cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please read and offer me an answer!!!

N/A

I have been with F9 for a year now, and although the service has been ok, i feel there is more than enough room for improvement.

I have a tip top PC and by that i mean XP3200 processor, 2gig Mem, 256 FX5200 Graphics Card etc, and yet i feel that the overall speed and service offered by F9 is quite poor.

Let me expand........My Father has broadband with Pipex, similar setup to F9 ie same contention ration same speed etc and yet even though his PC is quite considerably slower his broadband speed is immense compared to F9....this raises the question of "Are we getting what we are paying forHuh?"

This note is not meant to be cinecester but when i signed up to F9 i did my research to ensure that the ISP i chose was the best option, but clearly it's not, since then i have compared my speedwith other ISP's and to be honest i feel slightly ripped off.

Does anyone else feel the same or am i just being over critical??

Let me know

Shaun

P.S The newsgroups are still absolutly crap!

[Moderator's note (by csogilvie): Please do not use all capitals titles; it is consider rude.]
15 REPLIES
N/A

Re: PLEASE READ AND OFFER ME AN ANSWER!!

Does anyone else feel the same or am i just being over critical?Huh

I have been with F9 for ages now, although only on ADSL for just under 1 year. I was told by BT that I could not get ADSL because I was too far from the exchange and the noise level was too high. Between F9 and myself, we managed to "force" BT to provide me with 512k ADSL. Whenever I try a speed test, 9/10 times my results are above 550kbps and a majority show over 600!! I am happy with the speed I get, although I only have my mate on NTL to compare with Smiley

Mark
N/A

Mark,

Perhaps you are right but i have no such problems with the exchange.

I am definantly wanting to take 1 meg but need to be re-assured that F9 is the way forward.

I do like F9 in many respects one of which is the fact that they constantly strive to improve, however there is quite a big difference in trying and suceeding.

As im sure you are aware that these days speed and service is everything, and before i take the next "leap" i need to be sure that im getting the best deal for my hard earned cash!!

Shaun
N/A

Replying

Hello Shaun,

To be completely honest with you I do think you are being overly critical about the F9 service. Yes! I too have a very high specification DELL workstation with a high quality graphics card etc. But the specification of your computer doesnt actually have that much of a bearing on the perceived performance of the internet when you use it.

Look I can tell you that I have been with force9 for five years now and I started off with a basic account and dialup 56K modem web access. I waited over two years to finally get ADSL 512K and I've seen F9 make huge changes and enormous developments in their network, scaling it up and adding much better network equipment too improve the service in advance of broadband services coming online. If you look at the F9 network now I think its quite impressive frankly, how many other ISP's actually do have x6 155megabyte data pipes with BT, thats alot of customer bandwidth.

The perceived speed of your BB connection is subject to a wide number of variable factors such as contention ratio,size of your connection/account i.e. 512k or 1MB, the size and quality of your ISP's network and kit i.e. size of data pipes, how far you are personally from your local BT ADSL enabled exchange, wheather conditions locally & solar wind conditions (no! dont laugh its true!!), the amount of traffic on the web and the packet loss levels, how many routers or networks your request for data pass through (i.e. hops) the time of day, oh! and finally the type of computer you are using. All these factors influence to a greater or lesser degree the experience you have of using the internet.

You can proove how good or bad your ADSL connections performance is by testing it at one of the many test websites that are avialable.

**Web conditions change all the time, when conditions are good ADSL Can be even faster than the stated speeds but if traffic conditions are poor then things can slow way down. On balance I find with 512K ADSL performance is generally pretty good with F9 I have few complaints personally & No!! I dont feel ripped off at all. I feel F9 are a very competent ISP which is why I wouldnt now move else where, its also why I recommended F9 to a friend recently who has just taken up an account with F9. Well thats my experience, Best Regards Ivan

Cool
N/A

Further thought See CIP

Hi Shaun,

Heres another idea to contemplate I use a little freeware program called CIP which is a hostfile manager, this significantly speeds up your online experience, see enclosed details for you to have a look at. I highly recommend this little tool to you.

CIP is a HOSTS file manager. that allows you to add frequently visited pages to your HOSTS file to spped up your browsing (a little) by eliminating the need for frequent DNS queries. CIP resides on your taskbar for easy access. It it will find the hosts file in use by your system and open it automatically if it`s there. CIP displays four fields in its list view: URL, Description (hidden by default), IP (filled in by CIP), and Verified (when CIP was last able to identify the IP as current and correct).

URL http://www.snapfiles.com/get/cipfree.html

or

http://www.webattack.com/freeware/misctools/fwspeed.shtml

Ivan
N/A

I agree with cytek that f9 are a very good ISP.

I have had a few problems recently but that I believe is down to my line where it disconnects every 5 minutes on occassions but at other times stays connected for ages. I don't think this is a fault of F9 but with either my line or the exchange.

