML file, they are just pointing to a web folder.
>
> All links need to point to a file of some discription not just a folder.)
>
> Maybe someone can help me with this as PlusNet support do not wish to support me in this.
>
> I am a complete beginner so please explain in lay mans terms. HELP!!!!!
>
> Robert
>

N/A

> (I have been told by PlusNet support that my page links on my webspace are NOT pointing to a HTML file, they are just pointing to a web folder.
>
> All links need to point to a file of some discription not just a folder.)
>
> Maybe someone can help me with this as PlusNet support do not wish to support me in this.
>
> I am a complete beginner so please explain in lay mans terms. HELP!!!!!
>
> Robert
Hi Jan,

I got a long way to getting it right,last night,but now when I click on a live page and try to click on a page link to take me to another page it goes into an error page.any ideas?
>

N/A

can you email me with your site? jan@janwright.co.uk I will take a look. What are you creating your page with?

A lot of progs do put the links in as a file pointing to your hard disk if you not carefull

<p align="center"><a href="http://www.janwright.co.uk">Jan Wrights site</a></p>

This is how the code should look in htm if you copy this into a page in htm it should give a working link to my site.

confused:

> > (I have been told by PlusNet support that my page links on my webspace are NOT pointing to a HTML file, they are just pointing to a web folder.
> >
> > All links need to point to a file of some discription not just a folder.)
> >
> > Maybe someone can help me with this as PlusNet support do not wish to support me in this.
> >
> > I am a complete beginner so please explain in lay mans terms. HELP!!!!!
> >
> > Robert
> Hi Jan,
>
> I got a long way to getting it right,last night,but now when I click on a live page and try to click on a page link to take me to another page it goes into an error page.any ideas?
> >
>
>