Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pointing my Domain name to my cgi

pops1000uk
Grafter

Hi
IS it possible to point my www.domain.co.uk to my http://ccgi.domain/force9.co.uk using DNS??

I dont fully understand it

Thanks
9 REPLIES
N/A

yep, just send a ticket to support who will add your domain to be recognised by the new CGI server, but you need to add a DNS record to the Domain name first -

go into your domain settings, and click manage DNS records. Add a record that reads (from fields left to right, 4 in total):

www | CNAME | LeaveBlank | ccgi.force9.net.

make sure you put the full stop at the end of ccgi.force9.net. Hit add. If you have one there already for www from before, then you need to go back into the DNS records and remove the old one. Change domain hosting options to 'other' (if not already set) and dont forget to press submit when you are done to save the changes!

Then raise a ticket! (the ticket should have the above instructions on too).

Hope that helps,

Jarv
pops1000uk
Grafter

cheers,

I have domains hosted with 123-reg, can I still set dns from these domains to f9s cgi servers?
N/A

ah no you cant do that yet.

How many domains do you have hosted by F9? If you have less than the max allowed (without being charged its 5 for premier, 3 for payg, 1 for plus - see here) then you can move DNS control to force9 (this will move your emails to go to your F9 account too) while still leaving the payments for the domain with 123-reg. You need to change the parimary & secondary name servers for your domain to ns1.force9.net and ns2.force9.net respectively (dont know how to do this on 123-reg!). You do NOT want the ISPtag changing, so do not use any transfer options!

Once you have one this leave it 24 hours to propagate to the whois database (check it using the whois query by entering yourdomain.co.uk here. Once the name servers show force9 you can raise a ticket with support asking them to host your domain - you should find it under technical support > domain names > Transfering an existing domain name in to host on my account > and it is a DNS only transfer for a .uk domain name (if its a co.uk name!! Smiley).

I have three domain names hosted this way and it works extremely well.

Hope that helps

Jarv
pops1000uk
Grafter

yea i have one hosted domain with f9, so i just leave the domain with 123-reg and change dns to f9
pops1000uk
Grafter

So once this is done then what?Huh
N/A

once that is all done you can do my original post, but its going to take a couple of days before you can do that I think (due to the propagation stuff).
pops1000uk
Grafter

Thanks 4 help one last question

How do i point my new domain to a directory inside my CCGI webspace. Currently when i type www.domain.co.uk it goes to the root of the cgi site

Any ideas?Huh
N/A

You can't, easily at the moment. There's a hacky workaround documented in this thread though.
pops1000uk
Grafter

now i cant receive my emails ?? Also my PHPBB Board wont send emails either anyideas?Huh