I too was refused ADSL when first came out, but have not been with F9 ADSL since october last year, but been with F9 well before that on dialup - My connections are usually good with an average download speed of around 57k and I use a network at home, which currently has 3 pc's connected to the internet at the same time.

As with any other company F9 are continuously improving, but yes there maybe hickups along the way and some customers may not be happy. These are usually the ones who complain because service etc is bad, but when it comes to upgrading they complain again because there service is being interupted and so. And guaranteed they'll complain again once new features are added saying we don't like this or that and want it putting back to how it was...
N/A

Hello and Thank you to everyone who has replied to my post.

I think ur all right i am just been over critical, and overall they are a good ISP and competitive on price.

I will see what things are like on 1 meg.

Cheers guys i feel loads better now ive had a good whinge.

Shaun
N/A

Winge Mode

Hello Again,

Frankly its nice to hear someone winge and moan and then own up too doing just that, and then feel much better once they've said their peace. I get very frustrated with some F9 users who frankly are never satisfied with what they have even if its pretty good. They always seem to find something to complain about even if its not entirely justified, i.e. winging and winging and more winging which is NOT constructive for anyone involved. I can accept someone having a good winge and moan (God knows I do enough myself too) and then feeling better and then taking postive action afterwards, OK fair enough but winging for winging sakes please,please just give it a rest. :roll:

Ivan
David_W
Rising Star

Hi, I've been with Force9 now for a few years, my criteria for joining were not about speed or anything (I was on 56k) but was based on..

excellent webspace provisions (php/mysql etc..)
good value unmetered internet access (friaco)
direct debit payments <- most important that one

I found the F9 unmetered to be good, though starting out on the lowest package i eventually ended up on the 2nd highest business package because I spent so much time online Shockedops:

Then along came broadband to my part of the world, and I jumped at the chance to get it, after all that waiting and looking at the BT Meter to see it reach 400, then it did and I had no hesitation in using F9 broadband.

That was 1 year 5 days ago, my contract expired with F9 on the 8th and I'm in the process of leaving F9's 512k service, for their 1MB service Cheesy

Speeds at 512 are very good, average 65kps, and even though my exchange has an amber light due to something to do with load or something, my speed is still averaging 65kps, so I expect 130kps from 1MB or I'll cry.

My system isnt all that hot either, 2200+, 768MB Ram and a GeForce4, though I'd dump the USB modem you get straight away, go for PCI or a router Wink
N/A

Well Guys,

I have taken on board everything you have said, and have now placed an order for my 1 meg service.

Thank you for helping me make the right decision!!!

I just hope things continue to get better! (especially the newsgroups)

Shaun
okmbok
Grafter

Speed issue

Well I only get 460-480kbps.

Im not sure if i change isp it will get any better either?
N/A

Changing ISP

Hi,

You can change ISP as much as you like away from F9 but I think you will find that the vast majority of the core service's wont be much different from F9. Technical Support services may well be many times worse and in a few rare cases it might be slightly better than F9 but I woulndt hold your breath on that one.

The reason I say this is because BT is still the major telecomm's infra structure providor in the UK. Its still BT who provide the major data pipes, copper cabling and fiber connections. So most ISP's buy or provide ADSL via BT so thats why unless you go to a company such as Planet ISP who provide services to business and have their own extremely impressive telecoms links to the USA and Europe, but who are well NOT exactly cheap then for most domestic users no matter which ISP you sign up with the core services wont vary hugely.

Obviously the costs & terms & conditions will vary for better or worse. This is the main reason I have remained with F9 for so long and why when others say such and such ISP is the best thing since slided bread I such smile or nod agreably and make no comment (unless asked). I've seen numerious friends move ISP many times and each time its the same story some part of the service or package wasnt any good or did'nt deliver so I think you could do alot worse than F9 honest!! (no its not a sales pitch its just my own experience).

Ivan :lol:
N/A

Dumb question here but I was just wondering what the main reasons were for all those above me here who said that they are upgrading to 1Mb package. I'd love to personally but I always ask myself...Is the service I have now really in need for an improvement?

Oh and i'm all for an unlimited £19,99 / month BB package
David_W
Rising Star

My reason for upgrading to 1MB is that I download a lot of large files, I'm playing with Linux distributions at the moment, so 3-4 CD's to download per distro means it takes about 9 hours to download at 512k.

I also like to play games, so downloading patches will be a lot quicker, and playing with trial MMORPG's means I'll be able to download the clients quicker.

Its also the fact that for the past year I've been paying £29 p/m for 512k access, now my year is up, I pay £1 more a month for twice the speed, without any noticable dent in my wallet, its a win/win situation, though I could have knocked a few quid off and stayed with 512k on one of the new packages though.
N/A

i want to try for 1mb when changes to 6km in september mainly cos I've got a small network at home - i play online games - and do downloads - while my wife like to just browse the net and stream radio and video down - an extra £5 pm for 1mb is worth paying for in my opinion...