cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Password Protecting a Web Page

N/A

I have built a website for a GB National Training Squad ( www.GBjuniorsquad.org.uk )and want to password protect access to a series of pages which are for the squad members. It does not have to be fancy and you will see that I have created something if you look at the squad only page on the site. However the protection on what I have done has a problem if you hit CR. Can anyone help? Please keep it simple as I use dremweaver and have no real experience of CGI etc.

Thanks

Charles
4 REPLIES
N/A

Replying

Hi,
I think F9 have details about this very subject, if you goto the Tutorials section of the Discussion Forums, have a look at the subject (its quite a way down the page!) called HTACESS this details how to create password protection but I'm not sure if its down to HTML page level or just directories/folders only? Have a look anyway it might be of use to you??

Ivan Smiley
N/A

Thanks Ivan.

Hope to get round to it when the dust settles on the other 10 new sites I'm working on.

Charles

Smiley
N/A

Problems

I have tried to get a folder password protected on my website, I get the password dialog appearing but it does not seem to accept the username/password I entered.
Is the directory path for the www server that is mentioned in the tutorials correct?

/share/isp/force9/www/uu/username/htdocs/directory/.htpasswd

To get your correct path for AuthUserFile just replace uu with the first 2 chars of your username, username with your username and directory with the name of the folder/directory you want to password protect.

Thanks
N/A

A couple of ideas:[list=1]
  • Did you use the usertools .htpasswd utility to generate your .htpasswd file?

• Are you sure you've specified directory correctly?[/listShocked]