cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Presentation of postings.

N/A

Presentation of postings.

Your thoughts and comments please if you agree with me or not on the following.

It saddens me to see how some of the postings in the forums are presented. It may be a reflection of the standard of education in this country but many are poorly written, without punctuation and the spelling is diabolical. I imagine that the admin at Plusnet have to grit their teeth when replying to some posts.
Here is an example,
"hi just bought xp home for pc but think ive lost cd key any one no how i can find it again
its the proper cd i wounder iff microsoft will charge me any idea?"

Punctuation, say no more, no capitals, lower case I instead of uppercase, and the spelling, sheesh!
wounder for wonder:
iff for if:
ive for I've
any one for anyone:
no for know:
i for I:

You may think I am moaning about nothing but if you want to get some good replies then you have to make your postings readable instead of a pain. I am not expecting people to write in perfect English, there may be some mistakes in this posting, but at least it is understandable. Over to you.
6 REPLIES
N/A

RE: Presentation of postings.

Eye agReE, the ehedukation is Not' whot it woz in my day. peopled who canrt speall should be horse whiped!

:naughty:
--
:bandit:
elton
Grafter

> Your thoughts and comments please if you agree with me or not on the following.
>

I agree with you entirely. But you're not supposed to make such comments. It's usually seen as elitist, snobbish, or sometimes even racist.
No, you're supposed to be able to decipher any seemingly random collection of characters into a meaningful English sentence. If it appears not be English at all, then you're meant to use a translator.

--
Skonko!
N/A

lol
Marwood
Dabbler

U r so lame, I r0x cuz I m 3l33t nd get mi warez and pr0n at hi speed on the web, lololol, rofl, u guyz r all n00bs! asl ne1?

...please note, the above is sarcasm.

I agree completely that just because somebody is writing a post on the internet there is no excuse for awful spelling mistakes and almost unreadable grammar.

Ok, so maybe we arent writing essays here and we arent scoring points on an essay writing test, but please, at least make posts legible.

And here ends my rant for the day!

A.
N/A

i don't write properly on the web much just because i'm lazy. how's this hurting anyone? I'm not confusing my web speak with my school work (like some stupid americans i read about). btw i'm american
N/A

> i don't write properly on the web much just because i'm lazy. how's this hurting anyone?

Talk about proving a point!
First of all this is not knocking you or anybody else. Everybody can and does make spelling and grammer mistakes. My English is far from perfect. My original post was mainly about making yourself understood. Read your first sentence to yourself slowly. Are you saying that there are also other reasons why you do not write properly on the web. If not, then the word "just" is not needed. Using it has made the meaning of the sentence unclear.
You ask "how's this hurting anyone?"
I would have to answer that it is hurting you. Being unclear and bad habits like using (i) instead of (I) and not using capitals at the start of a sentence could stick with you and let you down when you are applying for a job, or writing formal letters.
I asked for opinions on this subject, thank you and others for posting them.