cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Port scanned by DNS IP ??

N/A

I have been getting norton internet security alerts informing me that IP 212.159.13.49 has scanned me for open ports it happenes a few times then they get put in the auto block secition.
Why are they scanning me for open ports?
4 REPLIES
N/A

212.159.13.49 is a Force9 ADSL DNS Server and you don't want to auto block it or block it at all.

It's not scanning for ports, it's your firewall not set to allow DNS.
N/A

DNS communicating

Hello rnbyrne,

Yes! firewall logs can be quite confusing at times and its a question of being able to tell when pinging and such like is for a legitimate or real reason's and when its malicious or debious on the other hand, sometimes its very hard to know either way.

However in this case your machine states the IP addresss and this has been confirmed above as an F9 DNS server. Your machine is sending packets of data requesting a DNS name or IP resolution (website name or domain name to an IP address) i.e. outbound communications with the F9 server in question and your firewall is detecting the DNS servers response which is legitimate and so this reply would provide your web browser with the IP address of the site or a site you wanted to view. This process happens all the time and for this reason its important to allow inbound and outbound requests through your firewall otherwise you will be blocking your web browser from working correctly.

Ivan Cool
N/A

thanks for the replys, it only happenes when i use a certain application wich has a specifed port for FTP but i guess all is well
thanks
N/A

It's probably because the access rights within your firewall are not quite setup correctly for this FTP program.

However the knock on effect will mean that while your firewall is blocking this IP address, you could get problems since you machine will only be using one DNS server.

Aaron