cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Poor Performance......

N/A

Poor Performance......

hi, ive been using ADSL from F9 for some time now and ive seen the service speeds "yo yo" up and down. I mean really the UK is in the DSL age now and i would expect F9, an expierienced ISP to provide a nice smooth steady speed not "some times good, sometimes bad" kinda thing. I've been with many other ISPs that provide ADSL and yes i know they all have there fair share of poor performances etc but with F9 its an almost all the time. I was wondering if others are feeling the same way about the poor performance that i am and if there are others of you, then what does F9 plan to do about it?Huh
6 REPLIES
N/A

RE: Poor Performance......

Well I've been with F9 since they started under the new name from Force9 when it was purely business orientated.

I find that.. ok F9 have their problems.. but most are resolved quite quickly.

With regards to ADSL all providers are having a shaky time with this newish technology. I am just pleased that it is relatively easy getting through to F9 and we are kept up to date on status of problems.

Plus the service speeds are up to scratch now, and they've at least tried to solve the problem themselves instead of sittin on their arses waiting for BT to wake up.

Weighing it all up im happy with the service from F9, even though there is some room for improvements.
N/A

I've been with F9 on dialup for about 2 years now, didn't have many problems there, just the odd DNS outage, portal outage. The normal stuff you get from a major ISP. The fun started when I asked for ADSL. The only problem I got from F9 was the web-upgrade option (upgrade your account), it did funny things to my account details and had to be resolved by the Networking Team. Apart from that I've had no further problems in relation to F9, all of my self-install problems have been from BT. These range from post-code debates (as to where I live) right the way through to where someone had 'forgot' to connect my new line on the BT telegraph pole. Through the whole thing, F9 have kept me informed as to the status of the problem with BT, they couldn't have done more than they have. Now I have a nice, smooth DSL connection. Okay, it's early days and I don't doubt it'll "yo-yo", I'm prepared for that. It's new technology, what do you expect? Like a new OS (I work in Tech Support), I still have to learn that new OS and I may get things wrong. Personally I think they're doing a top job. One thing though, what kind of throughput is everyone getting on DSL?
I'm getting around 45-55KB/sec which is better than my 56K modem but I am wondering if I can squeeze more performance out of my line... anyone know of any good ways or programs that'll help me do this?

Cheers.

> Well I've been with F9 since they started under the new name from Force9 when it was purely business orientated.
>
> I find that.. ok F9 have their problems.. but most are resolved quite quickly.
>
> With regards to ADSL all providers are having a shaky time with this newish technology. I am just pleased that it is relatively easy getting through to F9 and we are kept up to date on status of problems.
>
> Plus the service speeds are up to scratch now, and they've at least tried to solve the problem themselves instead of sittin on their arses waiting for BT to wake up.
>
> Weighing it all up im happy with the service from F9, even though there is some room for improvements.

N/A

I reply to the last person, What made you aware that someone had forgotten to connect your line on the telegraph pole? What trouble did you have that that made you realise this and how long did it take to get sorted? I ask this because I am suspecting the same thing has happened to me.

> I've been with F9 on dialup for about 2 years now, didn't have many problems there, just the odd DNS outage, portal outage. The normal stuff you get from a major ISP. The fun started when I asked for ADSL. The only problem I got from F9 was the web-upgrade option (upgrade your account), it did funny things to my account details and had to be resolved by the Networking Team. Apart from that I've had no further problems in relation to F9, all of my self-install problems have been from BT. These range from post-code debates (as to where I live) right the way through to where someone had 'forgot' to connect my new line on the BT telegraph pole. Through the whole thing, F9 have kept me informed as to the status of the problem with BT, they couldn't have done more than they have. Now I have a nice, smooth DSL connection. Okay, it's early days and I don't doubt it'll "yo-yo", I'm prepared for that. It's new technology, what do you expect? Like a new OS (I work in Tech Support), I still have to learn that new OS and I may get things wrong. Personally I think they're doing a top job. One thing though, what kind of throughput is everyone getting on DSL?
> I'm getting around 45-55KB/sec which is better than my 56K modem but I am wondering if I can squeeze more performance out of my line... anyone know of any good ways or programs that'll help me do this?
>
> Cheers.
>
> > Well I've been with F9 since they started under the new name from Force9 when it was purely business orientated.
> >
> > I find that.. ok F9 have their problems.. but most are resolved quite quickly.
> >
> > With regards to ADSL all providers are having a shaky time with this newish technology. I am just pleased that it is relatively easy getting through to F9 and we are kept up to date on status of problems.
> >
> > Plus the service speeds are up to scratch now, and they've at least tried to solve the problem themselves instead of sittin on their arses waiting for BT to wake up.
> >
> > Weighing it all up im happy with the service from F9, even though there is some room for improvements.
>
>

--
N/A

I knew it was this when the BT engineer I saw told me that's what the problem was. You see my line was a shared line, which as we know won't work with DSL. BT apparently seperated it so it was it's own line (as a normal line would be). However they didn't connect it to the new circuit, hence, no DSL or phone at all. It took far too long to get sorted out, the phone was off for like 4 days but the DSL has only just worked. My advice to you is to contact F9, get them to chase BT up about this. It will take time but eventually BT will sort it out in one way or another. Hopefully this will work out for you as it did for me. Now I got DSL and it's mighty fast.

