cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Polish?!?!

Community Veteran

Polish?!?!

A short while ago I was browsing PN's community site, and I came across this blog post. When I read it I really thought it was a joke at first, until I clicked the link in the article and discovered it wasn't. So what I'm wondering is, what do people think of this move? In my opinion, it's a poor decision: whilst I have no problem with foreigners in this country (indeed, Polish people seem to be harder working than we Brits), providing some of the website/support in Polish suggests to me that England is slowly becoming a Polish nation! Surely doing this kind of thing just encourages immigrants to stick to their own language rather than learning English, which will ultimately further segregate society. I'm all for having a multitude of cultures present in the country, but it really annoys me when that's at the expense of lessening the importance of England's own identity - of which I consider the English language to be one of the most important aspects. (Which is why I hate it when British people using American spellings of English words... and I absolutely despise it when Americans dare call their language 'English' and our language 'British English'!!)

I hope I haven't offended anyone with this post; as I say, it's not that I don't like foreign people living in this country. I'm just frustrated with the way multiculturalism is being dealt with - not specifically by PlusNet, but by the whole country in general. Maybe that's just because I live in a not particularly pleasant part of London where there are a lot of immigrants - a number of whom are probably illegal. Just trying to get a hair cut is difficult: I once asked for a six on top, and I nearly got spikes instead. Or trying to get a bus pass - don't ever try and ask for one that doesn't start the day you're buying it! Sigh.

Ok, sorry... rant over.
18 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Polish?!?!

http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php?board=20.0

Looks like we are going to have to change the forum rules too.

Chilly
Community Veteran

Polish?!?!

Yeah... that forum's just another example of segregating foreigners away from the English language and English people.
N/A

Re: Polish?!?!

I'm all for having a multitude of cultures present in the country, but it really annoys me when that's at the expense of lessening the importance of England's own identity - of which I consider the English language to be one of the most important aspects. (Which is why I hate it when British people using American spellings of English words... and I absolutely despise it when Americans dare call their language 'English' and our language 'British English'!!)

You already know I'm absolutely 100 percent with you on this point.

My bold

Ok, sorry... rant over.

No need for sorry; it's a free country and free speech is a fundamental part of it.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Polish?!?!

http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php?board=20.0

Looks like we are going to have to change the forum rules too.

Looks that way. Have only just started looking at the new Community site.

If we are going to have multiple languages, I do think we should have a completely separate set of boards not have them as different forums within the same board.

I would find this difficult to use, and that's nothing specific about Polish - the same would apply to any other foreign language. I don't find it easy to sift through things I understand amongst things I don't!

And even if certain forums were designated for specific languages, I find it hard to believe that postings will always be placed in the correct one. That's going to be interesting, the mods have move posts in wholly English forums to the more applicable one - how will that work if it's in a foreign language?
Liam
Grafter

Polish?!?!

Morning all,

As some of you may know, we have some really good Polish developers and web designers working with us at PlusNet and this is something that some of those guys whipped up in a few days with a lot of their own spare time.

It's a bit of an experiment, to be honest. There is already a massive Polish-speaking community in most UK areas and this is serving them and allowing them to communicate with their friends and family back at home where previously they may have felt secluded and isolated. No other ISP is reaching out to these communities.

At the end of the day, having this kind of thing available isn't going to persuade someone who doesn't speak our language to not learn. Those that don't want to learn English, simply won't. I'd like to think, too, that most foreigners who come here would like to at least learn some of our language. In fact, I think that by allowing our Polish residents to setup an internet connection in Polish, gives them access to a massive resource allowing them to start to learn English.

Cheers,
Liam
Liam
Grafter

Polish?!?!

... and with regards to the Polish forums. We'll be looking after them. Our Polish-speaking staff will be monitoring them and answering any queries.

I don't see it being likely that Polish queries will end up in the wrong forum and vice-versa.
Community Veteran

Polish?!?!

Will PlusNet be offering Polish speaking telephone tech support as well?

Chilly
Liam
Grafter

Polish?!?!

We have one Polish-speaking CSC Analyst right now and support will be offered between 5pm - 8pm to Polish-speaking customers by calling the number on the PlusNet PL site.

Obviously, if it takes off, we'll extend this and recruit more as well as making other areas of the Portal, Help & Support etc... available with a Polish translation too.
chymorva
Grafter

Polish?!?!

Hmm..... let's see how this could have happened..... Wink

Letter from MD to managers:
"... we need a bit more polish in the CSC area ..."

Follow-on letter from manager to CSC:
"... we need a bit more Polish in the CSC area ..."

CSC then set about creating community site in Polish just because someone mistakenly used a capital 'P'. :lol:
Mand
Grafter

Polish?!?!

LOL, only couple of flaws in your theory are that the CSC aren't responsible for the portal content (the portal team are) and no-one sends letters or memo's internally (we'd be in trouble if we did).
Community Veteran

Polish?!?!

plus.net may also be considering the implications of becoming an international supplier, in which case, the more non-english language speakers the better.

take time out to visit pclinuxos.com where you will find the international section periodically adding another language as they are lobbied for.

sure, it helps if immigrants are encouraged to learn english, but while they are doing so, they can 'dual-boot' with their own language when convenient.

it's what we do with xp while we learn linux.
N/A

Polish?!?!

why is the site not available in the languages of other EU members ?
Word_Warrior
Grafter

More translations please

Can someone provide a translator for my overseas banking call centre please. :lol:
N/A

Polish?!?!

WHAT!! :roll: