cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet/Force9/FreeOnline Merger?

N/A

Not sure if this is the best forum, but I wondered what users thought of a merger between the 3 vISPs.

There are several disadvantages to a move in this direction.

Usernames.
Current Products and services.
Merging the Forums.

But it would give several advantages over having 3 seperate vISP's..

Deployment of new products and services.
One website to service ALL users.
Staff would have less work to do, in terms of forums.
More users to help newbies in the forums.
One ISP could report one set of results, and gain ISP awards.

Craig
12 REPLIES
N/A

I voted no. The technical aspects are outweight the gains to be made in my eyes.

As for the "One ISP could report one set of results". PlusNet, the parent company already do this.
Metalguru
Grafter

IMHO ...........

Economies of scale are almost always off set ..................
by Customer Services ......... Going Straight Down The Pan !
N/A

I have just remembered one other thing that pretty much negates some of the gains.

PlusNet already run the backend for a few other VISPs, so the mergers of their own two smaller brands, into the larger one, does little other than inconveiniance users with changes already noted.
N/A

But when Plus.Net win an award, is this for Plus.net as a vISP or Plus.net PLC?

Is it just single vISP performance or general performance all over?

And i think that LloydsTSB actually get their broadband services through PN and their same customer services.

So one major ISP could then supply all the smaller vISPs.

There are advantages, but also disadvantages.

I don't know if PN have ever looked into merging their main 3 services of PN, F9 or FO.

Craig
Community Veteran

I don't know if PN have ever looked into merging their main 3 services of PN, F9 or FO.

Yes they did (the Usergroup asked something similar a while ago - see http://usergroup.plus.net/issues/nettechDec04.php and Are separate vISP necessary at the end) and the work involved negated any benefit it would make due to the large developments required and the inconvenience of those vISPs that changed..

Pretty much all the PN/F9/FO vISPs are treated the same and have a common web code base and infrastructure. Also the 3 vISPs actuallt target different groups of customers - i.e. F9 is geared towards gamers, PN is their mainstream ISP and FO is err, just a different colour scheam Wink
N/A

F9 is geared towards gamers, PN is their mainstream ISP and FO is err, just a different colour scheam

Scheme* Tongue

I wonder what the user stats are for all vISPs that connect through PN PLC, including normal PN, FO and F9.

Craig
N/A

How do you mean user stats?
N/A

When Plusnet states they have 100,000 users, do they mean just for PN, or is this all vISP's, or just the major 3?

Also, when Plusnet win an award, is it Plusnet Technologies, or is it vISP PN?

Yes, merging would be a very long, costly, and frustrating procedure, but could provide one platform for PlusNet to have a whole host of other vISPs.

Craig.
csogilvie
Grafter

The platform already exists I believe, since there are other VISPs not included in this poll. Stats like "100,000 customers" will be across all the brands, as its the customers of PlusNet PLC.

Free-Online was originally meant to rival Freeserve from memory (and used to have another alias as well).
Community Veteran

IDPS - I dont pay subscription was the other alias. Many people didnt like looking like cheapskates with the word free in thier email address so you could have a username.idps.co.uk email address instead, it masked over the existing ones so no change was needed from the customer or PlusNet.

Chris
LiamM
Grafter

When I first got the internet a long long time ago I signed up for dialup with Free-Online. I used the idps email address. I only realised recently that it was Plusnet in disguise. Coincidentally, this was after I signed up to my ADSL service.
Metalguru
Grafter

Hmmmmmmmmm

Makes you wonder who else PlusNet are also disguised as.

Tiscali Huh? Surely Not !!!