What makes you think you may have the same problem, what are the symptoms?

> I reply to the last person, What made you aware that someone had forgotten to connect your line on the telegraph pole? What trouble did you have that that made you realise this and how long did it take to get sorted? I ask this because I am suspecting the same thing has happened to me.
>
> > I've been with F9 on dialup for about 2 years now, didn't have many problems there, just the odd DNS outage, portal outage. The normal stuff you get from a major ISP. The fun started when I asked for ADSL. The only problem I got from F9 was the web-upgrade option (upgrade your account), it did funny things to my account details and had to be resolved by the Networking Team. Apart from that I've had no further problems in relation to F9, all of my self-install problems have been from BT. These range from post-code debates (as to where I live) right the way through to where someone had 'forgot' to connect my new line on the BT telegraph pole. Through the whole thing, F9 have kept me informed as to the status of the problem with BT, they couldn't have done more than they have. Now I have a nice, smooth DSL connection. Okay, it's early days and I don't doubt it'll "yo-yo", I'm prepared for that. It's new technology, what do you expect? Like a new OS (I work in Tech Support), I still have to learn that new OS and I may get things wrong. Personally I think they're doing a top job. One thing though, what kind of throughput is everyone getting on DSL?
> > I'm getting around 45-55KB/sec which is better than my 56K modem but I am wondering if I can squeeze more performance out of my line... anyone know of any good ways or programs that'll help me do this?
> >
> > Cheers.
> >
> > > Well I've been with F9 since they started under the new name from Force9 when it was purely business orientated.
> > >
> > > I find that.. ok F9 have their problems.. but most are resolved quite quickly.
> > >
> > > With regards to ADSL all providers are having a shaky time with this newish technology. I am just pleased that it is relatively easy getting through to F9 and we are kept up to date on status of problems.
> > >
> > > Plus the service speeds are up to scratch now, and they've at least tried to solve the problem themselves instead of sittin on their arses waiting for BT to wake up.
> > >
> > > Weighing it all up im happy with the service from F9, even though there is some room for improvements.
> >
> >
>
>
>
> --
>

N/A

The symptons I have are that the Modem I am using won't dial-up to any to log in using my details or any of the test details at all.

> I knew it was this when the BT engineer I saw told me that's what the problem was. You see my line was a shared line, which as we know won't work with DSL. BT apparently seperated it so it was it's own line (as a normal line would be). However they didn't connect it to the new circuit, hence, no DSL or phone at all. It took far too long to get sorted out, the phone was off for like 4 days but the DSL has only just worked. My advice to you is to contact F9, get them to chase BT up about this. It will take time but eventually BT will sort it out in one way or another. Hopefully this will work out for you as it did for me. Now I got DSL and it's mighty fast.
>
> What makes you think you may have the same problem, what are the symptoms?
>
> > I reply to the last person, What made you aware that someone had forgotten to connect your line on the telegraph pole? What trouble did you have that that made you realise this and how long did it take to get sorted? I ask this because I am suspecting the same thing has happened to me.
> >
> > > I've been with F9 on dialup for about 2 years now, didn't have many problems there, just the odd DNS outage, portal outage. The normal stuff you get from a major ISP. The fun started when I asked for ADSL. The only problem I got from F9 was the web-upgrade option (upgrade your account), it did funny things to my account details and had to be resolved by the Networking Team. Apart from that I've had no further problems in relation to F9, all of my self-install problems have been from BT. These range from post-code debates (as to where I live) right the way through to where someone had 'forgot' to connect my new line on the BT telegraph pole. Through the whole thing, F9 have kept me informed as to the status of the problem with BT, they couldn't have done more than they have. Now I have a nice, smooth DSL connection. Okay, it's early days and I don't doubt it'll "yo-yo", I'm prepared for that. It's new technology, what do you expect? Like a new OS (I work in Tech Support), I still have to learn that new OS and I may get things wrong. Personally I think they're doing a top job. One thing though, what kind of throughput is everyone getting on DSL?
> > > I'm getting around 45-55KB/sec which is better than my 56K modem but I am wondering if I can squeeze more performance out of my line... anyone know of any good ways or programs that'll help me do this?
> > >
> > > Cheers.
> > >
> > > > Well I've been with F9 since they started under the new name from Force9 when it was purely business orientated.
> > > >
> > > > I find that.. ok F9 have their problems.. but most are resolved quite quickly.
> > > >
> > > > With regards to ADSL all providers are having a shaky time with this newish technology. I am just pleased that it is relatively easy getting through to F9 and we are kept up to date on status of problems.
> > > >
> > > > Plus the service speeds are up to scratch now, and they've at least tried to solve the problem themselves instead of sittin on their arses waiting for BT to wake up.
> > > >
> > > > Weighing it all up im happy with the service from F9, even though there is some room for improvements.
> > >
> > >
> >
> >
> >
> > --
> >
>
>

