cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Poll - Creating a poll? - New to CGI/ASP/CGI

N/A

Hi,
Not sure if anyone here can tell me about making a poll for a webpage, not sure if it is possible for me to do on force9, and the other question i have, is can i make a page whereby people are able to upload small files to, or i am able to for example, just wondered, and a page to display these, i know it might sound rather ambicious but just something i would like to try out reall, prob not able to do it on f9 servers or something i know when i was trying the upload stuff it said function POST cannot be used for the URL or something.

Please let me know if any of you have any suggestions, or can help me with this one, Smiley

Also not sure if asp will work on force 9, prob need this mysql to do all these things never used that so will prob need some form of training or somethin for it, but still all sounds pretty interesting to me.
12 REPLIES
N/A

Re: Poll - Creating a poll? - New to CGI/ASP/CGI

Hi,
Not sure if anyone here can tell me about making a poll for a webpage, not sure if it is possible for me to do on force9, and the other question i have, is can i make a page whereby people are able to upload small files to, or i am able to for example, just wondered, and a page to display these, i know it might sound rather ambicious but just something i would like to try out reall, prob not able to do it on f9 servers or something i know when i was trying the upload stuff it said function POST cannot be used for the URL or something.

There are many poll scripts available for download, most work with SSI which F9 supports. Some of the script sites to look at are http://www.cgi-index.com/Perl/, http://cgi.resourceindex.com/Programs_and_Scripts/Perl/ & http://www.cgi-world.com/. The only place I have found a file upload programme is at http://www.spads.com/.

Also not sure if asp will work on force 9, prob need this mysql to do all these things never used that so will prob need some form of training or somethin for it, but still all sounds pretty interesting to me.

ASP is not available with F9 although MYSQL is.

Regards

Mark
N/A

Hi, i downloaded a script for a poll, at cgiworld.com i have uploaded the two cgi scripts to my cgi-bin, and i seem to be able to access them, and i have put the required html files there also in the folder that came with the .zip, this is only a demo version, but not sure i keep getting internal server error, i can access one of the cgi files through the browser if i put a .cgi? at the end of the file, if i just have file.cgi it attempts to download the file? not sure what to do about the internal file error http://cgi.rogerdean.force9.co.uk/cgi-bin/Poll_It_v2.05.cgi? anyways not sure if anyone or you there mark have any ideas, i am new to all this scripting language, but would like to learn more so i can put a poll or several on some of my pages if that is atall possible, bot sure if the script will stop working though after a certain time though, presume there is no time limitation, although i am not 100% sure
N/A

I have been to http://cgi.rogerdean.force9.co.uk/cgi-bin/Poll_It_v2.05.cgi and I got a page which states there is no poll available not an error page so something must be right Smiley Probably also best to change the name of the file to something like poll.cgi or poll.pl, but you may need to change some of the coding within the script so it knows what to look for.

How are you going to run the poll? Calling the script directly like that is not such a good idea, but I have downloaded the programme and it is available to embed into a shtml page with SSI.

Regards

Mark
N/A

Me again. I have just downloaded the script and put it on the server myself at http://cgi.didit.force9.co.uk/cgi-bin/Poll.cgi and got it working. If you'll pardon me, I had a look at the admin side of yours too (as per the readme file) as you haven't changed the password in the script Sad . All seems to be working fine, you just need to input a vote to see how it works. Make sure though that you have chmoded all the files correctly and uploaded the cgi files and txt files in ascii.

HTH

Mark
N/A

what do i need to modify in the admin file the password, no that is ok with looking into it, just would like to get the think to work on a webpage, sort ofthing, so that the poll is embedded in a page, and then when people vote i can have it pop up with a window with the results in is my plan at the moment.
Thing is if i change the names of the file then i have to go through all the other files to get them all to go there and not 100% sure of the coding just yet, so changing things like password etc.. are a little complex at the mo but i will catch on shortly, but yeah putting it in a shtml file is what it was saying in one of the read me files, there should be a page where through my brower i can add a poll, but it appears that it isn't working at present or i do not know ho to get to the admin file just yet
N/A

not 100% sure about the SHTML part yet, and the coding to get the image to work in the bar on the vote thing, the bar that tellsthe number of votes.
N/A

Not sure what has happened i renamed it to poll.cgi but i am unable to get to the file, and the permissions are ok, also, when i was logged in earlier on, i was unable to add a poll which was strange...
N/A

they are all forbidden now hehe, all good fun this will have to have a dabblw with this a bit more i think...
N/A

It's still there. http://cgi.rogerdean.force9.co.uk/cgi-bin/Poll.cgi

To change the password, look for this path $admin_password = "**********"; in poll.cgi. It is towards the top of the script. Put your new password where the stars are and upload.

Mark
N/A

Yeah well it is still there, i have today discovered that the problem is the following. There appears to be a problem in the creat new poll html possibly, basically when i go to the admin section, and log in i can add a new "Add Another Poll Option - (Type In Below)" and i can expire it, or delete it, but i am unable to gte things to write to the old poll file, and i am unable to write to the poll info text i have checked all thier pemissions you know the 666 for all the .txt files in the Pollit_files folder but still nothing happens when i have filled in the details on the new poll it fails, and also when i have put a "poll option" on there through the add a new one feature in the admin section, i am unable to vote for it, not sure if this may be something i have done, but i re-uploaded the original scripts so password now is the default password, but just cannot get around to putting a poll on there which is rather annoying hehe. as afterall it is a polling script and using the same servers, just must come down the the script unless i amnot uploading them correctly or something
N/A

As well as chmoding the files, did you chmod the pollit_files folder too? My folder for these files is currently "living" within the cgi-bin if that's any use to you.

Mark
N/A

what do you mean by living, so i have Cmoded the files in the pollit_files folder, but i havn't clicked on the folder itself, but not sure what you mean that you have changed the folder name? not suere if i do that nothing will load up though if i cnage that i think, as everything refers to pollit_files i think, if not then i will change that i will give it a try, as i said in the reply above i cannot add a new poll, which is most confusing, as nothing is different between the scrip that runs your way and the one i am running here unless something in the coding is different that i need to change.i can do some things in the admin and they work ok, just the adding a poll, and actually voting that do not work which does restrict the poll a little bit lol Smiley