cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plustalk and PPC's

Community Veteran

Plustalk and PPC's

Can't see anything wrong with using your PPC, VoIP is quite a big thing on PPCs, you should be able to find several VoIP clients available for the platform. A greater concern though might be battery life; I imagine making a VoIP call over WiFi would put quite a strain on the battery, as WiFi tends to use quite a lot of power on PDAs as it is.

Thomas
16 REPLIES
N/A

Plustalk and PPC's

Ok as a mod I should know better and place this in the plustalk forum. However I feel this has a certain "General Chat" about it and so I feel this is a better suited home.

With the very much mentioned Plustalk credits given out by Plusnet for you to use as you wish I am beginning to wonder on how to put this to use if at all.
I have been looking for a wireless or cordless phone device to use with voip but never really liked any solutions I have come across.

However I am beginning to sway a little with my recent find. This solution seems to allow me to make use of Plustalk whilst not needing to purchase any further hardware.

Has anyone used such an option before? I have my trusty xda2s all I would need is this software.

So what do we all think? Is there a chance it could work very well? lol.

Regards,
N/A

Plustalk and PPC's

Thomas,

Indeed. What I have found with mine ( as im sure is generic for all ) is that I am given a choice for performance or battery life. Mine is permanently set to preserving battery life and have managed to use it none stop for between 4 - 6 hours on the net over wifi.

The idea would mainly be for me to use it at home, in which case I would have the cradle and charger close by anyway, but yes I do think I would look at investing in another battery.

Thomas could you suggest some clients as apposed to counterpath at all? I am mainly looking at it being good at performing and also stability ( as stable as it could get being based on windows lol ).

Regards,
Community Veteran

Plustalk and PPC's

I'm afraid I can't offer any client recommendations myself, as I'm mainly a Palm OS person (although I have dabbled my toes in the PPC world a couple of times). Good sites to check though would be www.handango.com and www.pocketgear.com for the software, and www.pocketpcthoughts.com for reviews and forums, which will no doubt include some VoIP discussions somewhere.

Thomas
N/A

Plustalk and PPC's

Sorry I can't help with PocketPC clients, but I've used VoIP (and other things like streaming audio and chat) around the house with my Linux PDA and it works pretty well (with, as mentioned, the battery life caveats). I'm looking forward to being able to use this for some landline calls with PlusTalk, although I think it will be more of a novelty than a fully functioning useful solution at this stage.
shellsong
Grafter

Plustalk and PPC's

What Linux PDA would that be?
N/A

Plustalk and PPC's

Linux PDA? I have to admit this is a new one on me.

I was looking at using voip on the PDA/PPC ( Which ever you wanna class the O2 XDA2s as ) because along side sipgate and plustalk it would make for an enormouse saving.

Just think £1 for unlimited gprs bw usage in a day + £5.60 from sipgate for 1000 minutes of calls to landlines.

I dont even have to use gprs when im at home, so the saving would be even greater.

Regards,
LiamM
Grafter

Plustalk and PPC's

Not sure it would work so well over GPRS though. At best it's less than 50k connection speed. Thats less than a PC dialup connection, and it's extremely high latency.
N/A

Plustalk and PPC's

Actually,

Yer you have a very good point there Liam, as I would imagine it is more aimed at 3G users especially with the connetion speeds they are trailing over on the Isle of Wight atm. 1.5mb connection or something on your pda or phone :p
N/A

Plustalk and PPC's

What Linux PDA would that be?

Sharp Zaurus (the 5000D, which is a little long in the tooth, but still a nice little bit of kit). Here's a LinuxDevices article on the 5500 which was the commercial version of the 5000D. There are newer moldes, but they've haven't been distributing them outside of Japan unfortunately.
shellsong
Grafter

Plustalk and PPC's

Ah, right! My son's got the SL-C3000 although I guess that's a bit more than a PDA-- I'd say part way between a PDA and a sort of micro notebook! It's an exquisite piece of engineering that makes most other devices look clunky and clumsy in comparison
Community Veteran

Plustalk and PPC's

With apologies to Tom for taking this thread a little OT, how'd your son get hold of one of those Shellsong? Only place I know is Dynamism, but they're very expensive, as they have to convert the OS to English etc. IIRC... I've often wondered if one of those Sharp clamshells would be the perfect device for me.

Anyway, Tom - yes, GPRS wouldn't be able to hold up (the best speeds you can get in the UK are 4 channels - 38400bps, IIRC) - but EDGE, UMTS etc. would support fine I should think. Besides, if it's just for home, as you can say, you can use the WiFi, as long as you're happy with the drain on the battery.

Thomas
N/A

Plustalk and PPC's

NP Thomas,

Everyone has to go OT a little sometimes.

I think I will test a suitable VoIP client on the PPC before making any rash decisions.
shellsong
Grafter

Plustalk and PPC's

I hope folk won't mind me going somewhat OT about the Zaurus while I try to give kuglin and anyone else interested what little info I have.

My son bought his Zaurus SL-C3000 via ShirtPocket.co.uk in the early part of 2005. They import and modify to order to provide an english version and were slow and difficult to pin down over delivery although the little beauty turned up eventually after a couple of months wait!

While he was waiting we found out that there was a setup in Germany www.trisoft.de who could also provide an english modded C3000 and they were allegedly quicker and more reliable than ShirtPocket (apparently they also send you a video of your own Zaurus being prepared!)

Both companies are still involved in obtaining and modding Zauruses although according to www.trisoft.de C3000s and C3100s are not available at the moment but the C3200 is expected imminently and this is essentially a C3000 with a 6GB hard drive in place of the 4GB one Wink Edit: It looks as though the C3200 is a C3100 with a 6GB hard drive-- in other words 128MB of flash memory rather than 16Mb of flash + 64MB SD card!

I hope this is helpful, Gerry
N/A

Plustalk and PPC's

I've heard of lots of problems with shirtpocket from people within the Zaurus community so wouldn't recommend using them for any hardware or software purchase.