cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plauged by Mail Failure Notices?

N/A

Hello,

Anyone else swamped with E-Mail Failure Notices? in the last 48hrs or is it just me?? :roll:

Ivan
32 REPLIES
N/A

Not only you, I am also being swamped with them as well. Any ideas on how to stop them please.

Jack
N/A

Hello Jack,

Phew!! glad its NOT just me then!!, I have no idea how to stop them because who ever is generating them is quite clever. Why? because to any spam or anti-virus service (like the one's here at F9) these are seen as legitimate mail so they are allowed to pass through the filtering service.

See they appear legit because they dont have viral attachments or they would have been caute, they're not detected as spam (even though they are really) because a returned to sender or failure notice could potentially be seen as normal or legit.

The problem is that the software cannot tell the difference between a genuine failed email "I myself" sent and the massive number which arent legit, so now you can begin to understand how difficult or near impossible it is too stop these things, very very annoying to say the least. The spammers have found a loop hole in the genuine internet mail system and are trying to exploit it.

Ivan
N/A

Hi Ivan
I could stop them by not using postmaster as they all come through that account and then request f9 to clear them out when the box gets full.

Is yours only from the postmaster account? I received 12 this morning.

Can f9 do anything do you think to stop this or find where they are coming from.

Has any one else got this problem.

Jack
N/A

Hi - I have the same problem - to two seperate accounts - it's a complete pain. How is it happening?
Surely Force 9 can do something about it?

Dave
N/A

Hi

I have just put a ticket in to f9 as it is getting worse and will let you know the response.

Jack
N/A

Hi guys,

No! the problem is a difficult one as the spam I'm getting comes in the guise of legitimate email failure notices (or return to sender this email address or person doesnt exsist). But basically its just spam just trying to hide as something else.

As these are failure notices or return to sender notices they look completely legitimate and so the F9 spam or anti virus filtering systems wont catch these.

**The spammer is very clever as they appear to have exploited a hole in the internet email system and there doesnt seem much anyone can do to stop this, well atleast I cannot see how its possible to prevent them.

Ivan
N/A

Unfortunately this is coming from outside of our network (Outside the EU apparently)

This is the reply and the solution is "we can open the black hole for you" I have requested this so no more spam e-mails. Good luck with all your spam e-mails.

Jack
N/A

Hi guys,

I just had a brief reply for F9 techies who say this problem is being caused by the latest mass-mailer virus thats doing the rounds. Well that atleast clarifies it abit more. **Although no solution was offered apart from blackholing which isnt something I really want too do right now.

Ivan
N/A

Hi - can someone explain 'blackholing' please?

Dave
N/A

Hi Dave

From what I can gather f9 will just delete everything that comes into the main account as long as you have other e-mail addresses set up so they can contact you. In other words they just open the bottom up of your mailbox and everything falls through it into a black hole never to be seen again.

Well that is my interpretation of the black hole.

Jack
N/A

Hello Dave,

Here's my understanding of the Blackholing process. If you think its worth while to do this then you can instruct F9 support to blackhole any email address. What does this involve? well you have to setup a new or a number of new email boxes & email address to start with.

Then your primary email address is then blackholed and by that I mean any emails sent to your default email address are then re-directed into a special email address that F9 have setup specially.

The blackhole voids anything sent to it (never to return, sent to anyother universe presumably?!?!). So any spam, junk or viruses are blackholed and the legitimate emails are sent only to the new email address's you've told or given to other people. So the spammers stuff gets voided & the stuff you want is received as before to your new address/s.

Ivan
N/A

For what its worth, I use SpamPal and OutlookExpress 6.0.

I started receiving failure notices over the Easter weekend, but with SpamPal it was quite easy to set it up so that all my email contacts in outlook are allowed through straight away (whitelist) and anything else gets 'tagged' with the text **SPAM** in the subject header.

In outlook you can then easily set up a mail filter to move all the mails containing **SPAM** to a folder of your choice (could be spam like me, or even your deleted folder I guess).

I do it this way because I like the flexibility of being able to use ANY email address for my domain but cannot afford to miss emails - its easy to check the spam folder from time to time to see if any real emails are present.

C.
PS Its worked a dream since the weekend
N/A

Hi datafuse,

Thanks for that but you clearly havent read the previous postings. This problem isnt about conventional spam, its NOT as simple as your pointing out.
The mail failure notices might not be spam and could be quite legitimate but the vast majority of these failure notices are spam generated by the latest mass mailer worm infection thats doing the rounds across the internet.

Sorry! but message rules wont deal with this problem as I said before it isnt that simple. Also just to point out that as mail failure notices could be quite legitimate F9's spam filtering system doesnt catch them or see them as spam and thats the nob of the problem here.

Ivan
astarsolutions
Grafter

In outlook you can then easily set up a mail filter to move all the mails containing **SPAM** to a folder of your choice (could be spam like me, or even your deleted folder I guess).

You can use a filter to remove all the NDR's, you would loose the important ones but if you are getting a lot it might be worth it.

A long term solution is not to post your e-mail address on any websites or at the bottom of any e-mails, I usually use something like arthur [at] assys.net

Also make sure friends and family who have you e-mail address in their contact list have some common sense i.e. don't open attachments containing viruses.

If you do this then all you have to worry about is spammers guessing your address.