cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Peak Time Management

deepfatfrier
Grafter

Peak Time Management

Now, before the flamers start descending on this thread like flies, this is not a dig at F9 or the SUP. If I use over 100GB a month, then feel free to burn me at the stake... or just restrict my P2P traffic. :twisted:

I got an email about 2 hours ago telling me that peak time management had been removed from my service. This would have been a perfectly reasonable email, had the following two criteria been met...

(a) If F9 had told me it had been added in the first place.
Looking back through both my GMail and my F9 accounts, there are no emails telling me peak time management had been added. It'd be great if we could get informed if we've gone over the limit, so we know to ease off in future. :lol:

And, the more bizarre...
(b) If I had actually gone over the limits.
Looking back at the figures on the View My Usage page, I haven't gone over 100GB total or 30GB peak time usage any time in the last 3 months (on 2Mb BB Premier). This makes me having got into the PTM band twice in 3 months impossible, and getting into the e-mail band irrelevant (it'd have been added after my 3rd month over the limits, I assume).

This isn't criticising F9 (apart from the interesting lack of communication), just one rather confused netizen wondering if anyone else has had anything like this... :?

[EDIT: Since the SUP page does say "bandwidth values can change", I'll add that the max I have hit in the last 3 months is 61.2GB overall and 18.64GB peak-time.]

Thanks,
Andy.
37 REPLIES
N/A

Peak Time Management

Same thing happened to me and I wasn't notified either in the 1st place.

No warning email has ever been sent to me.

What's going on F9?
ggiannandrea
Grafter

Peak Time Management

what's going on f9....their service is going downhill.....that's what's happening to what I thought was the best isp bar none..my average usage since joining f9 over 2 years has never exceeded 40gb per month...my peak usage is probaly on average 8gb per month..so it may be time to move on
N/A

Peak Time Management

Can someone from Force 9 answer what happened to the warning emails?

please.
deepfatfrier
Grafter

Peak Time Management

Thanks for the replies, people!
Shame no-one from F9 has decided that they need to explain anything they do to their customers...

--Andy
N/A

Peak Time Management

I've sent a PM to jwhiting. She/he seems to post official announcements, so may have an insight into the procedures.

I hope.
N/A

Peak Time Management

Same here just got a congratulations type email telling me now I'm in a new billing period the peak time restrictions have been lifted, full email below. First I heard about it was this email. I though Fair Usage had been abandoned. What are the usage ammounts and if its off peak and on peak usage how on earth do we tell when it is when the usage graph for some unknown reason isn't split into peak and off peak times whats the use of 8 till 4 & 4 till midnight. I know you can subtract the daily use from the total but its not exactly user friendly.

Some answers would be nice. Typical F9.

This email is to notify you that you have successfully passed your billing
date therefore peak-time usage management has been removed from your
service.

To avoid further restrictions to your service please schedule large
downloads for off-peak times.
N/A

Peak Time Management

great, who did you direct that email to?

i contacted jwhiting and got this -

What is most likely to have happened in your case is that you went over the first level by a little, but did so before we had the system in place to notify you of this via email.

Great, eh?
deepfatfrier
Grafter

Peak Time Management

With each time I visit these forums (not so often recently) I get less and less surprised about things like this happening. Is it any wonder people get confused if you implement a restriction without adding a way to notify people at the same time... :?
Ah well, F9 are still better than most other ISPs imo. Let's see if they can make it stay that way - I sure won't be staying around too long if they can't. Sad

--Andy
N/A

Peak Time Management

Jwhiting suggested I raise a ticket regarding this matter.

Here's how F9 responded to it -

It would appear that your account is being managed to help guarantee quality broadband to all of our customers, i would recommend viewing the
following link for furhter information:

http://www.f9.net.uk/support/broadband/network/traffic_management.shtml

Regards,
Mark Poole

--

Just a hurried 'Copy n Paste' - he didnt read my query (non receipt of the warning email) or bother to read this thread - which I'd linked to.

I;ve sent another, hopefully someone will read this one and actually answer it.
N/A

Peak Time Management

Apparently the email from last week (saying I was being taken off peak-time management)

"is not part of the sustainable usage policy, the network management is separate and only applies to p2p, usenet & ftp.

All it means is that your connection will get progressively slower for these protocols past 20GB.

There is no profile to reset as you are not currently on one either."

I'm getting peed off and reckon i'll switch ISPs if i dont get some coherent explaination...
N/A

Peak Time Management

There is something I would like from Force9. An automated process within the Members Centre to allow me to restrict the P2P traffic within the peak time. Thus allowing me to leave my P2P program running all the time but the system would then restrict it.

I do know about the Surf tool but I need to disconnect & reconnect my router to make it work.

Does anyone know of a program that you can restrict certain traffic at certain times?

Cheers

AL
N/A

Peak Time Management

if using p2p (bittorrent) then get hold of Azureus

you can get the plugin that lets you set a speed schedule up and it automatically kicks in, at the relevant time

to run Azureus you'll also need to ensure you're running java, if not install it then Azureus
N/A

Peak Time Management

I received an email on the 17th of this month telling me that Level 1 Broadband Plus usage management has been applied, 3 days later and I received another email from f9 “Level 2 Broadband Plus usage management has been applied to your service”. Like all of you I wish that some sort of warning email would have been sent so that I could have at least curbed downloading during peak hours.

Now I find it unbearable to play games during the evening, for instance, my ventrilo (voice communication software) ping is in the thousands.
Sad
N/A

Peak Time Management

BB+ is more for light users, if you download a lot of p2p or other stuff then I suggest you upgrade to a better package.

I think 5gb peektime is more than ample for this account, if need be more your downloads to go after midnight

Broadband Plus is not suitable for data-intensive applications such as file-sharing and large downloads. As a guideline, Broadband Plus is designed for around 5GB usage at peak times per month. If you think you need more than this, or you use peer-to-peer on a regular basis, take a look at Broadband Premier or Broadband Pay As You Go.