cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnetters

LiamM
Grafter

Plusnetters

You may remember a while back I mentioned that I was working on a behind the scenes, unofficial User Group type thing.

Well, I've just setup the forum, and rest of the main site is due to follow within the next week.

Looking for suggestions, ideas and whatnot. I have a few things planned for the main site... but as I'm still developing it, I'm open to any comments or suggestions.

Quite possibly I am wasting my time.... but hey.... I have a lot of time these days.

http://www.plusnetters.co.uk
114 REPLIES
N/A

Plusnetters

Signed up and posted already!

Comment: At first sight the site seems a friendly sort of place.
LiamM
Grafter

Plusnetters

Thanks....
Community Veteran

Plusnetters

I like the skin. Signed up as dmcgiff.
Denzil
Grafter

Plusnetters

Forgive me if its a silly question, but what is the reasoning behind duplicating the forums? Users can use the existing forums quite freely to praise, complain, seek advice, chat etc. What is the benefit in having another site? :?
Community Veteran

Plusnetters

Hang on while I find the link for you. A few weeks ago there was a big uproar about having a jokes forum and debate about the usergroup. In the end it was decided that a jokes forum could be set up on a seperate site not affiliated with PN if you can bear it the thread will explain better.
Community Veteran

Plusnetters

N/A

Plusnetters

So why do we need your forum AND Liam's?
Community Veteran

Plusnetters

My thoughts exactly. These sorts of things detract from the idea of having an easy to use forum where everything is searchable from.

The actual usergroup is a lot more than just a forum and a few people discussing things, its about having direct links and meetings with people in plusnet to openly discuss products, problems and other things.

The one thing I can say is I like the colour scheme.

Chris
N/A

Plusnetters

signed up as garfield!!
N/A

Plusnetters

My thoughts exactly. These sorts of things detract from the idea of having an easy to use forum where everything is searchable from.

I agree Chris and made my views known in the original thread. I have however offered my support to Liam with his new site. Perhaps a statement of purpose / aims from Liam might help.

One thing which did disappoint me about the original thread, was the fact that despite being read by many if not all of the active members of the user group, they did not feel the need to contribute or allay the concerns of those that posted. Perhaps they felt it unnecessary to update the thread or perhaps the fact that it was off topic meant they were unable to reply.

Whilst I cant see Liams forum ever being an alternative to either the UG or these forums, it cant do any harm and if it does good, then thats a bonus.

With regard the current User Group, and subject to the constraints of other commitments, I would love to see an update as to what they are doing at the minute, where they see the group going in the future and what if any progress has been made with the interactive side of the UG site.

As I said in a previous thread, I appreciate the difficulties currently facing the group and the difficulties with demands on their time, but I have and will continue to give them whatever support I can.
LiamM
Grafter

Plusnetters

The actual usergroup is a lot more than just a forum and a few people discussing things, its about having direct links and meetings with people in plusnet to openly discuss products, problems and other things.

The one thing I can say is I like the colour scheme.

Chris

I'm sorry if I have offended, and if you feel strongly about it, I will remove it.

Fact of the matter is... it's going to be a complete Plusnet portal, unofficial, with a forum built on. The forum will by no means be the most important part, it's just that I've set it up and started tinkering with it already, so I posted it here.

I'm going to be inviting people to post content, tutorials etc.... much more openly than the UG and Usertools do at present. Unlike the UG and UT sites, this site will be as much the members' website as it is my website.
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 5

Plusnetters

Looking good Liam. I've signed up as Phil. I'm a software engineer, so if there is any way I can help please let me know.

Phil
Community Veteran

Plusnetters

So why do we need your forum AND Liam's?

My forum was setup as a temporary measure for those who wanted a jokes forum with little delay. I am considering taking it down as Liam's is far better. So no we don't need my forum and Liam's and I don't belive I ever said that.
Community Veteran

Plusnetters

I'm sorry if I have offended, and if you feel strongly about it, I will remove it.

I'm not offended, but it does bother me when people think the usergroup is just a discussion forum or email list.

Fact of the matter is... it's going to be a complete Plusnet portal, unofficial, with a forum built on. The forum will by no means be the most important part, it's just that I've set it up and started tinkering with it already, so I posted it here.

I can see the need for something, its just the way its been done, exactly the same as the other unoffical website. The usergroup and usertools is built based on cooperation and member interaction, no one person decided on the layout or format and alot of thought went into things before anything was created.

I'm going to be inviting people to post content, tutorials etc.... much more openly than the UG and Usertools do at present. Unlike the UG and UT sites, this site will be as much the members' website as it is my website.

The tutorials team on this forum are screaming out for people to join and contribute tutorials, why have yet more in a niche location that no-one other than your members will know about.

I like some of the ideas of what you have done but not the way you've done it and to be honest Liam it suprises me.

Chris