N/A

That's a little vague, what modem do you have? What error(s) does your modem software or Dial-Up Networking report? If it won't even login to the BT test site then it does sound horribly familiar. Before you go to F9, do the following (if poss) :
1 - Try different splitters (if you're using them)
2 - Reinstall your modem drivers
Completely REMOVE the ADSL modem
software/drivers and then reinstall as if
it was all new.
3 - Try different RJ11 cable if you can.
The cable that runs from your ADSL modem to
your phone socket, see if you can try a
different one.

If none of the above make any difference then contact F9's support and inform them that your ADSL isn't working. Be sure to tell them that you've reinstalled modem drivers, tested splitters etc... see if you can fill out an ADSL fault report (which then gets sent via F9 to BT).

BE SURE YOU TEST ALL OF THE ABOVE BEFORE ASKING FOR AN ADSL FAULT REPORT.

The steps above are the same steps I went through to have my problem finally resolved.
One last thing though, is be patient. It's not easy, I know, I've been there. But the rewards when it works will be far worth the wait and frustration. If you need any help with this then you can contact me here and/or you can talk to F9.

I'd like to stress though that I DO NOT work for either F9 or BT, so all I can offer is guidance on where to go for help and how to get it resolved, I can't unfortunately fix it for you Sad

Hope that all works out.

> The symptons I have are that the Modem I am using won't dial-up to any to log in using my details or any of the test details at all.
>
> > I knew it was this when the BT engineer I saw told me that's what the problem was. You see my line was a shared line, which as we know won't work with DSL. BT apparently seperated it so it was it's own line (as a normal line would be). However they didn't connect it to the new circuit, hence, no DSL or phone at all. It took far too long to get sorted out, the phone was off for like 4 days but the DSL has only just worked. My advice to you is to contact F9, get them to chase BT up about this. It will take time but eventually BT will sort it out in one way or another. Hopefully this will work out for you as it did for me. Now I got DSL and it's mighty fast.
> >
> > What makes you think you may have the same problem, what are the symptoms?
> >
> > > I reply to the last person, What made you aware that someone had forgotten to connect your line on the telegraph pole? What trouble did you have that that made you realise this and how long did it take to get sorted? I ask this because I am suspecting the same thing has happened to me.
> > >
> > > > I've been with F9 on dialup for about 2 years now, didn't have many problems there, just the odd DNS outage, portal outage. The normal stuff you get from a major ISP. The fun started when I asked for ADSL. The only problem I got from F9 was the web-upgrade option (upgrade your account), it did funny things to my account details and had to be resolved by the Networking Team. Apart from that I've had no further problems in relation to F9, all of my self-install problems have been from BT. These range from post-code debates (as to where I live) right the way through to where someone had 'forgot' to connect my new line on the BT telegraph pole. Through the whole thing, F9 have kept me informed as to the status of the problem with BT, they couldn't have done more than they have. Now I have a nice, smooth DSL connection. Okay, it's early days and I don't doubt it'll "yo-yo", I'm prepared for that. It's new technology, what do you expect? Like a new OS (I work in Tech Support), I still have to learn that new OS and I may get things wrong. Personally I think they're doing a top job. One thing though, what kind of throughput is everyone getting on DSL?
> > > > I'm getting around 45-55KB/sec which is better than my 56K modem but I am wondering if I can squeeze more performance out of my line... anyone know of any good ways or programs that'll help me do this?
> > > >
> > > > Cheers.
> > > >
> > > > > Well I've been with F9 since they started under the new name from Force9 when it was purely business orientated.
> > > > >
> > > > > I find that.. ok F9 have their problems.. but most are resolved quite quickly.
> > > > >
> > > > > With regards to ADSL all providers are having a shaky time with this newish technology. I am just pleased that it is relatively easy getting through to F9 and we are kept up to date on status of problems.
> > > > >
> > > > > Plus the service speeds are up to scratch now, and they've at least tried to solve the problem themselves instead of sittin on their arses waiting for BT to wake up.
> > > > >
> > > > > Weighing it all up im happy with the service from F9, even though there is some room for improvements.
> > > >
> > > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > > --
> > >
> >
> >
>
>