cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Performance of higher speed connections

N/A

Hello,

I'm really wondering about the actual or perceived performance of these new higher speed 4/8meg DSLMax or ADSL2+ services. I think some users are in for abit of a surprise or even a shock, IMO these new higher speed service wont look much different from the current 2meg service we (most) users presently have here at PlusNet F9.

What do I mean I hear you asking?? well I mean the actual or even the perceived speed at which website pages load wont look much different. But the real differences will only become apparent when downloading data or possibly uploading files?

**I would be most interested in hearing back or feedback from anyone on 4/8 megs service already, is my expectation true? Whats your actual experience of a greater than 2meg service?? Have you found any disadvantages?

Ivan
12 REPLIES
N/A

Cheesy Hi your mentioning DLS Max and ADSL2 do you have to new routers for these new speeds, my current router is Netgear 54 mbps wireless ADSL firewall router DG834G v2 will this be ok for the new speeds or do you think I should invest in a new Max as they are on sale now, I am also using a 54 mbps wireless USB 2.0 thanks
N/A

Hello teresastiles,

OK! thats a good question and here's what I would say in reply. Most recent routers (inc wireless routers) & USB modem's have been designed by the manufacturers knowing that higher speed services would be coming here in the UK in the short term. Most recent devices inc Netgear have been designed to run atleast upto & including an 8meg service.

So as far as I am aware you wont need to change your router or its settings at the moment, it should be fine upto BT's new DSL Max service (i.e. the free F9 PlusNet upgrades currently in process) 4/8megs.

Other higher speeds to come.
However, thats NOT the whole story though. If you are looking ahead beyond the DSL Max (BT service upto 8megs) to the introduction of ADSL2+ with speeds upto 24mega bits per second. Currently BT are not offering this possibility but other network providors will be!! & thats what the big fuss is all about at the moment with F9 PlusNet talking about partnering with LLU such as Tiscarli as LLU providors can and will be offering an ADSL2+ service.

**Basically your current router may or may NOT be able to cope or run ADSL2+ but it should be pretty easy to find out if it can. 1) check any manual you have for the Netgear router this should tell you some were which types of service it can run such as G.DMT, Muti-mode, or G.Lite,etc (modulation types) each type has a related or maximum speed defined. 2) If the information about maximum speeds possible are not in the manual then the next thing I would do is contact Netgear directly via email or phone quoting the exact router model your using.

**In some cases I believe some routers may just need a firmware upgrade to enable them to run ADSL2+ service, again you would need to check with Netgear to find out if that applies in your case.

**I know in my case that my D-Link USB ADSL modem runs a maximum 8megs so if I want 24megs then I'll have to buy new equipement to do that.

ADDITIONAL NOTE: I have just had a look on the netgear website for you under your product & in the data sheet they provide for your router it states the following:
Upgradeable to ADSL 2+ for speeds up to 24 Mbps.

Hope that helps?

Ivan
N/A

Re: Performance of higher speed connections

**I would be most interested in hearing back or feedback from anyone on 4/8 megs service already, is my expectation true? Whats your actual experience of a greater than 2meg service?? Have you found any disadvantages?

I think you need to take a look in the PN feedback newsgroup Ivan, a lot of unhappy bunnies there. The problem seems to be that routers are synching at higher speeds, but actual download speeds are no higher for some users than on 2mb. There are also people on there saying that since their lines have been Max'd, they have seen speed decreases.

I think i'll let the queue jumpers be te guinea pigs for the new speed services, I don't expect to receive more than the 1mb that I currently have.

Mark
N/A

Hi Mark,

Humm!! interesting & YES! I have seen a couple of very unhappy bunnies posting here on the F9 forums too. I'm wondering if these are just the odd theething problems with MAX or does this represent a more sinister kind of deeper rooted issue with the actual technology itself. I guess its very hard to know at this stage.

**But if my memory serves me the initial rollout of ADSL 512K going back about 2-3years wasnt exactly trouble free either. I would be most suprised if there were'nt some initial issues. But I never read why these things happened nor what the solution was in the end, indeed if it ever did get solved.

Ivan
quelquod
Aspiring Pro

A lot depends too on the outgoing bandwidth of the service you're connected to. In many cases these already run more slowly than the nominal 2Mb download speed. You may see quite different results if several connections are running in parallel though.
Democracy - 3 wolves and a lamb voting about what to have for lunch!
N/A

Hi Again,

Ahhum!! excuse my ignorance here but what an earth do you mean by outgoing bandwidth I'm NOT a mind reader, please can you clarify what you meant. Shockedops:

Ivan
astarsolutions
Grafter

The outgoing bandwidth of the web server your connecting to I imagine, although these are usually 5Mb+
N/A

Hi Arthur,

OK !! now I understand the point you were making, Thanks!

Ivan
N/A

thanks

Smiley thanks ivan for all your help and I'll certainly check out the netgear website thanks again
teresa
N/A

The outgoing bandwidth of the web server your connecting to I imagine, although these are usually 5Mb+

Yes, agreed, they are usually high bandwidth however they often are serving several hundreds, sometimes thousands of clients so their effective bandwidth (to you) is much lower and they can become extremely slow as I'm sure you've noticed. This would not improve just because your own bandwidth has increased.
N/A

Hi portmoak,

Yes! I agree with you totally, thats a very good point you make. Unless the server is running via a gigabit output bandwidth which I doubte many are sadly.
Many website's I've used load up as slow as a stuffed pig! for this very reason i.e. too many inbound connections to the server in question, or server unable to cope with so many requests. This is a very common problem as far as I can see.

Ivan
astarsolutions
Grafter

This is the one reason why I wanted the MaxDSL upgrade so much, I host my own sites so a change in upload speed from a quarter meg to 800k made a huge difference.
The sites don't get a huge number of hits so I don't need that much bandwidth although I would still welcome a further increase in upload speed as the full size images on the photo gallery I host still take 5-20s to download!