Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pointing domain to new web address

N/A

Hi.

I'm a bit of a novice at this.

F9 say go to the domains section then click on the name I want to change. Only one name show - www.stereocatbabies.co.uk and it is not 'clickable.'

However, I stumbled over this which suggests I have 3 domains?

[color=orange]The following domains are hosted on your Force9 account. Choose a domain from the list below and enter your username and password in the popup window that appears. For more information on the graphs and statistics, please see below.
www.dougiec.force9.co.uk
fp.dougiec.f9.co.uk
www.stereocatbabies.co.uk
[/color]

I want to point the www.dougiec.force9.co.uk to www.thespacials.com which is my new site.

Can someone help?

Thanks

Dougie
6 REPLIES
N/A

Did you purchase all of your domains through F9? If not, it would be a simple thing to change the nameservers of the domain you wish to point elsewhere to the new nameservers. i.e. I buy a domain at 123 for example, which has nameservers of ns.123-reg.co.uk and ns2.123-reg.co.uk which point to the 123 hosting server. My site space is held at 34sp, therefore I cahange the nameservers from 123 to ns.34sp.com and ns2.34sp.com.

After the DNS has refreshed, my domain resolves to my new webspace.

HTH

Mark
N/A

Thanks for coming back on this didit.

I'm still a wee bit puzzled though.

Basically I have a websit called www.stereocatbabies.co.uk. This was my old band. I now have a new band and would like to put up a site for them - www.thespacials.com. I would however like to keep the babies site alive.

My F9 account allows me three domains with a max of 250 mb. All I am trying to do is have two bands sites hosted by F9:
www.stereocatbabies.co.uk
www.thespacials.co.uk

Do I need to register the spacials and how do I configure my settings to facilitate all this?

I've tried following F9s help pages but to no avail.

Many thanks.
N/A

You will need to register thespacials.co.uk. It would be better for you to buy it from somewhere like 123 (http://www.123-reg.co.uk, if you want to use my affiliate id, that would be good too AF151296 Cheesy ) . Domains from them are under £6.00 for two years. Once you have purchased the domain you can arrange for F9 to host the name (allow 123 to remain tag holder though) and change the nameservers to ns1.force9.net and ns2.force9.net. This way you keep the cheap renewals but your site lives on the F9 webspace. If you are placing the site on the homepages, you can specify which directory you want the domain to resolve to, although this isn't possible for the ccgi server.

Cheers

Mark
N/A

This sounds good Mark, if still a bit techy. What are the references to tags and affiliates. How much web space do 123 give?

Thanks.

Dougie
N/A

You purchase the domain name from 123, they then become the tag holders. These are the people you pay your renewal fees to when the domain becomes due in 2 years. Ypu will still only pay about £6 and not the large charges levied by some ISP's!!

123 do not provide the webspace, although they can at a fee and they are not the cheapest by far. Once you have purchased the domain name you will get access to a control panel where you control your domain. You can either choose to re- direct the domain to your F9 webspace which will place the site in a frame, or you can change the nameservers so it looks just as it would if you had the domain hosted with F9.

When/ if you decide to move your hosting away from F9, you can then either change the re- direct or the nameservers again. This way there is no need to worry about having to transfer out domains and pay ther exorbitant fees some ISP's levy and the change is almost instant.

Regards

Mark
N/A

Excellent and most informative, Mark.

I'll go ahead with this and keep you posted.

Thanks.

Dougie