cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phone call - number withheld

N/A

Hi
Anyone else having problems with "the call centre" phone calls, phone rings, you answer, no reply for several seconds, then its "can I speak to".
Its another of those calls, always number withheld. How do you stop it, BT promote a service that costs £4 per month.

Would like to hear from anyone, who is having same problem, or has managed to stop them

Any offers :?: Cry
19 REPLIES
Community Veteran

I have caller display so if I see its not giving a number or is "International" I just press the handsfree button on the phone. (CTT 1000)
The microphone is cut off in this state so you can hear whoever it is shouting Hello! Hello! Hello! Hello!
If by any chance its someone you know then you can reply. If not then just let them pay for the privilage of talking to nobody. Wink
N/A

Hi John
Thanks for that information, my phone has no caller display but I think it would be worth while getting one, small price to pay for less interuptions.

They are a real pain these "call centre" calls

going to search the net see if I can find any information, will post here if I do

Cheers
N/A

Try here

Telephone preferential service

I registered for free and after 28 days(approx) the calls all but stopped.

I may get the odd one every now and then. You can also report companies after the 28 day period who still phone you

and it's FREE!!!!

James
N/A

Hi there

Just found that one, and registered, hope it works, but from what you say it will

Many Thanks Tongue
N/A

yep Works just dandy.

Take note every one, this is one for the man on the street. You no longer need to moan in the canteen about those blasted calls. Unless you like being harrassed during your tea.

Has any body had the automated lady leaving you a message on your answering machine(even though you don't own one) to tell you of some fantastic offer. However if you put the phone down and then pic up..... she's still there. No matter if you put down for 15-20 secs she will not go away until she has told you everything..... and I mean everything.

Sorry about the rant but it still bothers me even though I don't get many of these stupid calls :twisted:
N/A

Great stuff

I assume you mean by "fantasic offers"...............holidays etc lol

hey serious, I thank you for the info, was getting a real pain in the b**, always when you sit down for a meal.

will also invest in phone that shows caller number Tongue

Cheers
Community Veteran

Be carefull with the phone though.
I have had two caller display phones that cease to function when my ADSL modem is running. Cry ( The caller display bit that is ).
But the cheepo thing that came as a freebie from BT when they were flogging Caller Display a few years ago never fails.
You could really do with trying to get the shop to agree to accept it back if it won't work under ADSL. Cheesy
N/A

Hi John

Thanks for the info, will check that one out

Cheers

ps there is always someone about, with the right answers here on +net's forum
Community Veteran

I've personally owned three phones with CAD units built-in to them, and not one of them has malfunctioned with ADSL on my line. If you need any help picking a unit, let me know...

Btw, do note that as well as purchasing the CAD unit you will have to pay about £4 a quarter for the service.

Thomas
Community Veteran

Btw, do note that as well as purchasing the CAD unit you will have to pay about £4 a quarter for the service.

Hmm. just cecked an old bill. Its actually £4-46 per quarter plus the dreaded VAT of course. Sad
Having used it I wouldn't like to not have now though. Smiley
Community Veteran

I agree - it's worth the money - if you don't have CAD, you find things are so much easier when you can pick and choose who you answer the phone to!

Thomas
csogilvie
Grafter

BT Offer an annonymous call barring service, which from experience blocks anonymous calls you want to get and lets through the ones you don't want to get...
N/A

Hi
Yes have found that service on BT website, but again its £4 per month.
Have registered with the TPS, will see if that works (its a FREE service) Tongue

Cheers
Community Veteran

Yes, you'd have to be careful with an anonymous call barring service (which, I have to admit, I'd never heard of before)... alot of companies phone from withheld phone numbers when they're phoning you back about something.

Thomas