cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Poor download speeds from Usenet compared with Web access

N/A

Has anyone else seen a major reduction in download speeds from Newsgroups in the last few weeks.

I have a 2mb link and find that in the early hours I get close to the full 2mbits/sec from both Usenet and Web downloads, but in the evenings these rates drop to typically 600 to 1000 kbits per sec on web access, but only 150 to 300 kbits per sec for Usenet access.

I am aware that contention is 50:1 at the BT exchange, and the general reduction in speed is almost certainly due to this, and therefore outside F9's control - but my main gripe is why Usenet is so much more affected than Web access, and I suspect this is affected by F9's management of the bandwidth..

I am aware that there have been problems with F9's own Newsserver recently, but I subscribe to Giganews because of the better retention and completness they offer.So that's not the reason.

I have raised a ticket on this, but have not received a sensible explanation. The latest response was

"In answer to your questions, your contention on the Plusnet Network on the Broadband Premier product is 30:1, we do apply traffic profiling to prioritise certain types of traffic against others. Usenet traffic would have a lower priority than email and webpages, and you would show a slight slowdown at peak times. This slowdown shouldn't be a major performance impact but you're also experiencing general slowdowns on your line with contention. "

In my opinion only getting 1/3 to 1/4 of the speed over Usenet that I get with Web access is not just a "slight slowdown" and I do regard this as a "major performance impact".

I never had this problem until a few weeks ago. Is anyone else getting the same problem?
9 REPLIES
N/A

I've seen a slowdown over the last couple of weeks. I use usenetserver and astraweb news servers. (Gave up on F9's ages ago)
I've had my 2mb upgrade for about 6 weeks now. Was initially much quicker, now everything seems to drag over the last few weeks. Its now about a third of the speed it was when I was at 1mb. Even overnight its slow. I was happier with my connection before the upgrades, however I imagine the slowdown is due to F9 prioritising traffic.
Since joining F9, this is the first time i've been unhappy with the service. I pay for the Homeworker package which is quite pricey, so was expecting a reliable service without the throttled connections. Maybe time to check out the competition........
N/A

Usenet is being drastically throttled, especiallly if you use a third party server. CS keep going on about "Gold, Silver and Bronze" (which are not terms I have seen in any official terms and conditions) which they use to prioritise. Usenet is currently in Bronze, so anything after 4pm you will be suffering time outs, delays, incompleteness, etc.

In addition to this, F9 are going to be introducing a 15GB cap on usenet, so if you use binary groups it wil soon eat up your allowance. It is my understanding that all newsgroups on the F9 server will be moved to the Silver queue for the first 15GB, anything over that will see you dropped back to Bronze. Third party binary groups will remain in Bronze and third party text only will be moved to the silver queue.

There is much discussion, annoyance, shouting, swearing, etc on this issue in the plusnet newsgroup at plusnet.service,customer-feedback (if you can get a decent connection).

Regards

Mark
N/A

the other big problem with F9 Usenet is that stuff only usually stays active for 2 days.

i think they should increase it to a minimum of a week before they remove posts, especially if they are throttling the service, causing downloads to take longer.

regards
mike
N/A

<REMOVED>
N/A

<REMOVED>
N/A

A few more weeks of aggravation yet!! Taken from +Net newsgroup:

The work that we are doing on Usenet is going to take a couple of weeks before it's fully rolled out, I don't have a final rollout date set but we are looking at end of October/beginning of November to have all the work completed, tested and rolled out.

Mark
N/A

I feel throttling of certain traffic is having a greater impact than the capping had. As I never reached anyway near my download limit, I was happy with my service and the caps would not require me to change the way I used the web. (Although I am against the idea of capping but thought F9's limits were generous compared with other ISP's)
With the new throttling of P2P or News access, I am affected immediatly in what I do, even when I have downloaded or want to download very little. Because of the severe restrictions placed on certain types of traffic, I could never get near my capped quota that was going to be intraduced. Im sure F9 realised when they scrapped the forced Capping (because of the amount of complaints by customers), they could achieve the same by limiting what a person can download in 24hrs. Almost the same effect, except we now have severe performance issues when using particular services.
On the bright side, this throttling is taking me back to the old 8bit days. I open a news group then go have my dinner, watch some TV etc while the headers download at 10kb/s. Just like in the 8 bit days when you had your tea while a game was loading off cassette on your C64 or speccy. :-)
N/A

Hi

davejackie - I sympathise with you.

See dvjver post above yours.

When I came to plusnet/f9 I was happy with the overaul speed now it is terrible.

At 17.05 hrs today it was 423kb - on Friday at 00.02hrs it was 721kb

I feel I am just not getting the service I am paying for. I moved here from AOL and because they were so large they just didn't listen to their customers.

It was very refreshing to get on board with plusnet/f9 over a year ago but now that they have got a lot of new customers on board I just hope that they are not going down the same avenue.

I still can't understand why they won't raise an issue with BT.

Good luck
N/A

Because there is no issue with BT, this is purely PlusNet giving us super-low priority for our traffic.

Personally I think its insane. The PlusNet news server doesnt have a high enough retention to be usable with this capping. Oh and it IS capping, you can say priority as much as you want but the speed doesnt get any faster off-peak so it MUST be capped - otherwise it should return to normal in the early morning.