cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Prague

N/A

Prague

I'm off to Prague in just over a week. Staying in the Mala Strana area Anyone been? looking for some nice off the beaten road eateries etc .
14 REPLIES
Liam
Grafter

Prague

No Comment.. Shockedops:

Seriously though... I've been 6 times.

I'll dig out some cool spots and let you know :-) Oh - and you'll love it!
N/A

Prague

Great and cheers Cheesy

Im going with the wife and my 10 year old alien. We love walking when we do these trips and have 4 nights to do what we can. Do you think £400 is enough for food museums etc .
N/A

Prague

This map is good, the x are restaurants bars etc .

>>HERE<<
fezzy2001uk
Grafter

cheapy cheap cheap

Great and cheers Cheesy

Im going with the wife and my 10 year old alien. We love walking when we do these trips and have 4 nights to do what we can. Do you think £400 is enough for food museums etc .

beer less than 50 p a pint a good meal £5 loads of things to do
its a great place..beware of the taxi's very expensive go for the ones with a meter they are a lot cheaper.have a great time wish i was going back
fez
N/A

Prague

Whats the temp over there ATM?

I went in Feb a few years ago, and it was -6 in the daytime.

(Not as cold as Budapest a few years later though)

The best way to see the city is on foot IMO, and don't be tempted by the hot wine in the main square!
N/A

Re: cheapy cheap cheap

Great and cheers Cheesy

beer less than 50 p a pint a good meal £5 loads of things to do
its a great place..beware of the taxi's very expensive go for the ones with a meter they are a lot cheaper.have a great time wish i was going back
fez

We plan on doing everything by foot and have already arranged transfers via www.alpharooms.com .
N/A

Prague

No Comment.. Shockedops:

Seriously though... I've been 6 times.

I'll dig out some cool spots and let you know :-) Oh - and you'll love it!

You dug them out yet ? im off on monday Wink
Liam
Grafter

Prague

Whoops... will do over weekend.
N/A

Prague

Cheers , ill copy them and print them off . Cheesy
Liam
Grafter

Prague

NB. These are my personal recommendations. This post is not work related ;-) (C'mon, it IS midnight!)

Whoops. I forgot about this and my head has been hurting all day so I've not been on the forums much. Will try and list down some good places now quickly!

Check out the following sights if you have time :

Make sure you buy yourself a little Map / Guidebook and check these out in there first.

- Old Town Square (including Powder Tower) (Staromestske Namesti)

- Astronomic Clock (side of Town Hall)

- Castle (this is a must!) - Watch the changing of the guards

- Wenceslas Square (Vaclavske Namesti)

- Metronome

- Charles Bridge (walk across it)

- Narodni Trida Metro Station (you have to check out the length of this escalator!)

- Jewish Quarter / Museum - Museum is expensive, but you'll get the idea just wondering around

- Parizska (Street) - All the designer and brand names shops are here - very upmarket - just off the old town square. There is also a VERY nice Ice cream shop here. Very posh though!)

- Observation Tower (Petrin Hill). Best view of Prague but a lot of steps to climb! And you have to pay (about £1).

- Museums. There are a few museums if you get bored. Do have to pay a small amount for them. National Museum is good if you're into that. National Technical Museum (just north of the river) is quite good if you like Planes, Motorbikes and Skodas!

U Vejvodu (Jilská 4) http://www.restauraceuvejvodu.cz/ - This place is great and you can leave your mark on the wall ;-) I have a few there. Food is a bit more pricey than some places - but very nice.

SKANSEN (Sokolovska 23, Prague Cool
Nice little local with a small but tasty local food menu. This place sells half a full roasted duck (with dumplings and veg) for about £2! The Bernard beer in this place is great! Try the dark stuff.
- Metro / Tram stop : Florenc

Rocky O'Reilleys (Štěpánská 32 - off Wenceslas Sq)
http://www.rockyoreillys.cz/ - OK. So why would you go to an Irish Pub in Prague? You think that, but these guys serve Guinness and English beers if you feel the need. They also serve a very nice, but bloody expensive in Prague terms (about £6) full Irish breakkie. Oh - and they have a webcam in the bar!
- Metro Stop : Muzeum / Mustek

