cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pobably it can't be done but just wondering

N/A

Hi All

Thinking of getting Sky+ in a month or two, and was just wondering in a flight of fancy....... if given that it seems to be a storage device like a hard disk (and am theorizing here) would it be possable to transfer the information to a computer.

Silly idea perhaps as I no nothing about how Sky+ works........ but thought I'd ask :-)

Ian & Linda Jordan
10 REPLIES
N/A

You can yes, but the data would be useless.

Tivo can be connected and watched on a normal computer, as it uses Analogue to Digital conversion, and uses MPEG files from memory.

However, Sky+ usesan ingenius anti-theft system, which is a subsystem of the way digital stelite works.

First, the digital stream is seperated into the seperate channel streams. Sky+ then records the single digital stream for the one channel you are watching.

When you play the channel back, it uses the decoder and your sky card, to display the picture, as if watching it live.

As a result, the stream remains encrypted, and can't be watched without the sky card and internal decoder. Also, if you record a program, and you cancel the channel from the Sky package, that recording becomes useless. Again, because your Sky card isn't set to watch that channel any longer.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Get a PC TV card, the aerial plugs in to it and that records the program via some capture software or direct to a video record / camcorder if the TV card can output the signal as well.
Unvalued customer since 2001 funding cheap internet for others / DSL/Fibre house move 24 month regrade from 8th May 2017
N/A

Thanks acarr

I think you explained what could have been an extremely complicated thing; very well indeed......... even I understood it :-)

Thank you

Ian & Linda Jordan
N/A

Ta Smiley

Comes from having access to Tivo for 4 years. Unfortunatly, I don't have one, but my brother does. I fancied having a look to see what exactly could be done.

BSkyB run the Tivo service for the UK. Ultimatly, they used it to get a good insight into making there own Sky+ service.

There ability to work in pure digital (received in digital, and never converted), means they can build the security into it, before it even departs the ground, destined for the heavens.
N/A

Hi adp450

Thanks for the reply, but I am not really that concerned about it: it was just some idle musing over breakfast when I said to Linda "I wonder if it possable to transfer stuff from the Sky+ box to a computer?".She replied "Why don't you give Sky a ring?" I think they call that feminine logic :-) so I said to her "no good ringing them; but I know a group that in all probability will know the answer as to if it can be done or not....... and if it can't the reason why".Sure enough the Plusnet users have'nt let me down :-)

Ian & Linda Jordan
N/A

I was under the impression, that there is an output port on the Sky + Box to connect up a DVD Recorder. A friend on mine has a Sky+ Box and was told by Sky that he could do this.

I don't know whether you can record everything off to DVD or whether some items can and some can't.

Aaron
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

well I know it works as theres a Sky user that streams his digital channels sometimes via his Blueyonder cable on winamp. So if he can stream it then the program is capturable if you have the correct hardware/sotware
Unvalued customer since 2001 funding cheap internet for others / DSL/Fibre house move 24 month regrade from 8th May 2017
N/A

Cable is different.

It isn't subject to the same technology at Digital Satelite decoding.
N/A

what about routing the scart output on the sky box that would go to the TV to the computer?

Craig
N/A

Because Macrovision causes a bad quality recording.