U Ceskych Panu Restaurant (New Town - off Wenceslas Sq)
This place is awesome for fantastic Czech food. Make sure you book if you want to eat here, though! The dumplings are superb, and the steaks / grills are awesome. 3 Courses with drinks shouldn't cost you any more than a tenner.
- Metro Stop : Mustek

U Provaznice (Provaznicka 3)
Check out the Kozel dark in this place. Another nice little pub with some decent grub and great beer.
- Metro Stop : Mustek

Hubbub & Sons (Jakubska Cool
Great little boutique. And a fantastic slogan outside too : "An impulsive consumer is our best customer".

Tesco
Strange suggestion this. Me telling you to go to Tesco - but do check it out. It's a lot different to Tesco over here. For a start - they don't sell food (well, not much anyway).
- Metro Stop : Narodni Trida

F. R. ODKOLEK (There are a few - http://www.odkolek.cz/en/odkolek/prodejny/prodejny.php3)
- Great for a nice drink and a cake / crossaint etc... Very cheap.

Tips

- At the airport, assuming you're not hiring a car (ouch!), go to the Public Travel desk in the arrivals hall (has a red sign IIRC). Buy yourself a week travel pass. Costs about £6 and gives you all Busses / Trams and Metro in Prague. Metro is great. Make sure you don't get ripped off for a fake ticket - and don't get taken in by the Prague mafia that hover around the airport ;-) It's really easy, though, and transport is great. When you first use the ticket, you use the yellow machine on the train/bus/metro to 'stamp' a timestamp onto the ticket. That begins it's validity.

- Depending on where you are staying, Bus 119 (unless they've changed it) will take you from the airport, to Dejvicka Metro station at the end of the Green line. From here you can Metro right into the City Centre. This is dead easy, and included i your travel ticket. Taxi's are expensive, as is the CEDAZ transport.

- Walk around! When I first went to Prague I travelled everywhere by Metro, without realising how close stuff was. For example, you can walk from Wenceslas Square to the Old Town Square in around 5-10minutes... and theres some nice shops etc... on the way.

- Be aware of pickpockets / scams - Keep your wits about you!

- DON'T TAKE A TAXI FROM THE STREET - If you need one, make sure your hotel calls one for you or you WILL get ripped off and/or robbed :-)

- Enjoy it! Because I'm soooo jealous!
N/A

Prague

Thanks for doing that and you did it just in time, I'm flying in a few hours Cheesy

I am going to print this off and take it with me . When i get back ill be posting my pics Cheesy
Community Veteran

Prague

NB. These are my personal recommendations. This post is not work related ;-) (C'mon, it IS midnight!)

When are PN setting up a Prague office then? Tongue

*hides*
N/A

Prague

What can i say about prague breathtaking. The scenery food and people are great. There was a few exceptions tho, the lady in the hotel who said this is not a bank to my wife, when she asked them if they change the Krone to sterling . I took her to task tho, and said your a bank tho when it comes to changing sterling in to krone. A simple no we don't do that will do. Plus the older generation are a bit on the grumpy side , I get the feeling they were occupied by the Nazis then the Communists and now the tourists. Plus we noticed they have a major dog poo on pavement problem , they really need to sort that one out .

All in all tho this was the best city break iv ever had. The food was great and we never ate in a duff place. The best was this Czech pub and restaurant. Knuckle of pork with sauerkraut and we had dumplings etc . We went to this place twice. Pics are in the gallery, its the place with the accordion player. We walked most of the time and only took the tram once, that was to catch a bus to a town called >>LIDICE<<, (pronounced Lee Dee Za).

We could not believe how cheap it was, we were eating in restaurants twice a day and the average price for the three of us with beer and soft drinks was £15. Found a pub selling pilsner for 52p a a large glass .

Anyways here are the pictures, there's a lot cos we did a lot of walking. We walked around five hours a day .

http://www.dustysworld.net/photogallery/PragueFeb2007/index.html
fezzy2001uk
Grafter

Prague

great photos
reminds me of our visit boo hoo i want to go back NOW ..
thanks for sharing your pics

fezzy